5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Gen Stock Stereo Upgrade Options?

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was hoping he still had the factory box, that way it could be measured...that pioneer only requires 3 1/8'' for mounting depth. Stuff that plasticy box with some pillow filling and might not sound half bad.
You could make it work. It would be close on depth but you could always add a spacer ring to help clear it. You will have to run an aftermarket amp regardless. The factory Alpine sub is a triple voice coil and nobody makes those. Using a different sub you will lose one channel of power (around 50 rms) and without that it’s not enough.

Last edited:

7amada

Reaction score
I wouldn't bother with coaxial in the doors. Just use component 6x9 and throw out the tweeters. Components anywhere else would get difficult and require a custom install since the stock speaker locations for the mids/tweeters are all coax.

you would use components in-both the front and rear?

Waterfowler41

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wouldn't bother with coaxial in the doors. Just use component 6x9 and throw out the tweeters. Components anywhere else would get difficult and require a custom install since the stock speaker locations for the mids/tweeters are all coax.

So you’d recommend installing a 6x9 component speaker (which will require a crossover per side) but not the tweeter that comes with the kit?

I’m all for components as they help with sound imaging but where are you placing the crossover? Inside the door?

I had Infinity Kappas in my GMC. I used factory signal in the door to feed the crossover, then added my own wire for the 6.5” main speaker and the 1” tweeter installed in my sail panel. All wiring was inside the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SgtM

Reaction score
Update on my install of a complete upgrade from a base 6 with ANC.
I've not had a single issue with Polarity or anything at this point. Picked up the ANC bypass plug that I intend on using to tap for my sub install once they arrive. Dash and Doors couldn't have been more simple. I picked up the speakers from Crutchfield and got the converter plugs for free with the purchase. Really just plug and play. No polarity issues and honestly reading this thread made me much more concerned than I needed to be in the end. Not to say the Sub install won't present it's own issues but I'll update when that's completed. Don't over think it folks. Maybe because I'm not concerned with keeping the ANC I've not had some of the issues others talk about.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
you would use components in-both the front and rear?
I used components because I specifically wanted a matching Infinity Reference series 6x9 which was only sold as a component kit. Used the 6x9 and nothing else.
So you’d recommend installing a 6x9 component speaker (which will require a crossover per side) but not the tweeter that comes with the kit?
Depends on your system. HK audio has crossover built into the amp, so no crossover is needed in the door. Where would you install the component tweeter? That's another issue to deal with since all the other speakers are 3.5".

7amada

Reaction score
Anyone interested in splitting a set of infinity kappa 300 midrange speaker for the center dash.

got a tip from a sound guru that it will sound good with upgraded dash speakers

they are 170 so it will be 85 each

Waterfowler41

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone interested in splitting a set of infinity kappa 300 midrange speaker for the center dash.

I used kappa components in my last truck. Kappas are great speakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I'd love to use higher quality speakers like that, but I'd be afraid of some issues. That is a deep speaker - will it even fit? And you're losing a tweeter, which isn't a huge deal for just the center speaker, but you're also going to be mismatching against the left and right dash speakers which could lead to volume differences unless the speakers are equally efficient (unlikely). Center could be too loud or too quiet.

7amada

Reaction score
I'd love to use higher quality speakers like that, but I'd be afraid of some issues. That is a deep speaker - will it even fit? And you're losing a tweeter, which isn't a huge deal for just the center speaker, but you're also going to be mismatching against the left and right dash speakers which could lead to volume differences unless the speakers are equally efficient (unlikely). Center could be too loud or too quiet.

I have already upgraded my dash and thought adding the same speaker to the center dash might be too much highs thus thinking about adding a midrange to even it out.

contacted crutchfield and they said it would fit. Worse case scenario i can return it.

now need someone to grab the other speaker as they only come in pairs

jabara572

Reaction score
Base 6 speaker system here.

I need some help. I already did kicker 3.5s in the dash. Great improvement. Did infinity ref 9632ix in the rear..wow even better, excellent bass. Added a 10" powred sun behind the wall carpet....even more bass.. sounding almost perfect to me.

Then I felt I blew one of the front door speakers, so I decided why not get more infinities for the front. Got the 2 way 6x9s I think they're red 9623ix or something like that. Installed them and wow....whole system sounds like CRAP due to INSANE trebel. I was previously running about -3 rebel and it sounded great. Now maxxed out at -9 trebel and feel like it would sound good at -20 if that was an option. Are these speakers just duds? I can't believe the 3 ways with dual tweeters in the rear sound perfect and the 2 ways up front have piercing tinny super bright highs that give me a headache after 5 minutes.

So bad I want to put the stock front door speakers back in... Whole system goes twice as loud as I would ever want them to so I wasn't planning on amping them. What can I do? Try new front door speakers? Add a high pass blocker? Cut the tweeter wires on the front?

jabara572

Reaction score
Also FYI the Infinity REF 9632ix (2 ways) do not fit perfectly in my front door. Driver side hits the window going up. It still works but theres definitely some interference. Going to have to space it out.

Since I dont want to amp my speakers yet Im thinking of just disconnecting the tweeter on the front infinities. I read the front door speakers were crossed over and didnt get a full signal, but i can tell you on a 6 speaker setup they are 1000% getting a full signal.

How would i go about disconnecting the tweeters? I see 2 sets of wires, one that goes to the bottom big magnet (im guessing thats for the woofer) and two copper wires that go into the center. Is it those?

SgtM

Reaction score
Final Update

Base 6 with ANC complete upgrade of speaker system complete. Installed my subs last night and it couldn't have been easier. Used the LC7i for my LOC and picked up the $10 ANC delete from Crutch-field to do both the delete and give me access to the speaker wires while leaving the factory wiring alone completely. Just tapped into the Green and Purple lines on that harness. Installed my 2 10" in a down facing box and it sounds fantastic. No issues at all and it actually couldn't have been easier.

Last edited:

FFemerson

Reaction score
PAC does make an ANC bypass. It’s the APH-CH01. Works even in the base model. I used it and it was super easy to set up, and works wonderfully.

7amada

Reaction score
I wish i knew how to do all this. Big time music listner but never attempted to do a big upgrade and scared to do so,

dash upgraded with JL’s though :)

braggster

Reaction score
Also FYI the Infinity REF 9632ix (2 ways) do not fit perfectly in my front door. Driver side hits the window going up. It still works but theres definitely some interference. Going to have to space it out.

Since I dont want to amp my speakers yet Im thinking of just disconnecting the tweeter on the front infinities. I read the front door speakers were crossed over and didnt get a full signal, but i can tell you on a 6 speaker setup they are 1000% getting a full signal.

How would i go about disconnecting the tweeters? I see 2 sets of wires, one that goes to the bottom big magnet (im guessing thats for the woofer) and two copper wires that go into the center. Is it those?
I just installed those infinity's in my front doors and have no issues other than the window hitting the speaker wire. I mounted mine with the window down to ensure there was clearance. When I open the door back up to swap out the 3.5's I will fix the speaker wire issue and look to see if there are any rub marks on the speaker.

SgtM

Reaction score
I wish i knew how to do all this. Big time music listner but never attempted to do a big upgrade and scared to do so,

dash upgraded with JL’s though :)
There's really no reason to be. As long as you don't play the game of trying to understand and figure out the ANC, it's actually easier than most cars I've ever done. The bonus of doing it with the ANC bypass is you can tap right into that harness' wires. Then if you really don't want to hear the sub, you can just disconnect the bypass plug that your LOC is tapped into and plug the ANC back in. Reading this thread makes it seem much worse than it really is.

7amada

Reaction score
There's really no reason to be. As long as you don't play the game of trying to understand and figure out the ANC, it's actually easier than most cars I've ever done. The bonus of doing it with the ANC bypass is you can tap right into that harness' wires. Then if you really don't want to hear the sub, you can just disconnect the bypass plug that your LOC is tapped into and plug the ANC back in. Reading this thread makes it seem much worse than it really is.
We need to connect so you can explain this to me much better.

alexsad66

Reaction score
Final Update

Base 6 with ANC complete upgrade of speaker system complete. Installed my subs last night and it couldn't have been easier. Used the LC7i for my LOC and picked up the $10 ANC delete from Crutch-field to do both the delete and give me access to the speaker wires while leaving the factory wiring alone completely. Just tapped into the Green and Purple lines on that harness. Installed my 2 10" in a down facing box and it sounds fantastic. No issues at all and it actually couldn't have been easier.
Can you please post a link to the ANC delete harness from crutchfield for $10? I saw the PAC one on there for $30 but I don't wanna to have to pay more if they do the same thing.

Gozar

Reaction score
So I bought the Kicker Key 180.4 amp someone else used here, then my wife bought an install from Best Buy don't laugh) today they tried to tell me these 2019s are notorious for not seeing the correct load so they could not complete the install (I even ordered the ANC bypass from Net Audio) and that I would have to order load resistors. Are they full of it, I thought the key amp took high level inputs so it should have worked even if they did not bypass the stock amp but they said no.
Any input would be helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread