5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Gen Stock Stereo Upgrade Options?

Gozar

Reaction score
Call me crazy but I decided to do more to my stock system.
I had swapped out the dash speakers for a pr of Infinity 3032, but the sound has just pushed too much forward, I think the 3032's have less resistance then the door speakers.

So I bought the Kenwood eXcelon KFC-XP6903C component kit with 3.5" 2-way dash and 6x9 woofer speaker, and a pr of the Kenwood eXcelon KFC-X694 6x9 co-axial for the rear doors. As soon as I get my truck back from the dealer with its new Hybrid Power Unit I will do the deed. It was driving the loaner that really highlighted how much of the mids come from the door compared to my truck where the dash speakers overpower the front doors. View attachment 39447 View attachment 39448
The speakers are in and the overall improvement is noticeable.
The blend from dash to front door to rear door is much better now.
The overall audio quality is slightly improved over the Infinity dash + OEM so I am happy, I am sure an amp would make it better still.
If you have the base 6 speakers the Kenwood's are worth consideration as an upgrade

MBORO19RAM

Reaction score
Completely finished with my install and here's my thoughts -
Started with a 2019 Ram 1500 base 6 speaker system
step 1 - Replaced all the speakers with JBL, specs are close to the C2 everyone is going with, No issues with ANC, 6x9 fit in all doors without spacers
step 2 - Installed cable from Netaudio - I can't say enough about Paul and his crew at netaudio, he has help with every question I had
step 3 - Installed LC6i, 5 Channel amp - Routing the wires was a PITA!! Removing all seats, and storage bucket helped,
step 4 - installed sub box from Fox and 2 10" kicker subs
Sound a 1000% better then stock and booms like crazy for 10" subs

Lesson learned -
1. Sound proofing hurts, I'd recommend removing the plastic cover and disconnecting the window to do the entire door, I will need to go back in the spring. Also recommend do the entire rear cab
2. Road kill foam is a waste of money
3. Don't over think it, the base 6 speaker system is super simple to upgrade, I really got my self worked up and honestly it was easier then replacing the HU
4. The rear seat folding mod worked like a champ

I'll post pictures when it gets warm again, in the mean time any questions feel free to ask while it's fresh in my head. Next up is lifting this thing and bigger tires

Any rear seat folding mod info?

augustwilldecay

Reaction score
WOW, that helps a ton!! Thanks so much :)

Does it show wiring for the speakers by any chance? And/or schematics for the outputs from the factory deck? Mainly I'd like to know if there are pre-amp outputs to that amp. And if so, is it for each channel seperately (front/rear and left/right).

This is excellent, thanks again. Boy, I'd love to spend an evening with the Service Manual. lol.

Hey did you ever end up getting a hold of the wiring diagram for the line level speaker inputs ?

Reaction score
Hey all.. I have been reading through this thread and others, while there is a ton of great information I have to say it is a bit overwhelming with the ohms, sensitivity and of course will they fit.

I have a 2019 Lonestar (new body style) with the 8.4 display and base 6 speakers. What I wanted to ask is as follows:

Which of these speakers if any will be a direct drop in replacement? According to crutchfield the majority of these dont fit which I do not believe. The website says there is only 1 6x9 that will fit in the front door. I do want to keep all 6 the same brand I am just picky that way. I am not installing an amp or sub at this time. What I dont want to do is have to install bass blockers or anything extra. Literally I am wanting a plug an play swap.

Rockford Fosgate
Dash - P132 - 4 ohm
Doors T1692/T1693 2way/3way - 4 ohm

JL Audio
Dash - C2-350x - 4 ohm
Doors - C1-690x, C1-690TX, C2-690TX - 4 ohm

Infinity
Dash - 3032cfx - 3 ohm
Doors - 9632ix/9633ix 2way/3way - 3 ohm

I am open to other brands if yall recommend one that would be better than what I have listed here.

I know I will need the following:
Metra 72-7902 - dash
Metra 71-050 - doors x2
Possibly 6x9 spacers fir front doors.

Also for a set up such as this with the 6 speakers is there a benefit of doing 3 ways in all 4 doors or 2 ways in the front, 3 ways in the rear ect.

Thanks yall! Any input is much appreciated. I know this is a "dead horse" subject.

MBORO19RAM

Reaction score
Hey all.. I have been reading through this thread and others, while there is a ton of great information I have to say it is a bit overwhelming with the ohms, sensitivity and of course will they fit.

I have a 2019 Lonestar (new body style) with the 8.4 display and base 6 speakers. What I wanted to ask is as follows:

Which of these speakers if any will be a direct drop in replacement? According to crutchfield the majority of these dont fit which I do not believe. The website says there is only 1 6x9 that will fit in the front door. I do want to keep all 6 the same brand I am just picky that way. I am not installing an amp or sub at this time. What I dont want to do is have to install bass blockers or anything extra. Literally I am wanting a plug an play swap.

Rockford Fosgate
Dash - P132 - 4 ohm
Doors T1692/T1693 2way/3way - 4 ohm

JL Audio
Dash - C2-350x - 4 ohm
Doors - C1-690x, C1-690TX, C2-690TX - 4 ohm

Infinity
Dash - 3032cfx - 3 ohm
Doors - 9632ix/9633ix 2way/3way - 3 ohm

I am open to other brands if yall recommend one that would be better than what I have listed here.

I know I will need the following:
Metra 72-7902 - dash
Metra 71-050 - doors x2
Possibly 6x9 spacers fir front doors.

Also for a set up such as this with the 6 speakers is there a benefit of doing 3 ways in all 4 doors or 2 ways in the front, 3 ways in the rear ect.

Thanks yall! Any input is much appreciated. I know this is a "dead horse" subject.

I am sending back my Infinity 3032-cfx 3.5" as they sounded like crap to me. They would cut out and pop above 22-24 volume. Bass blockers are a must with these and can be installed on Metra 72-7902 harness and keep your stock harness in tack.

Reaction score
I am sending back my Infinity 3032-cfx 3.5" as they sounded like crap to me. They would cut out and pop above 22-24 volume. Bass blockers are a must with these and can be installed on Metra 72-7902 harness and keep your stock harness in tack.

well crap... hate to hear they sounded bad at that volume level. 24 to 26 is usually where i have it when i want it loud. while i didnt want to deal with bass blockers i see they really are plug and play but now my question is which one? i see 4 list 150, 300, 600 and 5k.

any idea which ones you are going to go with instead?

crangel

Reaction score

What system do you have? Base? Alpine?

Marky Mark

Reaction score
I have gathered mucho info for my upcoming stereo build from everyone's input here.....And I am sure this info is somewhere in this post. For those of us with the Alpine 9 speaker system, can someone re-post the suggested speaker size/locations please.

And luckily for me I have a CH41 along with the AX-DSP already from when I had a stereo build in my last Charger.

Hockeydad

Reaction score
I have gathered mucho info for my upcoming stereo build from everyone's input here.....And I am sure this info is somewhere in this post. For those of us with the Alpine 9 speaker system, can someone re-post the suggested speaker size/locations please.

And luckily for me I have a CH41 along with the AX-DSP already from when I had a stereo build in my last Charger.
Dash and rear headliner are 3.5 but rear headliner will need a little fabrication to use the original holes at least for the infinity speakers. Doors are 6x9 at least rear doors are the front doors are the only ones I have not replaced yet but have heard they are the same.

Marky Mark

Reaction score
Dash and rear headliner are 3.5 but rear headliner will need a little fabrication to use the original holes at least for the infinity speakers. Doors are 6x9 at least rear doors are the front doors are the only ones I have not replaced yet but have heard they are the same.
Thanks mucho for that info!

Leff

Reaction score
Right up front I'll mention, although I was initially having intermittent ANC problems before I changed speakers, the ANC problem has gotten worse after replacing my 6x9s. Now the ANC is generating loud droning noise in conjunction with specific RPMs (eg 1500, 2500). After test driving it is persistent and unacceptable, so I have deactivated the ANC system using this procedure. I will do without the ANC system until I can have it tested by service. UPDATED 5/31/19: Ram service has a TSB to fix the ANC, worked for my system, now I have upgraded speakers AND no hum/drone. :)

My JL Audio 6x9s arrived and are now installed.

Install: Overall the install was easy after I figured out the door panels (previous post). The speakers themselves fit fine (see wire harness caution next), and I could fit the bushing/spacers on top of the speaker too (these protect the tweeter). I had to tuck/wrap the cable harnesses carefully to the sides of the speaker because if you don't they will hang down in front of the window mechanism... had a scare when testing window movement, my left speaker went out. Turns out the window had snagged the connector and yanked it off. After opening the door panel up, reconnecting the harness, and tucking it to the side everything seems to fit fine.

Sound: The sound is quite good (according to my ears) for a base system upgrade. I'm only a mild audiophile, so YMMV of course. The volume balance between the dash JL 3.5s and the door JL 6x9s is spot-on perfect! I've been experimenting with equalizer and balance settings... so far I find a perfectly centered balance setting works great. I have set the bass and midrange at +4 and the treble at +2 or +3... sounds nice although it depends on the music type I'm listening to. I like bass and vocals, and usually prefer rounding off the treble. I think the JLs have a nice gentle tweeter which is what drew me to them. Not excessively bright.

My bottom line: If you want to do a speaker swap the JL C2 line is a good one to go with for sound quality, as long as you don't mind trimming the 3.5" speaker a bit, being careful with the 6x9 wire harness routing, and if you are ready to potentially DISABLE the ANC system. For me the sound quality was easily worth the hassle, I am a much happier listener now that those 6 flat lifeless stock speakers are gone.
I havent had ANC issues until I put some the job's in and now I get a loud drone and vibration while driving. In park it's fine. Any ideas?

lunchboxphil

Reaction score
I've been doing research via this forum, youtube and online chats. Chose to only upgrade the speakers in my base 6 system in my Rebel. Total cost was under $200.

Dash Speakers from Walmart ($37.46/pr)
KICKER 44KSC3504 3.5" (89mm) Coax Spkrs w/.5"(13mm) tweeters, 4ohm, RoHS Compliant

Walmart # 564193356

2 sets of Door Speakers from Best Buy ($64.99/pr)
JBL - GX Series 6" x 9" 3-Way Car Loudspeakers with Polypropylene Cones (Pair) - Orange/Black
Model:GX9638
SKU:6283669

Also picked up a 2 pack of Metra adapters (4 total) 72-6514 for $10.39 from Amazon. Had to swap around the wires to reverse polarity, but was easy using an eyeglass screwdriver to push the plastic retaining clip up. I just wired in the dash speakers.

Holes don't line up perfect in the door speakers, but I just trimmed some away with a wire snips. Had some troubles removing the door panel's in the Rebel, wasn't exactly 1-2-3, but worked out in the end. Thanks to all who've contributed here and on other threads concerning upgrading the system. Sounds great!!

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I havent had ANC issues until I put some the job's in and now I get a loud drone and vibration while driving. In park it's fine. Any ideas?
Have you had the TSB done to update the ANC? That's what fixed mine... good luck.

sman301

Reaction score
Ok finally upgraded my door speakers yesterday to the JL audio C2 6x9. I didn't do the dash yet.

The bass is decent but not crazy. It could use a woofer to get those sub base frequencies out. I had to turn down the treble because the highs were somewhat overpowering but the system seem more balance now. The mids are excellent. Overall a good upgrade for just changing door speakers. Overall no volume loss. Volume gain in the highs and mids. Bass is about the same

1 issue I notice is the doors speakers are all out of phase and the dash speakers are in phase. Weird. I think I'm going match dash to the doors so at least all speakers are in phase with each other. What do you guys think? Or should i change the doors to the correct phase. Need some help here.

Another thing, I had an anc drone before the upgrade. After the upgrade it is gone. 2 birds 1 stone i guess.

sman301 sman301 sman301

Turbo1895

Reaction score
Ok finally upgraded my door speakers yesterday to the JL audio C2 6x9. I didn't do the dash yet.

The bass is decent but not crazy. It could use a woofer to get those sub base frequencies out. I had to turn down the treble because the highs were somewhat overpowering but the system seem more balance now. The mids are excellent. Overall a good upgrade for just changing door speakers. Overall no volume loss. Volume gain in the highs and mids. Bass is about the same

1 issue I notice is the doors speakers are all out of phase and the dash speakers are in phase. Weird. I think I'm going match dash to the doors so at least all speakers are in phase with each other. What do you guys think? Or should i change the doors to the correct phase. Need some help here.

Another thing, I had an anc drone before the upgrade. After the upgrade it is gone. 2 birds 1 stone i guess.

sman301 sman301 sman301
I would and did put all of the speakers in the same correct phase when I replaced mine. I also installed the same speakers and they are awesome but your right the bass is still lacking and that is only going to be solved by adding a sub or 2. I was told by a few people that sound deadening the doors will increase the bass out of these door speakers but I haven't gotten to that just yet. As it is, I spent the entire weekend sound deading the entire rear of the cab, running the power and rca cables, and installing the amp mounting board on the rear wall of the cab, for the subwoofers that I am going to install. Right now I am waiting on the fox acoustic dual 10" sub box to arrive and I can finally complete the full upgrade. This weekend I Spent a solid 14 hours working and picking up parts and my truck appears no different and sounds exactly the same as it did when I started.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread