5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Gen DRL's - What's up?

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just for the record, enabling the DRL's does NOT lower the intensity of the standard LED low beam headlights.
DRL's are exactly the same brightness as the low beams. So basically enabling DRL's is like saying I want my low beams on all the time.

HydroRebel

Reaction score
Just for the record, enabling the DRL's does NOT lower the intensity of the standard LED low beam headlights.
DRL's are exactly the same brightness as the low beams. So basically enabling DRL's is like saying I want my low beams on all the time.
You're correct, that's the way they come from the factory. There is an option in Alfaobd to change the target voltage for the DRL's to a bunch of different options (15 or so I forget). According to the info I pulled on my own truck the DRL target voltage is set at 12.2V. I'm fine with that having changed DRL location to the amber turn signals. I did notice the target voltage for low beam is set at 13.6V so there might actually be a slight difference but our eyes can't tell.

Last edited:

Seanbeck1

Reaction score
I’m also from Canada. Once us Canadians have turned off our DRLs using either Tazer or AlohaOBD, is it possible to increase the brightness of the halos?

I personally have the AlohaOBD app along with the Bluetooth module from my 4th Gen Ram. I haven’t used it yet on my 5th Gen. I hear there is a bypass module that I need for it to work? Could someone provide me with a link to it if so?

JustCallMeD

Reaction score
I’m also from Canada. Once us Canadians have turned off our DRLs using either Tazer or AlohaOBD, is it possible to increase the brightness of the halos?

I personally have the AlohaOBD app along with the Bluetooth module from my 4th Gen Ram. I haven’t used it yet on my 5th Gen. I hear there is a bypass module that I need for it to work? Could someone provide me with a link to it if so?
I did it on my truck. 2020 limited. Turned off the headlights as daytime running lights and only have the LED strips on now. The LED strips are at full brightness with the lights off and when you turn on the lights, even just parking lights, the LED strips dim down a bit.
The LED in full brightness are more than enough to run as DRL's now when they are not dim.
Added bonus, if you just turn on the parking lights, you can turn on the fog lights alone so it will be the LED strips and fogs, no headlights on.
All done with Alfa OBD, I used a zautomotive bypass module to do it.

nco415

Reaction score
I did it on my truck. 2020 limited. Turned off the headlights as daytime running lights and only have the LED strips on now. The LED strips are at full brightness with the lights off and when you turn on the lights, even just parking lights, the LED strips dim down a bit.
The LED in full brightness are more than enough to run as DRL's now when they are not dim.
Added bonus, if you just turn on the parking lights, you can turn on the fog lights alone so it will be the LED strips and fogs, no headlights on.
Did you use alfOBD? Would you be able to post what settings you changed to accomplish this please, I would love to be able to do that.

Thanks

JustCallMeD

Reaction score
Did you use alfOBD? Would you be able to post what settings you changed to accomplish this please, I would love to be able to do that.

Thanks
Ya Alfaobd, I can't recall exactly but this is what Alexey from Alfa sent:
DRL delete -> see BCM -> Car Configuration Change -> “CBC Features - DRL Configuration”

Pretty sure that was it...

Malko2019

Reaction score
Hi, I'm wanting to do exactly the same what you have done on my 2019 ram imported from Canada. You said you did this with AlfaOBD could you explain please what I would need to buy and where from to do the same what you have done and do I need to use a phone/laptop? I have an apple phone ios. Really struggling with making the best choice as heard so many different options and equipment used.

HydroRebel

Reaction score
Hi, I'm wanting to do exactly the same what you have done on my 2019 ram imported from Canada. You said you did this with AlfaOBD could you explain please what I would need to buy and where from to do the same what you have done and do I need to use a phone/laptop? I have an apple phone ios. Really struggling with making the best choice as heard so many different options and equipment used.
First, you need an OBD2 reader (mine is a cheap OBD2 reader that I bought off Amazon over 6 years ago but works fine with Alfaobd). You also need a security gateway bypass. I bought mine from Amazon also. Next you need either an Android phone/tablet or a Windows based PC to install Alfaobd on as it doesn't support IOS.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score

you unplug the SGW cables and plug them into that. Then you use THAT OBD2 port, not the trucks OBD2.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
On my 16' Rebel the DRL's were the yellow turn signal when the light switch was off. For 2019 it's the upper and lower strips and the low beams.

Anyone know if the 19's can just have the lower strip or upper as the DRL?
The upper and lower LED strips are not DRLs. Those are accent lights.
The low beams are the DRLs.

Cheers,

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Couple of solutions/answers to some of the posts here in general:
I would choose AlfaOBD over Tazer, because AlfaOBD is a far more power tool, and you have more control over what gets changed in the BCM. It’s also the closest thing you can get to a dealer level scan tool, and can connect to all modules.
For Canadian DRL trucks, if you want to just permanently disable DRLs, you would just set CBC Features DRL configuration to NO DRL. This will shut them off until you use AlfaOBD to change that setting again.
If you want to set them up like a US market Truck, you would set CBC Features DRL configuration to OPTIONAL, and set CustSetMenu 1 daytime running lights CSM Present to YES. This will put the setting in the radio to toggle them on/off whenever you want.

The accent lights can’t be toggled on/off via any type of setting equipped on the truck, but you can disable them with AlfaOBD by setting CBC Extern.Light Calib. Signature light present to NO.
If you want to configure the accent lights to be the DRLs (only come on in gear), and to be brighter than what they are from factory, make the following changes:
CBC Features DRL Configuration- OPTIONAL
CBC Features DRL Lamp Location- DEDICATED
CBC Features DRL Dropout Enabled- YES
CBC Extern.Light Calib. Signature Light Present- NO
CBC Extern.Light Calib. Left Side (and right side) DRL Voltage Target- 7.4 (but can be raised)
CustSetMenu 1 daytime running lights CSM Present- YES
The above settings will make the upper and lower LED accent strips the DRLs (no other lights on). They will only come on in gear, they will be brighter than they were as accent lighting, the accent strips will “drop out” on the side that the turn signal is being used on, and they can be toggled on/off in the radio settings.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I would choose AlfaOBD over Tazer, because AlfaOBD is a far more power tool, and you have more control over what gets changed in the BCM. It’s also the closest thing you can get to a dealer level scan tool, and can connect to all modules.
For Canadian DRL trucks, if you want to just permanently disable DRLs, you would just set CBC Features DRL configuration to NO DRL. This will shut them off until you use AlfaOBD to change that setting again.
If you want to set them up like a US market Truck, you would set CBC Features DRL configuration to OPTIONAL, and set CustSetMenu 1 daytime running lights CSM Present to YES. This will put the setting in the radio to toggle them on/off whenever you want.

The accent lights can’t be toggled on/off via any type of setting equipped on the truck, but you can disable them with AlfaOBD by setting CBC Extern.Light Calib. Signature light present to NO.
If you want to configure the accent lights to be the DRLs (only come on in gear), and to be brighter than what they are from factory, make the following changes:
CBC Extern.Light Calib. Left Side (and right side) DRL Voltage Target- 7.4 (but can be raised)
The above settings will make the upper and lower LED accent strips the DRLs (no other lights on). They will only come on in gear, they will be brighter than they were as accent lighting, the accent strips will “drop out” on the side that the turn signal is being used on, and they can be toggled on/off in the radio settings.
Great write up.

Malko2019

Reaction score
Thank you all so much. Great replies and will really help me get this sorted.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Where do I get The security gateway pass?
Look up

JustCallMeD

Reaction score

Excellent write up!

nco415

Reaction score

Awesome write up Jimmy

HydroRebel

Reaction score

This is a great write up. Only one difference my 2020 Rebel came from the factory with

DRL Configuration: No DRL
DRL Location: Low Beam

My low beams were still DRL's with this setup though I thought it was a little odd that it wasn't set to "Canada DRL" or even "Optional DRL". Glad to see that the accent lights can be either fully disabled with Alfaobd or used as DRL's. I like the turn signals as DRL'S but I might give this a try and see how it looks.

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
trying to decide between the alpha and tazer... not Sure I need to be so far into the programming as to warrant the alpha. I’m a plug and play kinda guy... seems the tazer might be a little easier ? Another note, anyone have any photos of their drl’s with the turn signals as their running lights. I tried to take a photo of my truck with the flashers on... would it look like this with the LED strip on the bottom on... ?

Attachments

• F6A8CCA6-D02C-483F-A363-AB8E66A7E872.jpeg
    F6A8CCA6-D02C-483F-A363-AB8E66A7E872.jpeg
    164.1 KB · Views: 144

Users who are viewing this thread