5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Gen DRL's - What's up?

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@VaderRebel — much apologies sir. Not to fill with excuses, it’s been busy time in work and family time as of late. I have not forgotten or blown it off.

Creep0321

Reaction score
Does any one have any pictures of the different DRL setups the Tazer offers?

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is there any other competetor to the Tazer that does the same or about the same? Has anyone on here used it yet and can speak to its ease of use? I wish the Camera view worked with the 12" screen and it would be nice to have the side cameras work with each side blinker.

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I am trying to figure this out, for the USA. If I turn on the DRL in the uConnect, the whole light comes on (I think at a lower output). Are we able to run just the top and bottom LEDs of the headlights? I thought taking the headlights off "auto" and putting on the "parking lights" might do it but I cant see it working during the day. Might work but I just cant see because I am driving but when I am behind a car it looks like all my lights are off in the reflection of their bumper. Thoughts?

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I am trying to figure this out, for the USA. If I turn on the DRL in the uConnect, the whole light comes on (I think at a lower output). Are we able to run just the top and bottom LEDs of the headlights? I thought taking the headlights off "auto" and putting on the "parking lights" might do it but I cant see it working during the day. Might work but I just cant see because I am driving but when I am behind a car it looks like all my lights are off in the reflection of their bumper. Thoughts?
Turn the DRL off in uconnect the accent lights are not effected by the DRL mode and will still be lit even with DRL off. The top and bottom accent lights are not bright enough to be considered DRLs and therefore the DRL can't be turned off in Canada I'm guessing they are a requirement.

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
Turn the DRL off in uconnect the accent lights are not effected by the DRL mode and will still be lit even with DRL off. The top and bottom accent lights are not bright enough to be considered DRLs and therefore the DRL can't be turned off in Canada I'm guessing they are a requirement.
DRL is off in uConnect. Do I need to have the "parking lights" on or would it still show in "auto" mode?

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm going to contact the Tazer DT folks and see if it's compatible with Canadian trucks.

airvista66

Reaction score
You can turn off DRL's in the UConnect settings and that will turn off the low-output headlights as DRL's. You will still have the upper and lower LED strips whenever the truck is running.
A few folks are looking at how to make those brighter so they can be standalone DRL's.
Any word on making the top and bottom strips of white LED brighter? Can't come up with any info on that.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not sure if you could make the strips brighter. That said if you look at other makes with the full LED DRL's the DRL turns off when the turn signal is turned on. With the Ram the strip is dim enough that they are not required to make it turn off with the turn signal. If you were to make them brighter you would probably need to find a way to turn the DRL off when the turn signal is turned on so it can still be scene.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tazer or alpha OBD will let you make anything your DRL alone or in combination, or none at all. Low beam, high beam at % power, white LED halo, Amber turn signals, fog lamps. your choice. uconnect just lets you turn off the headlights. halos are always on, but drop with signal activation. you can also choose wih tazer or alpha to not drop, except if you use amber.

Coltonweston

Reaction score
Tazer or alpha OBD will let you make anything your DRL alone or in combination, or none at all. Low beam, high beam at % power, white LED halo, Amber turn signals, fog lamps. your choice. uconnect just lets you turn off the headlights. halos are always on, but drop with signal activation. you can also choose wih tazer or alpha to not drop, except if you use amber.

Can you confirm that the tazer will work for turning off DRL’s on a Canadian truck? since we can’t do it through our settings In the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tazer uses code injection to bypass most things ( aka live features like the lightshows and windows up and down ). It should work, unless FCA drastically changed something. AFAIK with alphaOBD you can just change your locality/region to reenable it. alphaobd is only $50, plus a elm237 adaptor ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HXGX8V6 ). I have both a obdlink mx and a knock off elm237 and they are the same. the obdlink is slightly faster and in no way is worth the premium.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey did you happen to find out if it’ll work with Canadian trucks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, buy with confidence, excellent product and amazing customer support! They are available 7 days a week via text message for support calls! Best mod for a modern Ram, next to a throttle controller in my humble opinion!

HydroRebel

Reaction score
I personally feel Alfaobd is the better bang for your buck. Not knocking the Tazer by no means but the amount of other things you can do with Alfaobd is phenomenal. Regarding DRL's I used Alfa to set the DRL's to turn signals. Also added the option to the unconnect menu to turn them off completely. There doesn't appear to be any method of disabling the accent lights that I can see. I remember on my 4th gen the amber turn signals were always on even with the headlights but on the 5th gen they turn off when the headlights are on.

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Even though you think alpha orb is the better way to go, the tazer dt has the option to disable those accent lights (halos)

Users who are viewing this thread