5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Gen DRL's - What's up?

Seanbeck1

Reaction score
Couple of solutions/answers to some of the posts here in general:
I would choose AlfaOBD over Tazer, because AlfaOBD is a far more power tool, and you have more control over what gets changed in the BCM. It’s also the closest thing you can get to a dealer level scan tool, and can connect to all modules.
For Canadian DRL trucks, if you want to just permanently disable DRLs, you would just set CBC Features DRL configuration to NO DRL. This will shut them off until you use AlfaOBD to change that setting again.
If you want to set them up like a US market Truck, you would set CBC Features DRL configuration to OPTIONAL, and set CustSetMenu 1 daytime running lights CSM Present to YES. This will put the setting in the radio to toggle them on/off whenever you want.

The accent lights can’t be toggled on/off via any type of setting equipped on the truck, but you can disable them with AlfaOBD by setting CBC Extern.Light Calib. Signature light present to NO.
If you want to configure the accent lights to be the DRLs (only come on in gear), and to be brighter than what they are from factory, make the following changes:
CBC Features DRL Configuration- OPTIONAL
CBC Features DRL Lamp Location- DEDICATED
CBC Features DRL Dropout Enabled- YES
CBC Extern.Light Calib. Signature Light Present- NO
CBC Extern.Light Calib. Left Side (and right side) DRL Voltage Target- 7.4 (but can be raised)
CustSetMenu 1 daytime running lights CSM Present- YES
The above settings will make the upper and lower LED accent strips the DRLs (no other lights on). They will only come on in gear, they will be brighter than they were as accent lighting, the accent strips will “drop out” on the side that the turn signal is being used on, and they can be toggled on/off in the radio settings.

Great write up. Just ordered my bypass harness. Cant wait to change my Canadian DRL's

Daychris1

Reaction score
Same to me i chasing dealer services 3 times for this and they said the engineer said it is standard for CA cant turn off. It is dump why strip light and low beam same and it just only strip if you apply parking brakes. Turn out light knob is useless because low beam on all the time.
Just a thought, Pull the DRL fuse?

Arth

Reaction score
I would choose AlfaOBD over Tazer, because AlfaOBD is a far more power tool, and you have more control over what gets changed in the BCM. It’s also the closest thing you can get to a dealer level scan tool, and can connect to all modules.
For Canadian DRL trucks, if you want to just permanently disable DRLs, you would just set CBC Features DRL configuration to NO DRL. This will shut them off until you use AlfaOBD to change that setting again.
If you want to set them up like a US market Truck, you would set CBC Features DRL configuration to OPTIONAL, and set CustSetMenu 1 daytime running lights CSM Present to YES. This will put the setting in the radio to toggle them on/off whenever you want.

The accent lights can’t be toggled on/off via any type of setting equipped on the truck, but you can disable them with AlfaOBD by setting CBC Extern.Light Calib. Signature light present to NO.
If you want to configure the accent lights to be the DRLs (only come on in gear), and to be brighter than what they are from factory, make the following changes:
CBC Extern.Light Calib. Left Side (and right side) DRL Voltage Target- 7.4 (but can be raised)
The above settings will make the upper and lower LED accent strips the DRLs (no other lights on). They will only come on in gear, they will be brighter than they were as accent lighting, the accent strips will “drop out” on the side that the turn signal is being used on, and they can be toggled on/off in the radio settings.

Going to try this out. I have my DRL disabled in the radio to kill the low beams but if I could get this functionality that would be fantastic. Thanks for the write up I will report back and video if I am able.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Thanks for sharing! Can’t wait to try this tomorrow. Been looking for an easy way to kill the accent lights sometimes. Making them the dedicated DRL so they only come on it gear is perfect! Thanks again

Seanbeck1

Reaction score
I did this and it works great. Glad I did it.
How long did it take for the settings to take effect? I just did this and nothing yet. I’m aware you have to wait sometimes.
Also what voltage did you set for you accents lights?

Arth

Reaction score
So it might be because I have a 2021 but the settings did not work for me. Did confirm that the settings took and I did the right ones but no dice. I think I am the first who it hasn't worked for.

Seanbeck1

Reaction score
Not sure it worked for me either. I have no lights on at all when in ‘Drive’ and the soft key to turn DRL’s on/off in my screen menu hasn’t showed up yet.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did not work on mine either. I have the drl toggle on Uconnect, and but will not toggle my signature lights on or off

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@Seanbeck1 , @mike_ct , @Arth -
When you connect connect to your BCM, what MY and variant does it say it’s connected to? Also, can any of you guys make the DRL location work in any other spot than low beam?

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When you connect connect to your BCM, what MY and variant does it say it’s connected to? Also, can any of you guys make the DRL location work in any other spot than low beam?
19, and I chose the dt.var1 . Only light I was able to have an effect on was the factory led low beam. The signatures did turn off, but wouldn’t come on as a drl. I tried turn signals and they did toggle with the Uconnect checkbox. But no go on the signature light.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
19, and I chose the dt.var1 . Only light I was able to have an effect on was the factory led low beam. The signatures did turn off, but wouldn’t come on as a drl. I tried turn signals and they did toggle with the Uconnect checkbox. But no go on the signature light.
Gotcha. Even though you “choose” a certain bcm variant to connect to, AlfaOBD will auto connect to whatever BCM variant it detects, so I was more looking for what it actually says it ended up connecting as on the connect screen.

Seanbeck1

Reaction score
Okay so I made a slight change to the write up that Jimmy07 did. The soft key did show up in my screen menu however my accent lights completely disappeared.

I set the ‘signature lights’ to ‘on’. I also set my amber turn signals to be my DRL’s. I also have the option in my radio to turn them off if I want. Either way my signature lights are always on with no ugly low beams as DRL’s. I don’t seem to be able to increase the voltage for the signature lights. I don’t see an option for that.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Okay so I made a slight change to the write up that Jimmy07 did. The soft key did show up in my screen menu however my accent lights completely disappeared.

I set the ‘signature lights’ to ‘on’. I also set my amber turn signals to be my DRL’s. I also have the option in my radio to turn them off if I want. Either way my signature lights are always on with no ugly low beams as DRL’s. I don’t seem to be able to increase the voltage for the signature lights. I don’t see an option for that.
So, are your amber turn signal lights actually on as the DRLs now?

Arth

Reaction score
Mine corrects to 2021 MY variant. Also I can only make the low beams and turn signals work as DRL.

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
Yes along with the accent lights. I really like the look of the amber with the accent lights.
I can also turn off the amber DRL’s from my radio.
Can you post a pic of the ambers as your drls ?

Coltonweston

Reaction score
Yes, buy with confidence, excellent product and amazing customer support! They are available 7 days a week via text message for support calls! Best mod for a modern Ram, next to a throttle controller in my humble opinion!

What would you recommend for a throttle controller? Have heard good and bad things about pedal commander

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What would you recommend for a throttle controller? Have heard good and bad things about pedal commander

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've been extremely pleased with my JMS Pedalmax. I like the dial control as opposed to the preset buttons or up-down solutions of the other brands. I can speak to the quality of the Pedalmax only since I haven't tried the others.

But 5 stars for the Tazer and Pedalmax as far as I am concerned.

Users who are viewing this thread