5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5 Inch to 8.4 Inch Upgrade

Cristodakid

Reaction score
Good evening all,

First, thank you to everyone who contributed here.

I have been able to successfully upgrade my stock 5 inch radio & standard AC controls for the 8.4 without Nav (everything working) with the following parts:

8.4 screen no Nav: P68292209AF (VP2 8.4 DT SXM)
Center black Bezel with regular AC controls and knobs for 8.4 screen: 68340283AC
Center Main Console with AC vents: 5YU433XLAD

View attachment 59155 View attachment 59166 View attachment 59167 View attachment 59168 View attachment 59169 View attachment 59170 View attachment 59219

Cristodakid

Reaction score
Good evening all,

First, thank you to everyone who contributed here.

I have been able to successfully upgrade my stock 5 inch radio & standard AC controls for the 8.4 without Nav (everything working) with the following parts:

8.4 screen no Nav: P68292209AF (VP2 8.4 DT SXM)
Center black Bezel with regular AC controls and knobs for 8.4 screen: 68340283AC
Center Main Console with AC vents: 5YU433XLAD

View attachment 59155 View attachment 59166 View attachment 59167 View attachment 59168 View attachment 59169 View attachment 59170 View attachment 59219
So I’m trying to do the exact switch how you did by buying the individual parts. However I’m having a hard time finding them. Can you tell me which websites you ordered from please

Cristodakid

Reaction score
Just making sure I have all my part number together.
Radio is 68292209af
Instrument panel w vents is 5yu433xlaf
Radio bezel with single climate control and no other options is 68340283ac

the detail I need confirmed is that the radio bezel matches up to my pictured setup?
Hey bud any way you can tell me the websites you bought the parts from? I wanna order it online as well but seems like different websites have different numbers for the parts and I don’t wanna order the wrong thing

GerryM

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to this forum and I am a bit confused on the connections I need after reading this entire thread. I have a 2020 Ram 1500 Bighorn and want to upgrade from the 5” to 8.4. I found the LVDS cable jumper on infotainment but cannot find the Ram Wiring Harness for Display Screen that pigtails to the climate controls. I’m also not sure if I need to get the bypass and genie programmer. Lastly there are connections on the new one I’m not sure I need like cell 1, cell 2, and bt/wifi. I appreciate the help

Attachments

• 630280D5-659D-4C33-9C2D-67E8770658D3.png
    630280D5-659D-4C33-9C2D-67E8770658D3.png
    710.9 KB · Views: 45
  • C3DB5A7E-922C-482E-ABD7-E70ABEB5E7E3.jpeg
    C3DB5A7E-922C-482E-ABD7-E70ABEB5E7E3.jpeg
    113.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 2A063CEA-7210-4054-9291-232BCE46D037.jpeg
    2A063CEA-7210-4054-9291-232BCE46D037.jpeg
    93 KB · Views: 43
  • 99A5C0E3-5B6A-4704-B836-97595E1C9B8E.jpeg
    99A5C0E3-5B6A-4704-B836-97595E1C9B8E.jpeg
    147.7 KB · Views: 44

GerryM

Reaction score
Does anyone know the nuts and screws needed to secure the module for the 8.4, I just watched an infotainment video where it looks like they added some in since the truck didn’t come with any
Were u able to find an answer for this? Having same issue

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to this forum and I am a bit confused on the connections I need after reading this entire thread. I have a 2020 Ram 1500 Bighorn and want to upgrade from the 5” to 8.4. I found the LVDS cable jumper on infotainment but cannot find the Ram Wiring Harness for Display Screen that pigtails to the climate controls. I’m also not sure if I need to get the bypass and genie programmer. Lastly there are connections on the new one I’m not sure I need like cell 1, cell 2, and bt/wifi. I appreciate the help
Send me a PM and I can set you up with the custom splitter harness. Don’t buy a genie, it’s an overpriced one trick pony. Use AlfaOBD instead (or Jscan if you’re strictly iPhone) to set the DCSD and dual zone ATC settings. Then you’ll have a powerful scan tool for future use. You’ll need a bypass and Bluetooth OBD interface too. You’ll be fine with just using your existing antenna connectors.
The snap nuts are part number 06034833, and the screws are 06101946, but you can just use zip ties too.

Bigboss954

Reaction score
Send me a PM and I can set you up with the custom splitter harness. Don’t buy a genie, it’s an overpriced one trick pony. Use AlfaOBD instead (or Jscan if you’re strictly iPhone) to set the DCSD and dual zone ATC settings. Then you’ll have a powerful scan tool for future use. You’ll need a bypass and Bluetooth OBD interface too. You’ll be fine with just using your existing antenna connectors.
The snap nuts are part number 06034833, and the screws are 06101946, but you can just use zip ties too.
Thank you jimmy for the parts number. I realized that I didn’t need them after all. I don’t have the fancy 8.4 screen. I believe it’s the uam not the uav. Only issue I’m having which I believe will be fixed once I start driving again is I bought a C to K converter cable so I can keep my compass since I don’t care about having nav in the truck but all it says is acquiring signal.

murco

Reaction score
Hello, I have read this whole thread and I am still confused. I want to upgrade my
5" to the 8.4 screen. I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn New Body Style.
Is anyone able to tell what parts I need to upgrade? Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Laslim03

Reaction score
Hello I just went from a 5 inch to a 8.4 and got everything in and got the code from my dealer. After coming back out to my truck all I am getting is please start your vehicle. Has anyone seen this?

pparker74

Reaction score
Hello, I have read this whole thread and I am still confused. I want to upgrade my
5" to the 8.4 screen. I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn New Body Style.
Is anyone able to tell what parts I need to upgrade? Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

First you need the head unit, next you’ll need the 8.4 bezel, I got one from a dealer. You need HVAC control module, I sourced this from another dealer. You’ll also need a wiring harness, I don’t remember where I got it from, but all of this was plug and play. If you search the
forum you can probably find the place to buy the harness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waterboyx21

Reaction score
Hoping someone can help. I have a 2019 2500 that I changed the 5” to the 8.4” I lost the backup camera guideline function and steering wheel phone function. When selecting the guideline function it just unchecks itself. Has anyone run in to this or know how to fix this?

1herdbull

Reaction score
funny story.....well kind of. Just got off the phone with the dealer I bought my truck from and they absolutely will not/can not help me with getting parts. Says they won't order them for me. So much for customer service.

1herdbull

Reaction score
So is there anything I need to do before order this like updating VIN's on the radio or contact the dealer? Dealer code? Or do I just unplug the old 5" and plug in the new 8.4"? I do have SXM so If memory serves correct I have to contact them and update the radio VIN to transfer service. I'll also download/buy AlfaOBD when it the units gets here. Other things have gotten in the way so I've had to put this off until now.

1herdbull

Reaction score
Also everyone of these parts suppliers wants my VIN. I'm hesitant to supply them with my VIN but they will not accept returns without it, even if the package is totalled in shipping. Guess I don't want to unknowingly F myself with some of this.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Also everyone of these parts suppliers wants my VIN. I'm hesitant to supply them with my VIN but they will not accept returns without it, even if the package is totalled in shipping. Guess I don't want to unknowingly F myself with some of this.
Get them a VIN from a vehicle that has the radio that you need. Are you looking for 8.4 nav or non-nav?

And I think you need a harness from @Jimmy07 for this swap.
Also, If you'll get radio with Nav, you'll need LVDS cable as well.

Luniac21

Reaction score
I am needing this custom split harness

Luniac21

Reaction score
I am needing this custom split harness
Jimmy, thank you for sending the harness and the LVDS cable, alright so got a few questions for you, because I’m going from a 5” to a 8.4 inch w/NAV, got the bypass cable and the OBD connection, you probably get a lot of questions on how to do all this, if I wanted to go the Jscan route, there is no software for 2019 and up, if I wanted to go the Alfa obd route, what all do I need to get this unit to work? Also I only have a single control climate, the 8.4 comes from someone that had the bells and whistles on his truck such as heated steering wheel heated seats, I’m pretty sure he had dual zone, but anyways what all do I need to do? I know this is a loaded question, your professional advice would be appreciated

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Jimmy, thank you for sending the harness and the LVDS cable, alright so got a few questions for you, because I’m going from a 5” to a 8.4 inch w/NAV, got the bypass cable and the OBD connection, you probably get a lot of questions on how to do all this, if I wanted to go the Jscan route, there is no software for 2019 and up, if I wanted to go the Alfa obd route, what all do I need to get this unit to work? Also I only have a single control climate, the 8.4 comes from someone that had the bells and whistles on his truck such as heated steering wheel heated seats, I’m pretty sure he had dual zone, but anyways what all do I need to do? I know this is a loaded question, your professional advice would be appreciated
Jscan does work on the 2019+ Rams, but I believe in a recent update the setting for the display screen doesn’t work anymore. I suggest using AlfaOBD to enable the cabin Net DCSD Display screen module.
You can get the auto climate to work by swapping out your current sun sensor, and adding the cabin temp sensor and a custom harness.

Users who are viewing this thread