5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5 Inch to 8.4 Inch Upgrade

Big Dave

Reaction score
I was able to resolve the issue with USPS, got the package, apparently someone had the same number for their house but what I don’t get is how can they get confused with different street names? Anyways I tried to install the 8.4 with Navi and tried to use Alpha OBD and no luck, the screen didn’t even come on, but my fan stayed on every time I turned the ignition to on, I must be doing something wrong, help, lol
Did you figure out the issue with your HVAC fan? I installed a 8.6 that is loaded to replaced my 5" basic radio with manual HVAC system . Got the unit to fire up, installed the code, but the fan and all the HVAC is inop. Same problem you are having. Question is, do I need to install the HVAC module above the glove box on the side of the dash?

Randy Scott

Reaction score
So just wanted to give you guys the updated pictures after I received the new bezel today. Everything works perfectly. Next step I'm going to ask the dealership if they can load the app to control the heated steering wheel from the screen. Let me know what you guys think.

Randy Scott

Reaction score
So just wanted to give you guys the updated pictures after I received the new bezel today. Everything works perfectly. Next step I'm going to ask the dealership if they can load the app to control the heated steering wheel from the screen. Let me know what you guys think.
Where did you buy the upgraded screen? I am trying to do the same for mine and looking to find a place that won't break the bank

Luniac21

Reaction score
Did you figure out the issue with your HVAC fan? I installed a 8.6 that is loaded to replaced my 5" basic radio with manual HVAC system . Got the unit to fire up, installed the code, but the fan and all the HVAC is inop. Same problem you are having. Question is, do I need to install the HVAC module above the glove box on the side of the dash?
Yes, it was just a programming issue, Jimmy 07, pointed me in the right direction, I downloaded the Alfa obd app, I am able to use auto climate on a single zone

PHILLYK1

Reaction score
SO I know I'm late to the party on this discussion but I have tried registering on this site for quite some time and finally got my account confirmed!! I have read almost all 18 pages of this thread and I still have questions. I want to upgrade my 5" radio but don't really want to spend the $1,699 for the 8.4" from informant. I have the 5th gen bighorn with the single zone climate. What can I do for a radio upgrade without spending the 1700? I keep finding radios on ebay with dual zone but after a lot of research they are not plug and play ( I could be wrong). I had a audio place tell me I could this with a sony touch screen for around 750 but I'm iffy that its going to be that easy. I dont think they understood the difference between classic and DT body styles. I know this seems like a beating a dead horse seeing how old this thread is but any insight would be much appreciated

Attachments

• 20231230_162248.jpg
    20231230_162248.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 9

Luniac21

Reaction score
If you want to upgrade from a 5” to an 8.4” screen, there are a couple of things to consider, do you want nav? Or no nav. There is the uconnect 4 format, this is only for 19-21 models, it’s possible to upgrade to uconnect 5, but you will have to get all the parts for it, because a uconnect 4 screen will not work with a uconnect 5 radio module, but take it it one step at a time. I currently am running the 8.4” uconnect 4 system, I was very fortunate to find the whole setup with the bezel and the module. You should not have any issues finding a full setup. So your concerned about dual climate zone auto climate, I bought a setup with the dual zone hvac controls, I am running my setup with single zone auto climate, in order to get this to work I had to buy the auto climate harness and the sensors, you can get that on Infotainment. Com, if and when you do get this, programming is not that hard. I learned how to do everything from this forum. Also type in jimmy 07, he is very knowledgeable about the 5th gen Rams, if you need help with part#’s let me know

alienwrkshop51

Reaction score
Yes, you will need to use AlfaOBD to change Cabin Net: DCSD Display Screen Module to “Enabled”.
Heya Jimmy
I'm curious,

I've installed my new 8.4 in a 2019 Tradesman with manual climate controls and 7 speed fan. The unit I put in is a model ending in 4AC that has the ability for auto climate. I personally could care less about the autoclimate since there are manual controls. However, with the install the climate controls are stuck on high defrost. Does the setting above resolve that issue or do I have to install all of the wiring and sensors to support ATC in order for the manual controls to start working?

For what its worth, I sourced an entire bezel complete with the radio and HVAC control module.

Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/