5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4×4 Off-Road Package

rsonedecker

Reaction score
I didn’t catch that his build sheet called out Off Road Group. If so, that’s a miss on FCA’s part.
It's a little unclear what's going on with the OP on that thread mainly because he isn't being very super informative and not really answering all the questions, but based on the claim that he's verified with his dealership, has the "4x4 Off Road" stickers, verified with Ram Chat (he shared a screenshot), and also shows all the ORP goodies on his build sheet (sticker, protection, Extra HD shocks, etc), just apparently is missing the "Raised Ride Height" indicator on his build sheet (though I'm not too sure that's missing because it's usually listed toward the end, separate from all the ORP stuff, he simply said "I can't seem to find it").

However, that said, I did visit dealership yesterday with the good ole measuring stick, and every Non-ORP Laramie (3, one on the show room floor) was at 21.5" front / 23.5" back, hub-center to fender flare. And we're talking they were so close that I can honestly say they all were the same. For the non-ORP Big Horns, they were 22"/24". The Laramies will always measure shorter because the fender flare wraps around and into the fender and that lip you can tell is about 1/2". Unfortunately, there were no ORP trucks there.

And with that said, the OP on that thread, along with another poster, indicated their ORP Laramie measure was 22" (compared to 21.5") - and I wonder how much settling the suspension does after driven for a while. Anywho, it's an interesting thread.

Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
However, that said, I did visit dealership yesterday with the good ole measuring stick, and every Non-ORP Laramie (3, one on the show room floor) was at 21.5" front / 23.5" back, hub-center to fender flare. And we're talking they were so close that I can honestly say they all were the same. For the non-ORP Big Horns, they were 22"/24". The Laramies will always measure shorter because the fender flare wraps around and into the fender and that lip you can tell is about 1/2". Unfortunately, there were no ORP trucks there.
This made me curious to measure my own truck. Mine is a Longhorn with everything, including the ORG and 4-corner air. After sitting for a day in a cold garage (which could indicate suspension settling and/or low tire pressure), mine measures 23.25" front and 25" rear (hub to flare). FWIW, this is the equivalent of 23.75" / 25.5" on a Big Horn, based on the 0.5" flare delta you noted above.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This made me curious to measure my own truck. Mine is a Longhorn with everything, including the ORG and 4-corner air. After sitting for a day in a cold garage (which could indicate suspension settling and/or low tire pressure), mine measures 23.25" front and 25" rear (hub to flare). FWIW, this is the equivalent of 23.75" / 25.5" on a Big Horn, based on the 0.5" flare delta you noted above.

Assume that was with AS set to Normal?

rsonedecker

Reaction score
My feeling is that an air suspension truck is not going to be a fair comparison to a non-air because the air suspension is going to contribute to the truck's ability to maintain a specific height since it's adjustable (and constantly adjusting).

rsonedecker

Reaction score
Yeah that would be a total waste. I was under the impression it was the spring that did it in the front and back. If that's the case anyone with the offroad package has to wait for larger lifts, or stick with just a leveling kit.
From everything I’ve found out over the last couple days, I believe strongly that it is the springs, front and back, that do indeed create the lift, and am still anxious to hear if this thing with the mopar lift only netting 1” on an ORP is real life or just suspected, because I believe it’s just speculation and that it would cause 3” of lift.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From everything I’ve found out over the last couple days, I believe strongly that it is the springs, front and back, that do indeed create the lift, and am still anxious to hear if this thing with the mopar lift only netting 1” on an ORP is real life or just suspected, because I believe it’s just speculation and that it would cause 3” of lift.
I could have sworn there was a post a while back where somebody with the offroad package did the mopar lift and only netted an inch. I could be wrong. It has been a while and I've read and researched so much I dont remember where I read some of it.

NYRAM

Reaction score
Took these back in November when I order my truck. Here is two different big horns sitting next to each other one with orp and one without. My truck is at the dealer for some paint correction but I’ll measure it tomorrow when I pick it up.

Attachments

• 19F8575A-4819-403A-9A5F-D9173E8A35A6.jpeg
    19F8575A-4819-403A-9A5F-D9173E8A35A6.jpeg
    85.3 KB · Views: 351
  • D4964E32-2781-46B9-A0E9-3EBB1B8E767C.jpeg
    D4964E32-2781-46B9-A0E9-3EBB1B8E767C.jpeg
    88.5 KB · Views: 350

rsonedecker

Reaction score
I could have sworn there was a post a while back where somebody with the offroad package did the mopar lift and only netted an inch. I could be wrong. It has been a while and I've read and researched so much I dont remember where I read some of it.
I updated my original post here:
https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/4×4-off-road-package.949/page-4#post-95329

I believe this mopar kit confusion was actually caused by someone either doing the Mopar lift to a Rebel OR simply people reading that it wasn't compatible and assumed (though I did read someone say "It's been done"), and then people assuming the Rebel just has the ORP. The Rebel suspension and the ORP suspension are completely different, the bilsteins are different - the front bilstein could have a taller perch which is what causes the lift in the rebel. However, ORP is just tuned shocks and stiffer/longer springs (either a different spring rate and/or length) and the springs give the height increase. I can easily completely compress both the front and rear shocks of the ORP by hand, so there's no way they increase the height, and the front shock is EXACTLY the same dimensions in all ways (see post link above with pic). Even the Mopar site only says this: "Not compatible with Rebel trim levels or trucks equipped with air suspension (sales code SER)." Heck its possible that Mopar says the kit is not compatible because the bilstein may not have a removable spring perch (you have to remove the stock spring perch for use on the Fox shocks) and it may be as simple as that. We know why it's not compatible with the air suspension.

I am super confident that If you put the Mopar lift on an ORP, you'll net 3" front and rear.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I updated my original post here:
https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/4×4-off-road-package.949/page-4#post-95329

I believe this mopar kit confusion was actually caused by someone either doing the Mopar lift to a Rebel OR simply people reading that it wasn't compatible and assumed (though I did read someone say "It's been done"), and then people assuming the Rebel just has the ORP. The Rebel suspension and the ORP suspension are completely different, the bilsteins are different - the front bilstein could have a taller perch which is what causes the lift in the rebel. However, ORP is just tuned shocks and stiffer/longer springs (either a different spring rate and/or length) and the springs give the height increase. I can easily completely compress both the front and rear shocks of the ORP by hand, so there's no way they increase the height, and the front shock is EXACTLY the same dimensions in all ways (see post link above with pic). Even the Mopar site only says this: "Not compatible with Rebel trim levels or trucks equipped with air suspension (sales code SER)." Heck its possible that Mopar says the kit is not compatible because the bilstein may not have a removable spring perch (you have to remove the stock spring perch for use on the Fox shocks) and it may be as simple as that. We know why it's not compatible with the air suspension.

I am super confident that If you put the Mopar lift on an ORP, you'll net 3" front and rear.
Maybe it was a Rebel I was thinking of. I know their suspension is different. If that is the case then going the Mopar route would be the best way to lift or even level an offroad package truck by only doing the front. I know the rear would work on any trim regardless because it is just a spring spacer.

rsonedecker

Reaction score
Maybe it was a Rebel I was thinking of. I know their suspension is different. If that is the case then going the Mopar route would be the best way to lift or even level an offroad package truck by only doing the front. I know the rear would work on any trim regardless because it is just a spring spacer.
It's just expensive. :/

logomount

Reaction score
I've been trying to follow this thread and figure out what I need to do with my truck. I have a Longhorn with the ORP and ordered the Rough Country 2'' level not knowing that it wouldn't fit the ORP. The only reason I want to level is to put bigger tires (34" likely 285/65R20) on my truck. I'm guessing the Rough Country kit is off the table and I'll either have to sell it or eat that $50. What are my options if I want to add bigger tires and achieve that leveled look? Will throwing those tires on with the factory rims work with the ORP or do I need a level?

Truckin

Reaction score
I've been trying to follow this thread and figure out what I need to do with my truck. I have a Longhorn with the ORP and ordered the Rough Country 2'' level not knowing that it wouldn't fit the ORP. The only reason I want to level is to put bigger tires (34" likely 285/65R20) on my truck. I'm guessing the Rough Country kit is off the table and I'll either have to sell it or eat that $50. What are my options if I want to add bigger tires and achieve that leveled look? Will throwing those tires on with the factory rims work with the ORP or do I need a level?
I first tried mounting 285/65R20 BFG KO2's for fitment on my Longhorn with stock rims and ORP (no air suspension) and they did slightly rub at full lock and this was without any suspension flex...What I wound up installing were BFG KO2's in 275/65R20-these are 34" tall (about 1/2" shorter than 285/65's and a little more than 1/2" narrower) and do not rub at all. I plan to wait till Bilstein has their 5100 adjustable height shocks available and then might install those at the 1.4" increased ride height setting. I do like the 275/65's but wish they were just a bit wider...Hope this helps!

logomount

Reaction score
I first tried mounting 285/65R20 BFG KO2's for fitment on my Longhorn with stock rims and ORP (no air suspension) and they did slightly rub at full lock and this was without any suspension flex...What I wound up installing were BFG KO2's in 275/65R20-these are 34" tall (about 1/2" shorter than 285/65's and a little more than 1/2" narrower) and do not rub at all. I plan to wait till Bilstein has their 5100 adjustable height shocks available and then might install those at the 1.4" increased ride height setting. I do like the 275/65's but wish they were just a bit wider...Hope this helps!

Thanks for this info. I’m wanting to run Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I was down to the 285/65 or 275/65. I’m guessing you didn’t do any sort of level? I’d be willing to sacrifice a little rubbing until the Bilsteins come out and then maybe adding those with the ORP and 285s I won’t have any rubbing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Truckin

Reaction score
Thanks for this info. I’m wanting to run Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I was down to the 285/65 or 275/65. I’m guessing you didn’t do any sort of level? I’d be willing to sacrifice a little rubbing until the Bilsteins come out and then maybe adding those with the ORP and 285s I won’t have any rubbing...

[/QUOTE
Totally stock ORP suspension. If you want to see how they look, I just posted pictures to 'No Discussions, just Pictures' thread.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can do a top hat style spacer and it will be fine. No larger than 2-2.5", just make sure you replace the upper control arms as well.

logomount

Reaction score
You can do a top hat style spacer and it will be fine. No larger than 2-2.5", just make sure you replace the upper control arms as well.

So the rough country won’t work? Or do I need go purchase UCAs as well? If the RC level won’t work which one will?

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So the rough country won’t work? Or do I need go purchase UCAs as well? If the RC level won’t work which one will?

You could use it but it will make the ride alot stiffer just because it is a preload spacer. I would still replace the UCAs. If you go with a top hat, the Daystar would be best as it doesn't rotate the strut assembly.

skol

Reaction score
This does not apply to the Rebel. The Rebel has different part numbers, and potentially a different setup up front. The Rebel does not have the "ORP", it has it's own setup.

Here's an addendum with part numbers that I have gathered up. I have confirmed that the ORP rear shock is 1" taller/longer than normal, the rear ORP spring is taller/longer, and the ORP front shocks are the same exact size as normal. What I haven't verified (but highly suspect) is that the ORP front springs are also taller/longer because they are different part numbers like all the others, though they could potentially have different spring rates which would also create lift. I'm know the springs do the lift both front and back, and the shocks support the lift by having appropriate centering for proper travel and response (and that's it). Both front and rear are easily compressed by body weight so I know the shocks don't have enough ability on their own to produce any lift, and I have confirmed that the front shocks are the same height. I already have the ORP shocks and struts and rear springs in my garage, just waiting on my ORP front springs to ship to me.

Summary Findings:
The front are shocks, not struts (though I catch myself calling them struts at times) - they are just coil-over shocks.
The front ORP shocks are the same dimensions as the non-ORP in all ways. They do not contribute to the 1" lift.
The front springs cause the 1" lift.
The rear ORP shocks are ~1" longer than the non-ORP.
The rear ORP shocks do not contribute to the lift.
The rear ORP springs are about ~1.25" taller than the non-ORP.
The rear springs cause the 1" lift.

These are the numbers I have gathered (use at your own risk! Recommend you still use your VIN at your local dealership to at least validate):

Off Road Package (4x4, 5.7L, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, non-air suspension):
Front Spring - 68320249AB
Front Shock/Strut - 68277314AC (This part number is on the strut from the factory but not in any system, retail crossover looks to be 68404037AD)
Rear Spring - 68262684AB (or 68262686AB)
(I cannot figure out why there are two part numbers that people have used - up to this point I have only been able to verify 68262684AB for myself, though another member used 68262686AB sucessfully)
Rear Shock - 68262592AC

Non-ORP "regular" (4x4, 5.7L, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, non-air suspension):
Front Spring - 68320236AB
Front Shock/strut - 68277312AC (This part number is on the strut from the factory but not in any system, retail crossover looks to be 68404036AD)
Rear Spring - 68262675AB
Rear Shock - 68262590AC

Will continue my research.

ORP (green) and non-ORP (red) front shocks - same body length, same perch location, same overall length. Both easily compressed with body-weight.
View attachment 15973

Thanks for the info. I am trying to get an additional 1” of height on the front end. I have a Laramie 4x4 Non-ORP. Just put on the 2” Mopar Lift. Would changing out the original springs for the 68320249AB give me the additional 1”?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/