5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4×4 Off-Road Package

Yogi217

Reaction score
This does not apply to the Rebel. The Rebel has different part numbers, and potentially a different setup up front. The Rebel does not have the "ORP", it has it's own setup.

Here's an addendum with part numbers that I have gathered up. I have confirmed that the ORP rear shock is 1" taller/longer than normal, the rear ORP spring is taller/longer, and the ORP front shocks are the same exact size as normal. What I haven't verified (but highly suspect) is that the ORP front springs are also taller/longer because they are different part numbers like all the others, though they could potentially have different spring rates which would also create lift. I'm know the springs do the lift both front and back, and the shocks support the lift by having appropriate centering for proper travel and response (and that's it). Both front and rear are easily compressed by body weight so I know the shocks don't have enough ability on their own to produce any lift, and I have confirmed that the front shocks are the same height. I already have the ORP shocks and struts and rear springs in my garage, just waiting on my ORP front springs to ship to me.

Summary Findings:
The front are shocks, not struts (though I catch myself calling them struts at times) - they are just coil-over shocks.
The front ORP shocks are the same dimensions as the non-ORP in all ways. They do not contribute to the 1" lift.
The front springs cause the 1" lift.
The rear ORP shocks are ~1" longer than the non-ORP.
The rear ORP shocks do not contribute to the lift.
The rear ORP springs are about ~1.25" taller than the non-ORP.
The rear springs cause the 1" lift.

These are the numbers I have gathered (use at your own risk! Recommend you still use your VIN at your local dealership to at least validate):

Off Road Package (4x4, 5.7L, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, non-air suspension):
Front Spring - 68320249AB
Front Shock/Strut - 68277314AC (This part number is on the strut from the factory but not in any system, retail crossover looks to be 68404037AD)
Rear Spring - 68262684AB (or 68262686AB)
(I cannot figure out why there are two part numbers that people have used - up to this point I have only been able to verify 68262684AB for myself, though another member used 68262686AB sucessfully)
Rear Shock - 68262592AC

Non-ORP "regular" (4x4, 5.7L, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, non-air suspension):
Front Spring - 68320236AB
Front Shock/strut - 68277312AC (This part number is on the strut from the factory but not in any system, retail crossover looks to be 68404036AD)
Rear Spring - 68262675AB
Rear Shock - 68262590AC

Will continue my research.

ORP (green) and non-ORP (red) front shocks - same body length, same perch location, same overall length. Both easily compressed with body-weight.
View attachment 15973
@rsonedecker, did you install the front and rear springs and shocks? I am only looking for about 1" of lift and was considering this route.

BJG

Reaction score
Boy this is confusing. I have a non Off Road Package Big Horn and am planning to do the Mopar 2" kit.

I've found at least one owner who also added off road springs and his truck is taller.

Does anyone know if there are front and rear springs or is it just one or the other? Looking for part numbers to go along with the Mopar lift kit.

Thank You to anyone that can further clarify...

shlebz

Reaction score
Boy this is confusing. I have a non Off Road Package Big Horn and am planning to do the Mopar 2" kit.

I've found at least one owner who also added off road springs and his truck is taller.

Does anyone know if there are front and rear springs or is it just one or the other? Looking for part numbers to go along with the Mopar lift kit.

Thank You to anyone that can further clarify...
There is front and rear! These are the ones I ordered. Going to install on Thursday!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200802-053335_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200802-053335_Chrome.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 165

Yogi217

Reaction score
There is front and rear! These are the ones I ordered. Going to install on Thursday!
Please let us know how it goes. Considering doing the same!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

TJ1789

Reaction score
I have an ORP with 1.5” rake. Plan is to get the 5100’s and put it on setting 3 or 4. From what I understand 4 would be level. Simple math tells me, I’m starting out with +1 inch due to the ORP and I go up 1-1.5 inches that would be a total of 2-2.5” on the UCA’s. Are new UCA’s recommended and is there a company that sells a 2 inch UCA? Ready lift sells a leveling kit package with the UCA’s included but I don’t see them selling it individually.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have an ORP with 1.5” rake. Plan is to get the 5100’s and put it on setting 3 or 4. From what I understand 4 would be level. Simple math tells me, I’m starting out with +1 inch due to the ORP and I go up 1-1.5 inches that would be a total of 2-2.5” on the UCA’s. Are new UCA’s recommended and is there a company that sells a 2 inch UCA? Ready lift sells a leveling kit package with the UCA’s included but I don’t see them selling it individually.
It's personal preference. I installed the Readylift leveling kit with UCAs. My logic was that Mopar provides new control arms with their 2" lift kit so it was a good idea to go ahead and spend the money on them when I leveled it. Many people haven't replaced their control arms and have yet to have issue. 4th gen trucks had notoriously bad control arms and people had issues with them routinely. I did it for peace of mind. They sell the UCAs seperately but do not market them as fitting the 5th gens. Many users here have used these UCAs from the 4th gens and have verified they do fit. Very little changed for the suspension between 4th and 5th gens.

If you would rather have UCAs marketed as 5th gen, Rough Country has theirs available from their website and everybody seems to be happy with them.

TJ1789

Reaction score
It's personal preference. I installed the Readylift leveling kit with UCAs. My logic was that Mopar provides new control arms with their 2" lift kit so it was a good idea to go ahead and spend the money on them when I leveled it. Many people haven't replaced their control arms and have yet to have issue. 4th gen trucks had notoriously bad control arms and people had issues with them routinely. I did it for peace of mind. They sell the UCAs seperately but do not market them as fitting the 5th gens. Many users here have used these UCAs from the 4th gens and have verified they do fit. Very little changed for the suspension between 4th and 5th gens.

If you would rather have UCAs marketed as 5th gen, Rough Country has theirs available from their website and everybody seems to be happy with them.

Thanks for the quick response. Since it’s a new truck I would feel better spending the money and getting the UCA’s w the level.

ArtieD

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response. Since it’s a new truck I would feel better spending the money and getting the UCA’s w the level.
I think its the opposite since its new ,the ball joint will wear at the new angle with no problems Say trucks less than 1500 mi with stock UCA would fare Good , As to a stock ball joint already broken in with many miles than change the angle thats when problems happen u would than change the UCA and ball joint , This is at the 2" or less lift in front, I just leveled and was told I would not have to change them only had 500 mi on the truck ,
The shop I used said if I had 5000 mi on it he would not do it without changing the Upper Control arms because I would be back with problems

Mdinana

Reaction score
This is probably a dumb question, but installing the lift does NOT impact the weight/ tow ratings, correct?

I've got a '19 Big Horn.

merdon1332000

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the
Front Spring - 68320249AB (now discontinued)
are now 68320249AC

shlebz

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the
Front Spring - 68320249AB (now discontinued)
are now 68320249AC
Those are the ones I put on my truck and they were longer than stock

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Ciobanu

Reaction score
Can someone tell me if there is a difference in the front strut/shocks from a 4x2 & 4x4? I am looking to buy 4x4 front shocks to put on a 4x2. The truck is a 2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn Lone Star.

Talon4U2NV

Reaction score
For what it is worth, in my findings it looks like the rear springs: 68262684AB may be on the ram box equiped trucks; and 68262686B on non ram box trucks... I have only found two Laramie vins with ORP packages with same options minus the ram boxes... but i'm not certain.. I may do the 68262684AB on my truck for towing/hauling with a 2" level and then do bags as well

Users who are viewing this thread