5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.21 vs 3.92: The Last Word

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My 2013 Mazda shows my rolling average fuel economy but it also shows a rolling average MPH, which is kind of handy for seeing if I'm trending towards more city driving versus highway. When I first got the car we took it on longer trips and I think my average speed was about 35mph. Now its like 31-32mph on average and my mileage is down a little bit. Would be a handy feature to have on the truck and pretty simple to add to the system.
All of my Silverado’s had this. I do a lot of freeway driving so my average speed for all driving was always right around 52 mph over many years and multiple trucks. Didn’t change more than 1-2 mph. Most of my driving is at 80-82 mph.

That’s the only reason I went with 3.21’s.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Everybody takes this so personal.

My ecodiesel has 3.92s and gets 28+ MPG easily on the highway. I generally drive around 70mph, not much faster. If I lived in the USA where speed limits are 75+ (it's 62mph or 100kmh) in most of Ontario Canada, I'd probably get the 3.21.

Ideally the old 3.55 rear end would probably be ideal.

I do tow and I like the 3.92 combined with the ecodiesels torque. It gets heavy loads moving with very little effort.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

3.55 might be a good compromise for a Hemi. But, the ED has so much low end torque, I really can't see it needing anything shorter than the 3.21. The ED has WAY more than enough grunt from a stop to get anything it's even close to rated to tow moving.

But, if you're going to drive one of those weak-*** Hemis, then I guess you might need a 3.92 to get a really heavy trailer moving reliably.

• Haha
Reactions: c3k

Dewey

Reaction score
Seems like everybody forgot about the good ole’ days of big lifts, big tires and anemic barely 200 hp motors driving mega highway gears. Everybody thought they had real trucks back then too.😆

Any motor pushing 400 hp these days will do just fine with either gear.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Everybody wants to talk about towing and that means torque, not power. I bet even those old 200 HP motors had more torque than a 5.7 Hemi.

Regardless, if you only have barely over 400 ft-lbs, I can see why you would feel a need for 3.92 gears.

Get an EcoDiesel with a GDE tune and you will have more power and more torque than the legendary Ford 7.3L PowerStroke. And you will be just fine with a 3.21 pulling half-ton truck loads.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
giphy.gif

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Everybody wants to talk about towing and that means torque, not power. I bet even those old 200 HP motors had more torque than a 5.7 Hemi.

Regardless, if you only have barely over 400 ft-lbs, I can see why you would feel a need for 3.92 gears.

Get an EcoDiesel with a GDE tune and you will have more power and more torque than the legendary Ford 7.3L PowerStroke. And you will be just fine with a 3.21 pulling half-ton truck loads.
Nope.

Used 1990 Dodge RAM 150 LE Extended Cab Specs & Features​

More about the 1990 RAM 150
Buy In-StoreBuy Online
Buy In-StoreBuy Online
Overview
OverviewMost Popular
LE 2dr Extended Cab SB
5.2L 8cyl naturally aspired 4M
Buy In-StoreBuy Online
Engine TypeGas
Transmission4-speed manual
Drive TypeRear wheel drive
CylindersV8
Fuel & MPG
Fuel & MPG
Fuel typeRegular unleaded
EPA city/highway MPG12/17 MPG
EPA combined MPG14 MPG
Range in miles (city/hwy)360.0/510.0 mi.
Fuel tank capacity30.0 gal.
Engine
Engine
Base engine size5.2 L
CylindersV8
Base engine typeGas
Horsepower170 hp @ 4,000 rpm
Torque260 lb-ft @ 2,500 rpm
Towing & Hauling
Towing & Hauling
Max Towing Capacity4,500 lbs.
Max Payload Capacity1,880.0 lbs.
Drivetrain
Drivetrain
Drive typeRear wheel drive

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nope.

Used 1990 Dodge RAM 150 LE Extended Cab Specs & Features​

Buy In-StoreBuy Online
Buy In-StoreBuy Online
Overview
OverviewMost Popular
LE 2dr Extended Cab SB
5.2L 8cyl naturally aspired 4M
Buy In-StoreBuy Online
Engine TypeGas
Drive TypeRear wheel drive
CylindersV8
Fuel & MPG
Fuel & MPG
Fuel typeRegular unleaded
EPA city/highway MPG12/17 MPG
EPA combined MPG14 MPG
Range in miles (city/hwy)360.0/510.0 mi.
Fuel tank capacity30.0 gal.
Engine
Engine
Base engine size5.2 L
CylindersV8
Base engine typeGas
Horsepower170 hp @ 4,000 rpm
Torque260 lb-ft @ 2,500 rpm
Towing & Hauling
Towing & Hauling
Max Towing Capacity4,500 lbs.
Max Payload Capacity1,880.0 lbs.
Drivetrain
Drivetrain
Drive typeRear wheel drive

I mistakenly assumed we were talking about old diesels. Definitely my bad. I knew the old gas motors did not have as much torque as a current Hemi.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I mistakenly assumed we were talking about old diesels. Definitely my bad. I knew the old gas motors did not have as much torque as a current Hemi.

This is the post that I thought you were referencing.
Seems like everybody forgot about the good ole’ days of big lifts, big tires and anemic barely 200 hp motors driving mega highway gears. Everybody thought they had real trucks back then too.😆

Any motor pushing 400 hp these days will do just fine with either gear.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is the post that I thought you were referencing.

I was. "Everybody thought they had real trucks" (and my earlier reference to the 7.3 PowerStroke) just had me thinking that that post was talking about diesels (which were notoriously weak on power - from the factory). Like I said, totally my bad.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I test drove one of the very last F250s with a 7.3 Powerstroke, back in 2003. I remember that they were really touting that it had (IIRC) 250 HP and 525 ft-lbs of torque.

The current ED has more HP (260) and somewhat close amount of torque (480). With an EPA-compliant tune from GDE, the ED will have 305 HP and 565 ft-lbs. More power and more torque than a 7.3 PowerStroke. Pretty impressive, to me. I think that is about the same or slightly more than the Ford 6.0 PowerStroke that replaced the 7.3. I had 3 of those over the years and they really kinda sucked. I think the stock ED is a LOT nicer to drive.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does he call them airplane gears because of how slow jet engines spool up?

I'm really not sure. First time I heard him use that term was when I bought a '93 Z28 back in my college days and we found out it had something like a 2.73 axle ratio. It was unbelievable that they would put that axle ratio behind a 4 speed in a performance car.

Dewey

Reaction score
I'm really not sure. First time I heard him use that term was when I bought a '93 Z28 back in my college days and we found out it had something like a 2.73 axle ratio. It was unbelievable that they would put that axle ratio behind a 4 speed in a performance car.
I had a Cutlass in the late 70’s that had a 2.29 axle ratio. That’s crazy but fitting for the 70’s. Dropped a big block in and snapped the axles and blew the gears up within days. Good times.😆

Dewey

Reaction score
What do you have to turn off? On my Tundra, I had to press and hold the nanny button for 5 seconds, but it was just a single tire fire. :LOL:
Just turn off traction control and let her eat. That asphalt is pretty slick. Probably coulda went for another 50 yards if I had 3.92’s😆

Users who are viewing this thread