5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.21 vs 3.92: The Last Word

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
FWIW, I'm still waiting for all that disappointment. I moved some of my crap from home to work. IMO, it was smoother and more drama-free than when I pulled a similar load behind a Classic 3.92 Hemi (about a year ago):

xi4a56x.jpg

Z8QrZCU.jpg

I even managed about 20mpg on a short freeway run. This is when I was exiting:
ynmob5A.jpg

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
"A newer truck with more tech and comfort features felt better than an older truck."

Lol.

You just have to laugh at someone coming from a Frontier talking about not missing the better gears.

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
"A newer truck with more tech and comfort features felt better than an older truck."

Lol.

You just have to laugh at someone coming from a Frontier talking about not missing the better gears.
The newer body style probably helps a lot, but I was straight up disappointed with the '20 Classic Hemi. I've towed a LOT with the Frontier. What disappointed me the most about the 4th gen is that it really didn't feel that much better than the Frontier, not to the degree that I was expecting.

The DT is a great truck, in itself, but the EcoDiesel is the cherry on top. I honestly wouldn't think I had anything on the back bumper if I didn't hook it up, myself.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
FWIW, I'm still waiting for all that disappointment. I moved some of my crap from home to work. IMO, it was smoother and more drama-free than when I pulled a similar load behind a Classic 3.92 Hemi (about a year ago):

xi4a56x.jpg

Z8QrZCU.jpg

ynmob5A.jpg
Tastes great, less filling. (y)

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score

xi4a56x.jpg

Z8QrZCU.jpg

ynmob5A.jpg
Congrats on the truck, btw. 🍻

I know we all like to give each other hell for the little differences between our trucks, but always exciting to get a new vehicle that you ordered exactly the way you wanted it.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks. So far it's living up to the hype. It does its job without any fuss.
I’m concerned a little about the longevity of the engine and emissions equipment due to the EGR system (and who makes the engine), but I’m not sure if any of my concerns are warranted since a majority of dpf diesels seem to have emissions equipment longevity issues.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm telling ya guys, the 3.21 Diesel is able to haul just fine. I'm just glad I didn't get the Sunroof and MFT, I wouldn't want to go over my payload.

ywYNNYR.jpg
Glad you made it with that heavy load in the bed- it must’ve been dicey on hills.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
These threads always go sideways. LOL.

On a serious note, I've driven both quite a bit. And I've got a buddy who leases a new Ram every couple of years and he's had both also. And I think we both agree that 3.21s feel very very different. Just got my new truck a few weeks ago with the 3.21s. Moderate acceleration feels like you could pitch a tent and roast some hotdogs. I've seen all the charts with gears matched to ratios and RPMs and all that. But at the end of the day the 3.21s just feel anemic and I haven't even hooked on the enclosed trailer yet. I also find it hard to believe that there's a 2 MPG loss on these trucks with the 3.92. My new 3.21 truck is only averaging 16 MPG. It won't even do window sticker. Sometimes I wonder if the 3.92s wouldn't actually be better around town because the gearing advantage means the accel pedal doesn't get used as hard. Hmm...

Oh well, I'm going to enjoy the truck anyway! But it'll be the last set of 3.21 "airplane gears" as my Dad calls them in my driveway.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
These threads always go sideways. LOL.

On a serious note, I've driven both quite a bit. And I've got a buddy who leases a new Ram every couple of years and he's had both also. And I think we both agree that 3.21s feel very very different. Just got my new truck a few weeks ago with the 3.21s. Moderate acceleration feels like you could pitch a tent and roast some hotdogs. I've seen all the charts with gears matched to ratios and RPMs and all that. But at the end of the day the 3.21s just feel anemic and I haven't even hooked on the enclosed trailer yet. I also find it hard to believe that there's a 2 MPG loss on these trucks with the 3.92. My new 3.21 truck is only averaging 16 MPG. It won't even do window sticker. Sometimes I wonder if the 3.92s wouldn't actually be better around town because the gearing advantage means the accel pedal doesn't get used as hard. Hmm...

Oh well, I'm going to enjoy the truck anyway! But it'll be the last set of 3.21 "airplane gears" as my Dad calls them in my driveway.

I had a 4th Gen wit 3.92 and my brother had a 4th Gen with 3.21. Driving them back to back, neither of us could tell a difference. With no load, even the 3.21 has enough power to spin the tires from a dead start, so it's traction that is limiting acceleration off the line, not gearing.

Then I had a '19 Hemi with eTorque. Over 72K miles, I averaged 14.1 MPG. That is all completely hand calculated. If your dash computer is saying 16, it is probably lying. My dash ALWAYS read high.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sometimes I wonder if the 3.92s wouldn't actually be better around town
They are. But, fuel economy savings between either are negligible.

There's really no good reason to order a truck with 3.21s.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They are. But, fuel economy savings between either are negligible.

There's really no good reason to order a truck with 3.21s.

Oh, crap! I guess I should return mine?

Of course, even though it'll take me longer to drive it back to the dealership (red-light racing with other drivers), at least I'll feel better leaving it there with more fuel in the tank.

;)

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a 4th Gen wit 3.92 and my brother had a 4th Gen with 3.21. Driving them back to back, neither of us could tell a difference. With no load, even the 3.21 has enough power to spin the tires from a dead start, so it's traction that is limiting acceleration off the line, not gearing.

Then I had a '19 Hemi with eTorque. Over 72K miles, I averaged 14.1 MPG. That is all completely hand calculated. If your dash computer is saying 16, it is probably lying. My dash ALWAYS read high.

Yep my dash is reading 17.5 right now. So realistically 16 to 16.5. My '20 was always reading high also. I wish these trucks had a diagnostic menu accessible on the dash where the MPG display could be calibrated like on the Ford trucks.

Users who are viewing this thread