5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.21 vs 3.92: The Last Word

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You were in 2WD and no axle lock?
Also I am assuming you have the rear locker, not limited slip ?
2WD, no TC and never hit the button on the dash for axle lock. All my other trucks were anti-spin differential. I assumed this one would be open unless axle lock was activated. I was surprised both wheels spun evenly.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Just turn off traction control and let her eat. That asphalt is pretty slick. Probably coulda went for another 50 yards if I had 3.92’s😆

I figured you poured a few gallons of water under the tires, then took the pic after it dried up. 🤣

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2WD, no TC and never hit the button on the dash for axle lock. All my other trucks were locking rear end. I assumed this one would be open unless axle lock was activated. I was surprised both wheels spun evenly.
Now I am confused.
Im going to have to do some digging. I have assumed and read other people say that the diff is open unless locked, not act as a limited slip when unlocked, or when traction control is turned off this locks the rear axle ( maybe it does ).
Anybody know what is going on?

Dewey

Reaction score
Now I am confused.
Im going to have to do some digging. I have assumed and read other people say that the diff is open unless locked, not act as a limited slip when unlocked, or when traction control is turned off this locks the rear axle ( maybe it does ).
Anybody know what is going on?
I’m confused as well. I was told I would have a one legger unless the axle lock was on.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Some folks with open diffs and BLD hve done burn outs as well. TC does not effect differential function either. LSD are automatic locking with clutches. A diff locker must be engaged by a button.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did a little digging on the Brake Locking Differential on these Rams and that explains it.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m confused as well. I was told I would have a one legger unless the axle lock was on.
With 1 push on the ESC toggle, you were in “Partial Off” mode, that allows for more wheel spin, and let’s BLD work better for off road or burnouts. If you hold the toggle for 5 seconds or more, it turns the ESC and TC off completely, BLD will work, limited slip diff or locker will work also.
Owners manual talks briefly about the ESC modes. The brake locking differential is explained in the Jeep article.

Last edited:

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I think holding the TC button does something too. I can't remember though.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think holding the TC button does something too. I can't remember though.
You are correct, hitting ESC button once - partial off: Traction control (BLD) works. Hit again -turns ESC back ON. Hold for 5 seconds or more -ESC and TC off.

In 4WD Low the ESC and TC automatically turns off.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
You are correct, hitting ESC button once - partial off: Traction control (BLD) works. Hit again -turns ESC back ON. Hold for 5 seconds or more -ESC and TC off.

Gotcha. So In 2wd hold the button for 5 seconds?

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score

^^^
Bolded part: where did you find out that's how it works?
(Also, your post preceding mine, you state that in 4WD High that ESC is partial off (ESC is off but BLD is on). Again, where did you find this information?

Thanks!

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^
(Also, your post preceding mine, you state that in 4WD High that ESC is partial off (ESC is off but BLD is on). Again, where did you find this information?

Thanks!
IF I said “in 4WD High that ESC is partial off”, I didn’t mean that. The ESC in 4WD High needs to be turned to partial off mode with 1 push of ESC toggle.

As far as the 4WD Low the ESC and Traction Control is automatically turned off:
Well, good question. I looked back thru our owners manual on ESC, TC, 4WD and could not find it,
but I saw it somewhere, maybe on my extensive on line searches. I will try to find it for you.

The owners manual is terrible when it talks about the different modes of the ESC, TC, BLD, and 4WD and how they are affected in different modes. In fact, in some places the BLD is expanded to Brake Locking Differential, other place Brake Limited Differential. Also does not clearly state that our trucks even have these differentials front and back like the jeeps.

A lot of people with these trucks get off road in nasty situations like myself. I have been stuck, mainly due to me being somewhere way back on the farm and a sudden shower comes, and I cant get up the hill on a now muddy road or even grass on steep hill. This is what has motivated me in my information search, and giving the info I am finding.

Still looking, will let you know.

Reactions: c3k

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Turning ESC OFF:
stopped, engine running, push and hold ESC button for at least 5 seconds till get “ESC OFF” message on instr. cluster.

Just a side note, I don’t know a good reason to go ESC Full Off in 4WD High. Seems to me when off road in mud, snow, ice, inclines, in (4WD High, rear axle locked with locker, and ESC Partial Off) this is preferred because get the Brake Lock Differential working on front axle. In other words, both rear wheels turning and fronts alternating turning according to slip. Also, in partial off mode, the engine power reduction is turned off - but wheel braking still enabled to help find traction on fronts.
Good point. I’m 4low it would make sense for BLD to remain on without TC/ESC. That was you won’t one wheel peel when trying to get out of a sticky situation. This would really help those with open diff like me.

Some folks on the Jeep forum say BLD is always on, no matter the 4wd TSC, or ESC status.

Last edited:

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^

Thanks!
A reference that I think applies to our trucks. Have seen some videos with jeeps also.

Attachments

• A56E1793-B719-43E9-970A-7B241789B9CB.jpeg
    A56E1793-B719-43E9-970A-7B241789B9CB.jpeg
    114.7 KB · Views: 25
Reactions: c3k

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score

The owners manual is terrible when it talks about the different modes of the ESC, TC, BLD, and 4WD and how they are affected in different modes. In fact, in some places the BLD is expanded to Brake Locking Differential, other place Brake Limited Differential. Also does not clearly state that our trucks even have these differentials front and back like the jeeps.
^^^
I could not agree more!

Thanks.

Edited to add:

And, thanks for finding that citation. (I replied before I saw your second post.)

That excerpt says 4WD Low shuts off the Electronic Stability Control (differential braking to prevent yaw). I'm still curious about BLD... I -think- Braking Limited Differential is functional in all regimes. It would make sense in low traction situations.

But, that all goes back to your previous statement about how terrible the manual is in explaining these different modes and how they interact and/or get activated or shutdown. Grrr.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^
I could not agree more!

Thanks.

Edited to add:

And, thanks for finding that citation. (I replied before I saw your second post.)

That excerpt says 4WD Low shuts off the Electronic Stability Control (differential braking to prevent yaw). I'm still curious about BLD... I -think- Braking Limited Differential is functional in all regimes. It would make sense in low traction situations.

But, that all goes back to your previous statement about how terrible the manual is in explaining these different modes and how they interact and/or get activated or shutdown. Grrr.
Ok,
I had to delete a few of my earlier posts because I think they were wrong.
Rereading the Jeep article and trying different stuff in my truck, I think I have sorted this out:

- TC and BLD are NOT the same thing.
- ESC on: Fights skidding and wheel spin with engine power reduction and wheel braking.
Obviously NOT good for off road ( use Partial Off or Full off on ESC ).
- ESC Partial Off: Engine power reduction disabled, Traction Control disabled, BLD works.
- ESC Full Off: Engine power reduction disabled, Traction Control disabled, AEB (Automatic Emergency Braking) disabled, ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control) disabled, BLD works.

- 4WD LOW: “Granny 4WD“ -Slow gearing, ESC toggle is disabled, goes directly to ESC full off, Lock rear diff if have it, Limited Slip rear diff always works, BLD works on front axle.

-4WD HIGH: Use ESC toggle to go to Partial Off or Full Off, Lock rear diff, Limited Slip will work, BLD works on front axle.

- 2WD: Can use ESC toggle to go Partial Off. Full off disabled (toggle will not let you).
With dual rear burnouts on trucks in 2WD with open diff and ESC in Partial Off is pretty impressive on how BLD kinda works like limited slip diff.

Last edited:

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Well, I pulled off of a one lane road to let a car pass and buried the right side in the mud. Left side was not as deep, but I was stuck. Put it in 4 low and she walked right out. I guess BLD works pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread