5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Toyota Tundra

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
These guys can be a bit silly sometimes, and are not always the best "experts", but they do get their hands on a lot of stuff early.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Looks good in the video

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
Toyota dropped the ball with the new coil suspension. Rear GAWR is only 3,670 lbs?! Why so weak?

View attachment 107088
It really depends on which trim level that sticker applies to. The TRD Pro will have softer springs an less payload Also, some versions have air suspension.

The Hybrid version might have some weird stuff going on, as well. Even though the GVWR is a nice 7330lb, the hybrid drivetrain, permanently mounted towards the front, might have made them decide to de-rate the rear for a better ride.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That video just confirms the ugliness of the Tundra. The front end of that truck is just way too big. The TOYOTA font on the grille and dash are gigantic and look out of place. As I thought...lots of cheap, shiny looking plastic on the interior. Painting the A pillars black in another mistake. The back seat area is tiny compared to the Ram and the battery under the seat is a waste of space.

I do like the instrument cluster and it has black lug nuts. Other than that, it's a swing and a miss.

Last edited:

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It really depends on which trim level that sticker applies to. The TRD Pro will have softer springs an less payload Also, some versions have air suspension.

The Hybrid version might have some weird stuff going on, as well. Even though the GVWR is a nice 7330lb, the hybrid drivetrain, permanently mounted towards the front, might have made them decide to de-rate the rear for a better ride.

Air suspension on Ram doesn’t change its GAWR though

here is payload from that Tundra

CE9E7C43-7D9A-496F-81C8-11A3F59907DA.png

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
Air suspension on Ram doesn’t change its GAWR though

here is payload from that Tundra

View attachment 107159
Um, that's actually pretty impressive. 1270kg = 2800lbs. 2800lbs of payload??? Am I misinterpreting that? What other 1/2-ton truck has that kind of payload?

I'm not 100% sure on the Ram's air suspension. Does the Ram's air suspension system replace the springs or does it just help level the truck. The GAWR would really come down to the tires and springs/shocks. Honestly, I'm not sure why the front GAWR is higher than the rear, but I'm guessing it has something to do with how they built the truck to handle the weight of the hybrid system.

It's hard enough to consistently find these stickers posted on google images. Unless I went to a dealership and took a picture of every sticker on every 2021 Ram/F150/Silverado and noted the options, It's hard for me to really judge if the Tundra's 3670lb rear capacity is really going to make or break its real-world usage, especially on a 1/2 truck that is claiming 7330lb GVWR and 2800lbs of payload, AND most importantly probably will maintain a decent ride quality when empty.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Um, that's actually pretty impressive. 1270kg = 2800lbs. 2800lbs of payload??? Am I misinterpreting that? What other 1/2-ton truck has that kind of payload?

F-150 w/ HDPP

B1002E0A-1511-43DB-B82C-660F42A5AC94.jpeg
I'm not 100% sure on the Ram's air suspension. Does the Ram's air suspension system replace the springs or does it just help level the truck.
Ram fully replaces its coil springs with air springs

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
Yep, you are misinterpreting that. It’s 1,270 lbs or 575 kg. Check the picture again.
Ah, yup, I definitely read that wrong. I saw kg really quick. I'll go back and say I suspect this is the TRD pro. The off-road version is going to have **** for payload. I'd like to see if the Rear GAWR changes on the other models.

According to Toyota:
"Look forward to a maximum payload capacity of 1,940 pounds and a maximum towing capacity of 12,000 pounds when properly equipped, with every hauling experience made better with Toyota's groundbreaking towing technology."
The Payload Capacity of 1940lbs seems pretty decent when you consider there is no 2-door version. It's probably right in line with the competition. If they're looking to tow up to 12,000lbs, that's 1200-1800lbs on the tongue.

For payload comparison:
Here's the Ford Raptor: 1,142 to 1,366 lbs
Vs the Standard F-150: 1,745 to 2,238 lbs

Here's the Ram TRX: 1,310 lbs
Vs. the Standard Ram: 1,242 to 2,322 lbs

Here's the Silverado ZR2: 1,440 lbs
Vs. the Standard Silverado: 1,761 to 2,310 lbs

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Here's the Ram TRX: 1,310 lbs
Vs. the Standard Ram: 1,242 to 2,322 lbs

I agree that the off-road or performance variant of every truck is going to have less payload (or on the lower end of the scale) versus the "standard" models. However, with the proper options, the advertised payloads (guessing thats where you got the above info from) is even less, for all trucks.

My truck's sticker states 1,103. Its a well optioned, heavy Limited. If I had the MFT, it'd be even a tad less.

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
My truck's sticker states 1,103. Its a well optioned, heavy Limited. If I had the MFT, it'd be even a tad less.
Yea, I've noticed some of the Rams are as low as 1050. Checking off some of those options is risky. 4 adults + my daily carry (tools, straps, chain, boots, etc) would put me at the max. Or just 1 adult plus the tongue weight of a trailer.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I've been following the 2022 Tundra owners group on FB. Honestly, I like the new Tundra a lot. Heavily improved over the outgoing model.

The power is impressive. It's got a 10-speed now. They finally fixed the rear axle ratio and dropped it down to a 3.30 which is MUCH more suitable for a 1/2 ton truck. Much better technology. The composite bed is great. The new rear suspension is nice. And it has a heated steering wheel, my favorite Ram/Jeep feature! So all in all, the new Tundra looks amazing in and out.

The problem with it is the pricing. It's very expensive. And this is being compounded by dealer mark-up. Most dealers are doing $5k to $10k mark-up. That's the #1 complaint I'm seeing on the owners groups. Buy a $55k truck for $70k, wreck it a month later, and you're screwed.

So, I'm out. Not buying a Tundra. Toyota and their dealers have both screwed this truck from the get-go. AND....to make it worse you cannot walk into a Toyota dealer and order exactly what you want. I didn't know that until now.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So I've been following the 2022 Tundra owners group on FB. Honestly, I like the new Tundra a lot. Heavily improved over the outgoing model.

The power is impressive. It's got a 10-speed now. They finally fixed the rear axle ratio and dropped it down to a 3.30 which is MUCH more suitable for a 1/2 ton truck. Much better technology. The composite bed is great. The new rear suspension is nice. And it has a heated steering wheel, my favorite Ram/Jeep feature! So all in all, the new Tundra looks amazing in and out.

The problem with it is the pricing. It's very expensive. And this is being compounded by dealer mark-up. Most dealers are doing $5k to $10k mark-up. That's the #1 complaint I'm seeing on the owners groups. Buy a $55k truck for $70k, wreck it a month later, and you're screwed.

So, I'm out. Not buying a Tundra. Toyota and their dealers have both screwed this truck from the get-go. AND....to make it worse you cannot walk into a Toyota dealer and order exactly what you want. I didn't know that until now.
I’ll be happy when the dealership model gets abolished for manufacturers building dealerships to sell direct to consumer. There are laws against that in most states at this point, but new EV legislation puts a loophole in that.

However, I listened to a live stream yesterday where the organization giving the live stream got texts from a rep at a manufacturer about pricing. The rep stated that since people are willing to pay higher prices at the dealer, it’s a clear sign that the manufacturer’s pricing is too low and they’re evaluating raising it. If that happens, it will cause dealers to just up their prices further.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score

A few flaws in your statements above:

1. Any new, highly anticipated vehicle will be sold at MSRP or higher if in limited supply
2. The supply chain issues have created a monster with dealers having the ability, based on extremely low inventory, to sell with a market adjustment (and people are paying it which further reinforces the fact they can get away with it):mad:
3. I would never buy a first year redesign unless you are willing to take the year-1 risks and you're ok with "bugs" that need to be worked out (2019 perfect example case in point)
4. Once the supply chain debacle is "over", and dealers in 2023 have a ton of vehicles on their lots (hopefully), pricing may go back to "normal"
5. My plan is to wait until the winter of 2022, or spring of 2023 and look at all of the new trucks available and their supply status

I will be looking closely at the following:

• Tundra
  • Chevrolet Silverado ZR2
  • GMC Sierra AT4X & Denali Ultimate
  • RAM Limited
  • Ford Lightning
  • Rivian R1T
As long as I can get what I want, and it's under $80K (invoice or close to invoice), 2023 will be my next truck model year. If I have to, I'll wait until 2024 as there is no rush.

Users who are viewing this thread