5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Toyota Tundra

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not in California. The governor said no new car sales with gas engines starting in 2035 so I only have until 2034. ;) :cautious:
The person that used to be... they were on a Wheaties box a long time ago, said they would change that if elected

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Reaction score
The 2030 - 2035 timeframe to go all-electric for new sales is pretty much standard now across most of the World. Most manufacturers will get there way before then.

The infrastructure to support so many electric vehicles is what I'm worried about, but if you build the demand, they will build the infrastructure, just maybe not in the timeframe they think.

Johnnyb001

Reaction score
I foresee a hefty price tag with no incentives for this rig. Better be pretty sweet to compete with RAM/Chevy/Ford.
Meh, Toyota doesn’t really take the full size truck market seriously, they sell everything they care to make at close to MSRP (compared to domestics). Toyota isn’t a serious competitor (sales wise) to any of the big 3, they sell like 15% of the trucks the next “competitor” (Ram)

traveller09

Reaction score
It would take an amazing truck from Toyota to drag me away from my Ram. We'll see what's available in 5 or 6 years.
All it would take for me (more my wife) is comfortable seats for a long road trip. That is the only reason we bought a RAM instead of a 2021 TRD Pro.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
The 2030 - 2035 timeframe to go all-electric for new sales is pretty much standard now across most of the World. Most manufacturers will get there way before then.

The infrastructure to support so many electric vehicles is what I'm worried about, but if you build the demand, they will build the infrastructure, just maybe not in the timeframe they think.
I'm curious to know where they think all of the electric power will come from. With all the dams being taken out in the West, elimination of nuclear power plants, and coal being phased out, there will not be enough power generation to support all the charging stations that will be needed to charge all the EV's. There isn't enough real estate in the country for the number of wind mills or solar panels it will take to support this. Then there's the raw materials necessary to produce all of the batteries that will be needed. Either the ICE will continue to be offered or the number of people driving will need to be drastically reduced.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Meh, Toyota doesn’t really take the full size truck market seriously, they sell everything they care to make at close to MSRP (compared to domestics). Toyota isn’t a serious competitor (sales wise) to any of the big 3, they sell like 15% of the trucks the next “competitor” (Ram)
Agree that Toyota will never compete with top three. I was trying to say that with an updated tech package you can bet this truck will be every bit if not more than a top three truck fully loaded even at MSRP. I got a chuckle when the article stated that "We believe the dramatically redesigned rig takes direct aim at Silverado and Ram 1500s, and F-150s."

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Personally guys...I am shocked at all the haters talking $hit about stuff you don't even know will be true. Wait for it come out and then blast the crap out of it if you wish. From what we can all see, it looks like it will be a very nice truck that is positioning itself to far better compete with the Big 3 and enter the 21st Century. Time will tell, but instead of talking out of your @$$, you may want to wait to better understand the facts once more details come out. One thing no one can argue is that the Tundra has been the most reliable, trouble free truck on the market for many years. Just sayin...not a Toyota lover, but I'll hold my judgement until we get more details and I can actually go see and drive one ;)

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Personally guys...I am shocked at all the haters talking $hit about stuff you don't even know will be true. Wait for it come out and then blast the crap out of it if you wish. From what we can all see, it looks like it will be a very nice truck that is positioning itself to far better compete with the Big 3 and enter the 21st Century. Time will tell, but instead of talking out of your @$$, you may want to wait to better understand the facts once more details come out. One thing no one can argue is that the Tundra has been the most reliable, trouble free truck on the market for many years. Just sayin...not a Toyota lover, but I'll hold my judgement until we get more details and I can actually go see and drive one ;)

For a RAM fan site, it's honestly not too bad, considering what we say about Ford and GM trucks :)

The Toyota Tundra is reliable because it's literally from 2008 and they got all the kinks worked out. It's also simple = reliable, which isn't a bad thing, which is why their trucks and SUVs are so sought after for overlanders all over the World. You don't want to go out in the Australian Bush with something questionable. This new truck will definitely test their capabilities in regards to manufacturing and quality control considering how modern it is expected to be.

But as a Toyota fan myself, I can tell you I expect it to be very good when it comes out. We recently purchased a Toyota C-HR, their cheapest crossover (i.e. tall hatchback). But it's made well, thick steel body and it feels like it will last a thousand years. The other cars in it's class honestly felt like toys in comparison.

gpbst3

Reaction score
I had a 14 Tundra before my Ram. It was a dated truck. Toyota was behind the times.

I’m worried this new design will be a camery/rav 4 love child. Similar to what Honda did with the ridgeline. They are going to throw a car interior inside and call it a day

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Talking **** about other guy's trucks is an American tradition - you're stomping on almost 100 years of history here! :p

Actually, pretty much all new vehicles are pretty damned nice these days. American vehicles were really a ****show by the late 70s and the Japanese competition really upped everyone's game. Full-size trucks were really the last bastion where Ford/GM/Chrysler could just offer whatever and that's the way it was, but after the Nissan Titan in 2004 and then the redesigned "real" full-size Tundra in 2007, there were reasonable alternatives that forced the Big 3 to put more R&D into their vehicles. The result today is if anyone gave you any of these trucks, the worst of the bunch would be light years ahead of the best of the bunch 20 years ago.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My first truck was a 1992 Toyota pickup - standard cab, 5 speed, 2wd with the 4-cyl (22RE). Never had a problem with it and was a great truck.

Fast forward 25 years and I'm in the market for a new truck (2019). I visit the Toyota dealership to check out new Tundras:

1. Salesperson was semi-friendly until I started asking questions, then became huffy when I wasn't completely sold on any of the trucks I looked at.
2. Discounts are minimal. Outside of a couple thousand for a factory discount there wasn't anything to be had as far as a "deal" outside of an additional $500 because I'm a veteran.

The only truck that interested me was a Limited that was 4 years old and they still wanted $45K for it. Yes, they are very reliable vehicles but if my choice is a 4-year-old Tundra for $45K or a brand new RAM 1500 for $44K then I choose the RAM.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
My first truck was a 1992 Toyota pickup - standard cab, 5 speed, 2wd with the 4-cyl (22RE). Never had a problem with it and was a great truck.

Fast forward 25 years and I'm in the market for a new truck (2019). I visit the Toyota dealership to check out new Tundras:

1. Salesperson was semi-friendly until I started asking questions, then became huffy when I wasn't completely sold on any of the trucks I looked at.
2. Discounts are minimal. Outside of a couple thousand for a factory discount there wasn't anything to be had as far as a "deal" outside of an additional $500 because I'm a veteran.

The only truck that interested me was a Limited that was 4 years old and they still wanted $45K for it. Yes, they are very reliable vehicles but if my choice is a 4-year-old Tundra for $45K or a brand new RAM 1500 for $44K then I choose the RAM.

Good choice, and resale between the two is actually pretty close, even though there are a lot more RAMs out there than Tundras. When I was picking up our new Toyota C-HR, the saleman looked at my RAM and said I should trade it in on a Tundra. I told her I didn't want a 10 year old F150, lol.

I told her I'll wait until the new one comes and and think about it then.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Aww hell, I can't wait for next year's April Fool's Day....

I appreciate Toyota's level of mechanicsl engineering and quality. My first brand new truck was a 96 Tacoma 4*4 V6 5-speed. The only issues it had were my fault. Its just a shame that the Tundra hasn't been updated for so long. I really hope they knock it out of the park.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All it would take for me (more my wife) is comfortable seats for a long road trip. That is the only reason we bought a RAM instead of a 2021 TRD Pro.
The seats are also very high, you're looking out the top of the windshield and almost hitting your head on the headliner. The same as in our Highlander for the passenger, but not nearly as bad as the current Tundra (both passenger and driver).

Users who are viewing this thread