5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have been battling an on and off issue with registration verification emails not being sent out with certain users. We have finally got the issue resolved so if you have tried registering for the site but have not received a verification email, just request another verification email when you log in and you should now receive it. If you still don't receive the verification email, send us an email at [email protected] and we will get it resolved for you. Thanks!

2022 Toyota Tundra

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
These guys can be a bit silly sometimes, and are not always the best "experts", but they do get their hands on a lot of stuff early.

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
Toyota dropped the ball with the new coil suspension. Rear GAWR is only 3,670 lbs?! Why so weak?

View attachment 107088
It really depends on which trim level that sticker applies to. The TRD Pro will have softer springs an less payload Also, some versions have air suspension.

The Hybrid version might have some weird stuff going on, as well. Even though the GVWR is a nice 7330lb, the hybrid drivetrain, permanently mounted towards the front, might have made them decide to de-rate the rear for a better ride.

Idahoktm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That video just confirms the ugliness of the Tundra. The front end of that truck is just way too big. The TOYOTA font on the grille and dash are gigantic and look out of place. As I thought...lots of cheap, shiny looking plastic on the interior. Painting the A pillars black in another mistake. The back seat area is tiny compared to the Ram and the battery under the seat is a waste of space.

I do like the instrument cluster and it has black lug nuts. Other than that, it's a swing and a miss.

Last edited:

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It really depends on which trim level that sticker applies to. The TRD Pro will have softer springs an less payload Also, some versions have air suspension.

The Hybrid version might have some weird stuff going on, as well. Even though the GVWR is a nice 7330lb, the hybrid drivetrain, permanently mounted towards the front, might have made them decide to de-rate the rear for a better ride.

Air suspension on Ram doesn’t change its GAWR though

here is payload from that Tundra

CE9E7C43-7D9A-496F-81C8-11A3F59907DA.png

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
Air suspension on Ram doesn’t change its GAWR though

here is payload from that Tundra

View attachment 107159
Um, that's actually pretty impressive. 1270kg = 2800lbs. 2800lbs of payload??? Am I misinterpreting that? What other 1/2-ton truck has that kind of payload?

I'm not 100% sure on the Ram's air suspension. Does the Ram's air suspension system replace the springs or does it just help level the truck. The GAWR would really come down to the tires and springs/shocks. Honestly, I'm not sure why the front GAWR is higher than the rear, but I'm guessing it has something to do with how they built the truck to handle the weight of the hybrid system.

It's hard enough to consistently find these stickers posted on google images. Unless I went to a dealership and took a picture of every sticker on every 2021 Ram/F150/Silverado and noted the options, It's hard for me to really judge if the Tundra's 3670lb rear capacity is really going to make or break its real-world usage, especially on a 1/2 truck that is claiming 7330lb GVWR and 2800lbs of payload, AND most importantly probably will maintain a decent ride quality when empty.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Um, that's actually pretty impressive. 1270kg = 2800lbs. 2800lbs of payload??? Am I misinterpreting that? What other 1/2-ton truck has that kind of payload?

F-150 w/ HDPP

B1002E0A-1511-43DB-B82C-660F42A5AC94.jpeg
I'm not 100% sure on the Ram's air suspension. Does the Ram's air suspension system replace the springs or does it just help level the truck.
Ram fully replaces its coil springs with air springs

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
Yep, you are misinterpreting that. It’s 1,270 lbs or 575 kg. Check the picture again.
Ah, yup, I definitely read that wrong. I saw kg really quick. I'll go back and say I suspect this is the TRD pro. The off-road version is going to have **** for payload. I'd like to see if the Rear GAWR changes on the other models.

According to Toyota:
"Look forward to a maximum payload capacity of 1,940 pounds and a maximum towing capacity of 12,000 pounds when properly equipped, with every hauling experience made better with Toyota's groundbreaking towing technology."
The Payload Capacity of 1940lbs seems pretty decent when you consider there is no 2-door version. It's probably right in line with the competition. If they're looking to tow up to 12,000lbs, that's 1200-1800lbs on the tongue.

For payload comparison:
Here's the Ford Raptor: 1,142 to 1,366 lbs
Vs the Standard F-150: 1,745 to 2,238 lbs

Here's the Ram TRX: 1,310 lbs
Vs. the Standard Ram: 1,242 to 2,322 lbs

Here's the Silverado ZR2: 1,440 lbs
Vs. the Standard Silverado: 1,761 to 2,310 lbs

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Here's the Ram TRX: 1,310 lbs
Vs. the Standard Ram: 1,242 to 2,322 lbs

I agree that the off-road or performance variant of every truck is going to have less payload (or on the lower end of the scale) versus the "standard" models. However, with the proper options, the advertised payloads (guessing thats where you got the above info from) is even less, for all trucks.

My truck's sticker states 1,103. Its a well optioned, heavy Limited. If I had the MFT, it'd be even a tad less.

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
My truck's sticker states 1,103. Its a well optioned, heavy Limited. If I had the MFT, it'd be even a tad less.
Yea, I've noticed some of the Rams are as low as 1050. Checking off some of those options is risky. 4 adults + my daily carry (tools, straps, chain, boots, etc) would put me at the max. Or just 1 adult plus the tongue weight of a trailer.

Users who are viewing this thread