5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 steering wheel making a clicking noise

frostymug

Reaction score
Guys I have the exact same issue on my 2021 1500 Limited. I’m taking it in tomorrow for clicking when turning left and turning back to center from left. Annoying! And unfortunately, this is one of the more minor issues I am taking it in for.

llibkore6

Reaction score
Looks like I'm falling under this too. 2019 Laramie 2500 with 23k miles and a new steering column was just ordered due to the clicking sound when turning. Not sure about anyone else, but did the clicking not happen on cold mornings? Mine would kick in after the temp went above 50. I live in Houston so only a few cold days so far
Mine started having this problem 3 weeks ago and has gotten progressively worse. The temps here have been 0 to 30 degrees for the last few weeks. The cold temps seem to have no effect on the issue.

frostymug

Reaction score
Update on mine: the dealer said there was a loose wire in the steering column. No other details provided, just that they fixed it and issue resolved. Weird. No new parts were needed.

jastevenson

Reaction score
I think my 2021 may be developing this as well. Keeping an eye on it to see if it gets worsened will follow this thread.

Houston_RamOwner

Reaction score
Looks like I'm falling under this too. 2019 Laramie 2500 with 23k miles and a new steering column was just ordered due to the clicking sound when turning. Not sure about anyone else, but did the clicking not happen on cold mornings? Mine would kick in after the temp went above 50. I live in Houston so only a few cold days so far
Update - Dealer replaced the clock spring, no change. Installed steering column and picked it up yesterday. So far no more clicking.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I forgot I had this issue so mine must have been resolved with the clock spring replacement

ccpotts13

Reaction score
I bought a new 2021 Ram 1500 Limited on 3/11/21. I currently only have 1,700 Miles on the truck. This issue started with a single click/creak while turning left at around 1,200 miles and has progressed to multiple clicks/creaks in both direction. I will be calling today to get on the schedule for my dealer to make repairs.

Morenar

Reaction score
Hello All,
Came across this TSB yesterday.

Symptom/Vehicle Issue: Click Pop Creak Noise While Turning Steering Wheel Discussion: For JL/JT and DT built before and MOPAR service columns packaged before 10/15/2020; use a stethoscope to listen to the lower steering shaft while the steering wheel is being turned. Fig 1 shows the dust cover removed to show the energy absorbing slip joint of the steering shaft on the interior side near the front bulkhead. Listen to the joint with the engine running and off. If the noise is originating from this area replace the steering column. The energy absorbing joint is not designed to be serviced or repaired other than replacement as a column assembly

ccpotts13

Reaction score
I bought a new 2021 Ram 1500 Limited on 3/11/21. I currently only have 1,700 Miles on the truck. This issue started with a single click/creak while turning left at around 1,200 miles and has progressed to multiple clicks/creaks in both direction. I will be calling today to get on the schedule for my dealer to make repairs.
Status update: I contacted the dealer that day to make my appointment for the diagnosis and repair. My appointment is currently scheduled for 4/9/21. The clicking progressively gotten even worse. I am now at 2,000 Miles on the odometer and the steering column makes continuous random clicks throughout an entire turn. (I am PM'd @RamCares for their assistance if my dealer cannot resolve the issue)

Djamesb11

Reaction score
Taking my 2020 ram 1500 big horn in for the same issue tomorrow, thanks @21LTD, that should help them diagnose the problem quicker.

Jriggs172

Reaction score
Status update: I contacted the dealer that day to make my appointment for the diagnosis and repair. My appointment is currently scheduled for 4/9/21. The clicking progressively gotten even worse. I am now at 2,000 Miles on the odometer and the steering column makes continuous random clicks throughout an entire turn. (I am PM'd @RamCares for their assistance if my dealer cannot resolve the issue)
Did this ever get fixed? I'm having the same problem with my truck

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hello @Jriggs172!

We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern. Should you decide to address this concern with your dealer, we would love to provide additional assistance! Feel free to send us a private message to get started.

Hannah
Ram Cares

RedWhite&PatriotBlue

Reaction score
I am having this same issue, finally got to the point where I need to take it in. Drives me absolutely crazy driving home, through x3 back-to-back round-abouts. Clicks throughout the entire time from right to left and back again.

Got an appointment with a dealer next week to take the truck in. Hopefully the issues posted here will give the service department a starting point...

rliddle923

Reaction score
I have the exact same issue. 2021 Laramie. It drives me insane. It’s a click/creak that even the slightest movement of the wheel produces. Started about 1 month after purchase / 2k mi. It’s driving me insane.
Just took my 21 Laramie in today for same thing

Eminclake

Reaction score
2021 Ram Limited. Same issue as described by others. Started as simply an intermittent clanking sound when turning left and hitting a bump. Has become progressively frequent and more like a rattling over last several weeks. It's a bit unsettling now. The dealership gets it tomorrow morning. Hopefully by now there's a solution available that service departments are confident with.

Redrebel1507

Reaction score
Add me to the list. Purchased a 2021 Rebel 3.5 weeks ago and all of the sudden got the clicking/squeaking sound. Ran it to multiple dealers trying to get an appointment and each said steering column or clock spring.
I have an appointment later this week.
I hope it gets fixed correctly the first time and we get choose to replace the steering column. That is the decision that most on this thread had done for the fix

Mgollifer

Reaction score
Ram replaced the steering column in my 2021 Ram 1500 for the clicking issue and that solved the issue. It has been six months and it has been fine. I have been satisfied with the repair.

Video of issue/sound:

Users who are viewing this thread