5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 steering wheel making a clicking noise

cdn_cowboy

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. Mine is going in tomorrow for the clockspring which is hopefully all that is needed but if not I'm definitely going to be bringing this up with them!

William1034

Reaction score
On Dec 19th I was told the clock spring was back ordered for 45 days. Got a call today that the part is in and I’m scheduled to have it installed next Tuesday. I’ll post my results.

Mgollifer

Reaction score
I traded my 2019 because I had created a book an inch thick of warranty paper work for many many all different issues I had with it. I went up north for xmas vacation few weeks back from my home in Florida back to Indiana where I originally bought the truck and it broke down. I lost faith in that truck but not the ram brand. So I traded it in for a 2021 Ram. Here I am now not even a week into ownership after buying my new Ram Dec 30,2020 and the truck already has an issue. @cdn_cowboy did it sound like cheap plastic cracking right behind the steering wheel each time you turned? @RamCares how is it I have had two of your new generation trucks and find myself still sitting at the dealers on my days off when they can get me in?

William1034

Reaction score
Just got my truck back today. Replacing the clock spring only partially fixed. The dealer found this in their testing and let me know it would be another day to get the firewall bearing in and replaced.
065D9C86-5E46-4CD1-B48C-8C812F2A8E0E.jpeg

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I traded my 2019 because I had created a book an inch thick of warranty paper work for many many all different issues I had with it. I went up north for xmas vacation few weeks back from my home in Florida back to Indiana where I originally bought the truck and it broke down. I lost faith in that truck but not the ram brand. So I traded it in for a 2021 Ram. Here I am now not even a week into ownership after buying my new Ram Dec 30,2020 and the truck already has an issue. @cdn_cowboy did it sound like cheap plastic cracking right behind the steering wheel each time you turned? @RamCares how is it I have had two of your new generation trucks and find myself still sitting at the dealers on my days off when they can get me in?
Hi @Mgollifer, we sincerely apologize for the poor experiences you've been dealt lately. Please send us a private message with your VIN, as we would greatly appreciate the opportunity to assist you further with this concern.

Kathryn
RamCares

cdn_cowboy

Reaction score
Ya it sounded exactly like that. They replaced the steering column and the associated bearings and as of right now it's fixed. Fingers crossed it stays that way?

fire_mike

Reaction score
My 2020 Laramie steering makes a faint clicking sound at random times. It was driving me nuts, so i went under the dash to see if I could figure out the source. It's coming from where the shaft goes through the floor/firewall. I haven't taken it to the dealer yet, but I'm boing to make an appointment soon.

RamCares

Reaction score
My 2020 Laramie steering makes a faint clicking sound at random times. It was driving me nuts, so i went under the dash to see if I could figure out the source. It's coming from where the shaft goes through the floor/firewall. I haven't taken it to the dealer yet, but I'm boing to make an appointment soon.
Hi there! I apologize for the concerns you're experiencing lately. I kindly recommend getting this properly diagnosed by your Ram dealer, at your earliest convenience. If you would like extra support once your appointment is scheduled, please feel free to send our RamCares team a private message! We'd be happy to look into it further. Thanks!

Courtney
Ram Cares

Mgollifer

Reaction score
I just picked my truck up from the dealer today 1/20. They are claiming the whole steering column needs replaced. I find it odd on a 2 thousand mile truck that needs done but ok. If it fixes it I will be happy. Unfortunately the part is on back order and they cant give me an estimate on when.

cdn_cowboy

Reaction score
I just picked my truck up from the dealer today 1/20. They are claiming the whole steering column needs replaced. I find it odd on a 2 thousand mile truck that needs done but ok. If it fixes it I will be happy. Unfortunately the part is on back order and they cant give me an estimate on when.
This is what I had to have done a couple weeks ago... so far so good 🤞I’d love to hear from Ram Cares about why so many new Rams need replacement steering columns? According to Ram Canada “this is the first they’ve heard of it” - right. I have a hard time believing that since Chrysler engineering came back to my dealer with a ‘fix’ right away after the clock spring didn’t work and it’s been reported lots on many Ram forums. 🤦‍♂️

Houston_RamOwner

Reaction score
This is what I had to have done a couple weeks ago... so far so good 🤞I’d love to hear from Ram Cares about why so many new Rams need replacement steering columns? According to Ram Canada “this is the first they’ve heard of it” - right. I have a hard time believing that since Chrysler engineering came back to my dealer with a ‘fix’ right away after the clock spring didn’t work and it’s been reported lots on many Ram forums. 🤦‍♂️
Looks like I'm falling under this too. 2019 Laramie 2500 with 23k miles and a new steering column was just ordered due to the clicking sound when turning. Not sure about anyone else, but did the clicking not happen on cold mornings? Mine would kick in after the temp went above 50. I live in Houston so only a few cold days so far

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
My clock spring is getting replaced this week and we will see if that fixes mine. I will have to go out and see if mine does it right now as it’s cold here in Atlanta so I think my garage is probably below 50

cdn_cowboy

Reaction score
My clock spring is getting replaced this week and we will see if that fixes mine. I will have to go out and see if mine does it right now as it’s cold here in Atlanta so I think my garage is probably below 50
Unfortunately the clock spring alone won't fix it from experience.

cdn_cowboy

Reaction score
Yes that's exactly what it sounded like. Seems to be quite a few faulty steering columns out there. Maybe a bad batch on early production units? Since the column was replaced it's been good. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
Yes that's exactly what it sounded like. Seems to be quite a few faulty steering columns out there. Maybe a bad batch on early production units? Since the column was replaced it's been good. Fingers crossed it stays that way.
My noise wasn’t that prominent it was more of a clicking that you have to listen for

RamCares

Reaction score

Hi @Ellisstrong !

We heard you were getting your concerns addressed by your Ram dealer soon. Should you need any additional assistance while working with them to get this resolved, please feel free to send our @RamCares team a private message!

Thanks,
Courtney
Ram Cares

cdn_cowboy

Reaction score
My annoyance now is that since they replaced the steering column when I turn to the left the signal doesn't turn itself off about half of the time... argh!

Users who are viewing this thread