5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 night edition third brake light

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, got my mirror and camera installed today...good news, bad news time...

Good news - the mirror and camera works, also I found that the mirror, in camera mode, does dim the image as needed when the light sensor is covered.

Bad news - I lost many settings in the UConnect screen! Please see details in my thread. Is this just a coincidence of resetting the battery or could the mirror install cause this??

Completely normal after the radio loses battery power for more than a few minutes. Everything will automatically come back once the radio relearns the BCM configuration.

nandalora

Reaction score
Completely normal after the radio loses battery power for more than a few minutes. Everything will automatically come back once the radio relearns the BCM configuration.
Jimmy, thanks for the quick reply! I was kinda freaking out...I'll sit tight and wait. It's funny tho that the dealer didn't mention that because I told them that I disconnected the negative battery terminal.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ok, got my mirror and camera installed today...good news, bad news time...

Good news - the mirror and camera works, also I found that the mirror, in camera mode, does dim the image as needed when the light sensor is covered.

Bad news - I lost many settings in the UConnect screen! Please see details in my thread. Is this just a coincidence of resetting the battery or could the mirror install cause this??

What year is your truck? I assume it is a 2021 since it worked.

2020 Bighorn Night Edition, 5.7 Hemi w/eTorque

nandalora

Reaction score
What year is your truck? I assume it is a 2021 since it worked.

2020 Bighorn Night Edition, 5.7 Hemi w/eTorque

yeah, it's a 2021 Laramie. Need to put it in my signature.

All good now. Just like Jimmy said, all settings came back within an hour of having the battery connected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thatsme06

Reaction score
Third brake light: 68444540AB
Digital mirror: 68448641AB (I am selling mirror+cable currently, thread in the buy/sell/trade forum)
Cable: you can get a cheap one from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P2VBYWZ/ref=twister_B08BCSQCK1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1, or you can get a higher quality one from places like Pasternack with the correct keyed connectors on each end instead of the universal keyed connectors.
Would you happen to know the correct keyed connectors and cable we would need to order? I'd like to get a better quality cable than the amazon link for longevity purposes but have no clue what ends/connectors I would need to order? I appreciate the info!

udpumpkin

Reaction score
Would you happen to know the correct keyed connectors and cable we would need to order? I'd like to get a better quality cable than the amazon link for longevity purposes but have no clue what ends/connectors I would need to order? I appreciate the info!
Looking at knightro84's old posts, it looks like you need a 10' coaxial cable with a Fakra Type-A connector at one end and Type-B at the other. Judging by the pictures, it looks like it is a female connection at both ends. I think the type A and B connectors are color coded black and white, respectively. I'm guessing you need a 10' RG174 cable with the black Fakra at one end and the white at the other. I wouldn't buy off my guess but thought I would bump the thread to see if someone who actually knows responds.

I recently bought a 2021 Limited. Since inventory was so low, I couldn't get all of the options I wanted which includes the technology package. Reading through the posts here, it sounds like I should be able to buy the mirror, wire and brake light and do it myself pretty simply. Can someone confirm that for me please? On the display, there is an icon for a cargo cam, it seems. Does this brake light provide that functionality too, or just the digital rearview mirror?

For what it is worth, we rented an RV based on the Dodge Sprinter. It had a digital rearview and it worked great. A wider angle of view, bright crisp image and obviously anything between you and the rear window isn't in the way. After a while, I forgot it was a video screen.

knightro84

Reaction score
Looking at knightro84's old posts, it looks like you need a 10' coaxial cable with a Fakra Type-A connector at one end and Type-B at the other. Judging by the pictures, it looks like it is a female connection at both ends. I think the type A and B connectors are color coded black and white, respectively. I'm guessing you need a 10' RG174 cable with the black Fakra at one end and the white at the other. I wouldn't buy off my guess but thought I would bump the thread to see if someone who actually knows responds.

I recently bought a 2021 Limited. Since inventory was so low, I couldn't get all of the options I wanted which includes the technology package. Reading through the posts here, it sounds like I should be able to buy the mirror, wire and brake light and do it myself pretty simply. Can someone confirm that for me please? On the display, there is an icon for a cargo cam, it seems. Does this brake light provide that functionality too, or just the digital rearview mirror?

For what it is worth, we rented an RV based on the Dodge Sprinter. It had a digital rearview and it worked great. A wider angle of view, bright crisp image and obviously anything between you and the rear window isn't in the way. After a while, I forgot it was a video screen.

You are correct you need a 10' fakra cable. I bought mine with the A/B keyed connectors from Pasternak, others have bought cheaper ones with universal keyed connectors from Amazon and had success - just depends on how much $ you want to spend. I paid about $40 for the cable I bought.

You are correct that since you have a '21, all you'd need is the LED third brake light, the mirror, and a cable. The LED third brake light only has the "rear view" camera that connects to the digital mirror, not the cargo cam that points into the bed.

Thatsme06

Reaction score
You are correct you need a 10' fakra cable. I bought mine with the A/B keyed connectors from Pasternak, others have bought cheaper ones with universal keyed connectors from Amazon and had success - just depends on how much $ you want to spend. I paid about $40 for the cable I bought.

You are correct that since you have a '21, all you'd need is the LED third brake light, the mirror, and a cable. The LED third brake light only has the "rear view" camera that connects to the digital mirror, not the cargo cam that points into the bed.
Just to confirm does this look correct? I appreciate the feedback just not inclined on these cable and don't want to order the wrong one.

knightro84

Reaction score
Just to confirm does this look correct? I appreciate the feedback just not inclined on these cable and don't want to order the wrong one.

No, I had to custom make it using their "cable creator". You need fakra jack to fakra jack connector, one end needs to be black ("A" keyed connector) and one end needs to be white ("B" keyed connector). The below is a screenshot from their website. Click "The Cable Creator" near the top, then select the below options and make sure the little blue boxes are filled in. Then you click "create my cable assembly" and it will ask how long you want in inches, so would need to put 120 for 10 feet.

1621430359938.png

Thatsme06

Reaction score
No, I had to custom make it using their "cable creator". You need fakra jack to fakra jack connector, one end needs to be black ("A" keyed connector) and one end needs to be white ("B" keyed connector). The below is a screenshot from their website. Click "The Cable Creator" near the top, then select the below options and make sure the little blue boxes are filled in. Then you click "create my cable assembly" and it will ask how long you want in inches, so would need to put 120 for 10 feet.

View attachment 93907
Sweet thanks soo much for taking the time to do that I'm sure it'll be helpful to others as well!

udpumpkin

Reaction score
Alright guys,
I finally installed the rear view mirror and the LED CHMSL and boy is it rewarding.

1. I didn’t even take off the headliner. I ran a cable wire runner that I’ve used before to run cables through inside my walls inside my residence. I only took out the weather stripping from the driver side front and rear to fish out the wiring, which I started from the rear CHMSL, and kept running it towards the front of the truck. It took some time but at least I didn’t have to worry about taking off any bolts/screws to drop the liner.

Nothing like asking a question on a six-month-old post. I have the parts on order for my 2021 and running the wire is the only part I'm concerned about. When you removed the weather stripping, were you able to see the existing wiring and run the brake light wiring along the same path? I would prefer not to mess with the headliner but there looks like several components such as airbags and speakers in the headliner could cause some interference. The cable itself is thin but the Fakra connectors have some bulk making me wonder if they can be smoothly pulled through the space. Do you think any wire puller would do?

Thanks for posting your experience!

nandalora

Reaction score
Nothing like asking a question on a six-month-old post. I have the parts on order for my 2021 and running the wire is the only part I'm concerned about. When you removed the weather stripping, were you able to see the existing wiring and run the brake light wiring along the same path? I would prefer not to mess with the headliner but there looks like several components such as airbags and speakers in the headliner could cause some interference. The cable itself is thin but the Fakra connectors have some bulk making me wonder if they can be smoothly pulled through the space. Do you think any wire puller would do?

Thanks for posting your experience!

I just completed the install 2 weeks ago. Your right there is a lot of stuff in the headliner that makes it difficult to route the wire.

Here’s what I did:

- first remover the 3rd brake light
- pull the weather stripping on the passenger, rear and use a straightened coat hanger to push from the passenger side to the 3rd brake light opening. It’s tricky but take your time
- once the wire is through, tape the connector end to the wire with several wraps of electrical tape and pull through to passenger side
- continue pulling until you have just the amount of wire needed for the 3rd brake light
- touting the wire forward is much easier. I kept the wire inboard of the airbags
- routing the wire to the mirror was a similar process but push the coat hanger from the open overhead console area out to the passenger side headliner opening
- tape the connector like before and pull it through

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have more questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

udpumpkin

Reaction score
I just completed the install 2 weeks ago. Your right there is a lot of stuff in the headliner that makes it difficult to route the wire.
Awesome, thank you! I have some fiberglass wire pull rods I will try to fish the wire through. The weather stripping is just held in with friction?

Thatsme06

Reaction score
Another successful install! Took roughly 2 hours for the full install, the pasternack cable above worked out perfectly. Thanks for the help.

udpumpkin

Reaction score
Thanks to this forum, I braved the install on my 2021 Limited. I also ordered the pasternack cable in a 10' length. The way I ended up running the cable left about a foot of excess but I could see needing all 10 feet if you run the cable along the edge of the roofline the entire way.

The running of the wire was the worst part for me. I have the panoramic sunroof and there is a speaker or microphone all along the headliner over every seat. I went diagonal from the brake light to the rear passenger door. Then I ran it along the side to the front passenger door. There is really not much of a hole for cables near the rearview mirror. I ended up running the cable right along the headliner against the windshield. I used fiberglass cable runners but I can see a straightened coat hanger being just as good or better because there is very little clearance above the headliner.

I'm actually not sure if I lost the auto dimming function by making the switch. It wasn't clear to me from the forum posts whether it was all trucks not originally equipped with the digital rearview that lost it or it just depended on your truck's options. When I started the truck up and went to the auto dimming mirror icon, it the text was white. Touching it didn't do anything other than make a beep. I seem to recall it turning blue when selected, but I'm not sure.

I have installed the bed utility rails, a tonneau cover and now this digital mirror. This one definitely had the most "I hope I don't break something important" moments but wasn't hard.

nandalora

Reaction score
I've had mine installed for about a month now and the only thing I'd change is to have a more wide-angle or zoomed out view. When I tow my TT the trailer fills almost the entire mirror. I was hoping the camera view would help with seeing around the trailer but it does not.

Does anyone, familiar with these types of cameras, think it'd be possible to swap the camera out for one with a wide angle lens??

Thanks

Evank33

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this on a 19 or 20 since the alphaobd update? All I'd have to purchase it the mirror if it works this time. (Have the wire and brake light installed from my first trials with this)

CI6

Reaction score
plan on a rack/tent that will block the 3rd brake light, thinking of moving it to the bed rack to bring back use of the rear view mirror. besides the fakra female to male cable, like this one, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M7TG6V2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2X7IHOFTAZ9BA&psc=1 is it possible to buy the connectors for the other connector? or best to splice and extend what is there on the third brake light? wondering if anyone with a topper has done this? would fashion a block off plate to over the 3rd brake light hole and allow the wire to extend out

Georgf

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to install just rearview camera in a halogen CHMSL and OEM digital mirror? Maybe camera sold separately and will cheaper then LED CHMSL.

Users who are viewing this thread