5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 night edition third brake light

Jeffrey_Sasquatch

Reaction score
It is becoming more prevalent with 5th Gen RAM's that the 3rd Brake Light is converted to LED has a high chance of causing issues with the RF MOD/FOB's. Many of the aftermarket LED's generate a frequency that interferes with the RF Systems ability to detect the FOB, thus causing the error message of "FOB NOT DETECTED and or FOB HAS LEFT THE VEHICLE"......... I kid you not!

NewTruckWhoDis

Reaction score
Have people with 2021 rams also complained about this with their OEM LED third brake light? I've only seen people with aftermarket complain. I switched to aftermarket and have had no issues.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It is becoming more prevalent with 5th Gen RAM's that the 3rd Brake Light is converted to LED has a high chance of causing issues with the RF MOD/FOB's. Many of the aftermarket LED's generate a frequency that interferes with the RF Systems ability to detect the FOB, thus causing the error message of "FOB NOT DETECTED and or FOB HAS LEFT THE VEHICLE"......... I kid you not!
This won’t happen with the factory LED CHMSL. AlfaOBD will need to be used to enable the LED CHMSL setting, though, so the PWM gets shut off and the brake lamp out message won’t display. This setting is built into the BCM for this reason for when the factory LED CHMSL is used.

moparleo51

Reaction score
This won’t happen with the factory LED CHMSL. AlfaOBD will need to be used to enable the LED CHMSL setting, though, so the PWM gets shut off and the brake lamp out message won’t display. This setting is built into the BCM for this reason for when the factory LED CHMSL is used.
so if i get this new brake light with the camera, all i need is the alfod? would the current alfod settings for a 2019 ram work ona new light lie this? and would it be able to be turned on via the screen not the expensive rearview mirror?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
so if i get this new brake light with the camera, all i need is the alfod? would the current alfod settings for a 2019 ram work ona new light lie this? and would it be able to be turned on via the screen not the expensive rearview mirror?
Alfaobd will work for the LED lights in the CHMSL, because that setting is already in the list available to change. There’s no setting to enable the digital rear view mirror yet, and when there is, you’ll need the windows version to force the connection to a 2021 BCM to be able to have that setting show up when you connect a 2019/2020 ram.
As far as displaying the image from that camera on the radio display, it all depends what type of camera it is using. That’s why I just need to see the connectors on the back of one of these mirrors. If it’s digital, then no, because the radio’s only digital camera input is already being used for the rear camera. If it’s analog, then yes, but you can’t make it work like it does in the mirror because you would have to configure it as the cargo camera input. That means you’ll have to press the cargo camera soft key on the screen every time you want to bring up the camera image, and it will only display for 10 seconds at a time.

Gitter

Reaction score
Alfaobd will work for the LED lights in the CHMSL, because that setting is already in the list available to change. There’s no setting to enable the digital rear view mirror yet, and when there is, you’ll need the windows version to force the connection to a 2021 BCM to be able to have that setting show up when you connect a 2019/2020 ram.
As far as displaying the image from that camera on the radio display, it all depends what type of camera it is using. That’s why I just need to see the connectors on the back of one of these mirrors. If it’s digital, then no, because the radio’s only digital camera input is already being used for the rear camera. If it’s analog, then yes, but you can’t make it work like it does in the mirror because you would have to configure it as the cargo camera input. That means you’ll have to press the cargo camera soft key on the screen every time you want to bring up the camera image, and it will only display for 10 seconds at a time.
Tazer DT can also enable the 3rd brake light as LED. It can also let you view any of the camera views at any speed.

Another feature is you can map some quick access features to a few of the steering wheel buttons. I have it so pressing "res" button (when no cruise control is active) to see the 360 camera view.

I bring this up because it would be neat if the new cargo camera could be utilized by the Tazer DT like I can with the 360 cameras on the 12" screen...?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Tazer DT can also enable the 3rd brake light as LED. It can also let you view any of the camera views at any speed.

Another feature is you can map some quick access features to a few of the steering wheel buttons. I have it so pressing "res" button (when no cruise control is active) to see the 360 camera view.

I bring this up because it would be neat if the new cargo camera could be utilized by the Tazer DT like I can with the 360 cameras on the 12" screen...?
Doesn’t matter if using tazer or AlfaOBD. The problem is, this is not a “cargo camera” in the sense that everyone seems to be thinking. It is it’s own separate system completely disassociated with the radio module/display. It’s a camera that has it’s own monitor (the mirror) with an on/off switch, presumably run on LIN Bus.

Last edited:

NewTruckWhoDis

Reaction score
Is this a new feature for the Tazer? I still click the little icon on the uconnect screen to activate the 360 (huge lifesaver for lifted trucks in tiny drive-thrus)
My only complaint with the Tazer is the UI. If there was a uConnect on-screen option it would be 1000 times better.

Gitter

Reaction score
Doesn’t matter if using tazer or AlfaOBD. The problem is, this is not a “cargo camera” in the sense that everyone seems to be thinking. It is it’s own separate system completely disassociated with the radio module/display. It’s a camera that has it’s own monitor (the mirror) with an on/off switch, presumably run on LIN Bus.
I know this feed is meant for the new rear view mirror, but there is a chance the signal may be integrated into one of the views on the uConnect screen (although I don't have any hopes of that happening for this generation of uConnect).

Is this a new feature for the Tazer? I still click the little icon on the uconnect screen to activate the 360 (huge lifesaver for lifted trucks in tiny drive-thrus)
My only complaint with the Tazer is the UI. If there was a uConnect on-screen option it would be 1000 times better.

I don't know if it's a new feature or not. I just got my Tazer a couple weeks ago. It has definitely come in handy while going in drive thrus and also while towing my Travel Trailer!

100% agree that the Tazer UI is difficult to navigate! Lol

Therealdarkknight

Reaction score
So I finally got the light in from USPS, but it was chipped on the right side. I contacted the Florida Ram I ordered it from so we will see what they say. I did do a test fit on the truck, its plug and play for the 3rd brake light and cargo lights. However, for the camera/mirror to work it looks like its a separate coaxial cable running to the 3rd brake light. (There is no plug in the current harness for it fyi) I will have to order that mirror from a 2021 and see if there's a harness to order for it as well.

Attachments

• IMG_0276.jpeg
    IMG_0276.jpeg
    213.9 KB · Views: 801
  • IMG_0271.jpeg
    IMG_0271.jpeg
    127.4 KB · Views: 801
  • IMG_0269.jpeg
    IMG_0269.jpeg
    72.9 KB · Views: 810
  • IMG_0270.jpeg
    IMG_0270.jpeg
    131.9 KB · Views: 799
  • IMG_0268.jpeg
    IMG_0268.jpeg
    101.3 KB · Views: 809

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So I finally got the light in from USPS, but it was chipped on the right side. I contacted the Florida Ram I ordered it from so we will see what they say. I did do a test fit on the truck, its plug and play for the 3rd brake light and cargo lights. However, for the camera/mirror to work it looks like its a separate coaxial cable running to the 3rd brake light. (There is no plug in the current harness for it fyi) I will have to order that mirror from a 2021 and see if there's a harness to order for it as well.
Thanks for the pics. This will be the cable from the CHMSL camera to the mirror- https://www.amazon.com/StickyDeal-V...pY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1
But...there’s no way to enable the camera and mirror yet.
For those wondering if it’ll work for showing up in the radio display, it won’t work.

Daverous

Reaction score
Bummer about the chip, but thanks a ton for the photos.
Anyone find the part number on the mirror yet? Still lots to figure out, just curious.

Therealdarkknight

Reaction score
Thanks for that! I hadn't got around to looking for the cable just yet. I have Tazer DT so hopefully they have an update for that. if its just getting video feed from the camera, the button on the camera should still work right? even if I wont be able to get to it from the UC12 screen?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for that! I hadn't got around to looking for the cable just yet. I have Tazer DT so hopefully they have an update for that. if its just getting video feed from the camera, the button on the camera should still work right? even if I wont be able to get to it from the UC12 screen?
The camera and mirror won’t work until it’s told to by the BCM, since that mirror itself is a module. I envision there being a setting under LIN and Misc. to enable the mirror switch, and a setting under Cabin Network to enable the mirror and bring it online with canbus.

Bwsteg

Reaction score
Great info. Was there any error codes on the dash from replacing the light with the new LED version?

Therealdarkknight

Reaction score
No error codes, the ram dealership I ordered from refunded me the money on the light. I was going to order another one but I am using this one till the new one gets in. This one just has a small chip in the corner. I would ship it to someone if they don't mind the chip for $150.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
No error codes, the ram dealership I ordered from refunded me the money on the light. I was going to order another one but I am using this one till the new one gets in. This one just has a small chip in the corner. I would ship it to someone if they don't mind the chip for $150.
How does it mount? Looks like there's only two screw holes, and the non-LED lights mount with four screws. I've read that the seal has been improved. Can you tell us if it's different than the seal on your original light?

Gitter

Reaction score

Thanks for sharing these pictures! Quick question, are there no cargo lights integrated into this new CMHSL?

Therealdarkknight

Reaction score
How does it mount? Looks like there's only two screw holes, and the non-LED lights mount with four screws. I've read that the seal has been improved. Can you tell us if it's different than the seal on your original light?
You're right, theres only two screw holes, the two inner ones are replaced with clips. The foam gasket is definetly thicker on the new brake light and it feels like it creates a better seal. However, I havent washed my truck since the install so I can't say for sure lol
Thanks for sharing these pictures! Quick question, are there no cargo lights integrated into this new CMHSL?
There are cargo lights, its the bottom row of the LEDs. Ill see if I can take a picture tonight to show it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online