5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 RAM 1500 hellwig swaybar

taz2016

Reaction score
View attachment 33312

See instructions above item #5
reconfirm info as I pulled it off internet for the 7709 model sway bar.
I talked to a Hellwig tech today. Apparently the instructions have not been updated for our 5th gen models. He said to tighten to the oem torque specs but didn't know what they were.
Anybody got a DT manual with the right torque spec?
I've been trying to get the 2019 Ram DT usb manual but they have been out of stock. Hopefully after they figure out why they have been sending out the wrong ones they will restock the DT manuals.

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
I never hauled anything without my hellwig installed so I guess that’s why my feedback is soo much less than some others. I guess I put it on so soon that I didn’t even get a chance to experience all of the ill effects of not having one. I did haul a half yard of pea gravel in my bed and never felt any real wobble with it installed
Ellisstrong,

You could always test drive a stock vehicle and take it around a few curves to feel the difference or if you know someone with stock vehicle that may help feel the difference.

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
I tried mine in the middle initially then moved it to the firmest setting. It only takes a minute or two to change but I won’t be changing it again. I don’t see any downside to the firmest setting and it does help the truck feel more planted.
I love driving this Longhorn now! The sway bar, Pedal Commander, S&B intake and Magnaflow muffler have really transformed it into a very fun truck to drive. Puts a smile on my face every time
Kxlexus,

That is the key to the joy of your vehicle(any vehicle)---enjoying the drive, long or short. "Put a smile on my face every time" <---that statement sums it up!!!

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I talked to a Hellwig tech today. Apparently the instructions have not been updated for our 5th gen models. He said to tighten to the oem torque specs but didn't know what they were.
Anybody got a DT manual with the right torque spec?
I've been trying to get the 2019 Ram DT usb manual but they have been out of stock. Hopefully after they figure out why they have been sending out the wrong ones they will restock the DT manuals.
Ha! Never thought to look at the service manual.
Thanks for doing this. Here are the specs (74 ft lbs)... Why not 75? o_O

Attachments

• 17 - Rear Suspension:Technical Specifications TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS.pdf
    8.4 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:

rrbhokies

Reaction score
I hate this forum!! I just bought one. Arrives Thursday. Can't wait to install it this weekend. You guys are making me go broke!!!

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
How many of you guys that bought the swaybar and notice significant improvements, are running light trucks? Like with a payload of over 1600 pounds? I don't notice anything that makes me anxious while driving mine, but I have a light truck with more than 1700 pounds payload.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
How many of you guys that bought the swaybar and notice significant improvements, are running light trucks? Like with a payload of over 1600 pounds? I don't notice anything that makes me anxious while driving mine, but I have a light truck with more than 1700 pounds payload.
Not me. I have a fully loaded LTD, so I would imagine it makes more of a difference than it would with a lighter truck.
That being said, I believe it will be an improvement regardless. You will thank me later... :p

rsmeanie

Reaction score
Amazon showed up an hour ago. Swaybar installed. Just took a quick drive down the freeway and some twisties and I'm definitely happy with this purchase. The backend always felt soft in the corners and all of that is gone now. I set it on the middle hole and I'm good with it.

Hellwig1.png

Hellwig2.png

Hellwig3.png

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok, here's a weird one. I know a few complained about an odd lane change assist error message that had never seen in almost a year. Now that I've got the Hellwig sway bar on (I think this is what's causing it) I've gotten this message flashed up about every 3-4 days, Lane keep assist - please place hands on the steering wheel.

Several times it flashed up so quickly I couldn't read it, others longer. I've had my hands on the wheel the whole time so I can only assume the suspension/steering geometry is just different enough to trigger this.

Anyone else? I went back to the 2nd hole for a long road trip (19 hours in two days so far).

MN5241

Reaction score
Ok, here's a weird one. I know a few complained about an odd lane change assist error message that had never seen in almost a year. Now that I've got the Hellwig sway bar on (I think this is what's causing it) I've gotten this message flashed up about every 3-4 days, Lane keep assist - please place hands on the steering wheel.

Several times it flashed up so quickly I couldn't read it, others longer. I've had my hands on the wheel the whole time so I can only assume the suspension/steering geometry is just different enough to trigger this.

Anyone else? I went back to the 2nd hole for a long road trip (19 hours in two days so far).
No sway Hellwig in mine, get it all the time. Basically it occurs when I have say 1 finger or not putting much input into the steering so it seems. Not very inconsistent. But I'll be getting the Hellwig so I can see if it happens more often or not.

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
I have the Bighorn level 2 with payload of 1749. I added the OEM sidesteps and my tires were about 13 lbs heavier each (Falken retail version of the ATW3's). So a little more weight added. I also have the 6'4 bed.

I think the following have added to my "feeling" the sway bar results more than others---

1. I take curves (and scrutinize them) most likely harder than the average bear. Autocross days allowed me opportunity to understand how a few PSI (tires) played a part in the curve and handling of vehicle(BMW at the time). When I get the opportunity of no other vehicles around and a curve is involved; I flashback and enjoy hitting the curve hard, make a smooth weight transition through the curve and holding the line.

2. Obviously the Sway bar itself and improvement over stock feeling

3. Have to say my tires felt grippier going around the curves over the stock even before getting sway bar--going from the stock all season Nexen to the all-terrain Falkens (I have ran both the Falkens and Nexen on my BMW trying many tires) You could add tire pressure too as that plays a part in the "feel" (along with smoother roads here in Florida)

4. The wheel spacers adding little more width over stock feeling (1.5" front, 2.0" rears)

I think the combination of my factors contribute to my butt-o-meter feeling happier through the curves.

A bit longer, a bit wider, a bit grippier, and much stiffer sway bar = better handling than stock and less roll/lean.

JasonB

Reaction score
The weight of the tires wont make a difference in body roll because they do not add to the axle / suspension loading. If they are taller than stock then the increase CG and that would add body roll. Bed rails would increase the weight , just like putting stuff in the bed.

The sway bar rocks

Users who are viewing this thread