5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 RAM 1500 hellwig swaybar

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How much does the Hellwig sway bar weigh and how much does the factory sway bar weigh? I think I saw a video which stated that the sway bars were purposely made hollow to save weight, which may also account for the difference in performance.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
How much does the Hellwig sway bar weigh and how much does the factory sway bar weigh? I think I saw a video which stated that the sway bars were purposely made hollow to save weight, which may also account for the difference in performance.
I did not weigh them (went straight to the trash) but I would say the stock is about half the weight of the Hellwig. Also very flexible, which is the reason they perform so poorly.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did not weigh them (went straight to the trash) but I would say the stock is about half the weight of the Hellwig. Also very flexible, which is the reason they perform so poorly.
So just spit balling, if you could get a sway bar, from a 2018 Ram, it would probably be solid and might perform like the Hellwig for less cost?

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So just spit balling, if you could get a sway bar, from a 2018 Ram, it would probably be solid and might perform like the Hellwig for less cost?

I doubt it because Hellwig makes the exact same aftermarket bar for both DS and DT models. I don't know if the DS bar was hollow but obviously Hellwig and customers thought an upgrade was in order.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I second what he said. I still have mine and can try and weigh it, maybe Hellwigs site says what that one weights but I’d say the stock one is even less than half of what the Hellwig weighs. My neighbor saw me installing mine and couldn’t understand why I was doing it until I made him hold both of them.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I second what he said. I still have mine and can try and weigh it, maybe Hellwigs site says what that one weights but I’d say the stock one is even less than half of what the Hellwig weighs. My neighbor saw me installing mine and couldn’t understand why I was doing it until I made him hold both of them.
The Hellwig is solid, the Ram is hollow, definitely going to have different torque characteristics. Would beninteresting to know if DS model was also hollow. I, by the way have no desire to change mine, I was just following the thread and was curious. I personally have not noticed any swaying as described on this thread but I am sure that is probably due to my driving style and the fact that I have not put any heavy load into my truck bed yet.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The Hellwig is solid, the Ram is hollow, definitely going to have different torque characteristics. Would beninteresting to know if DS model was also hollow. I, by the way have no desire to change mine, I was just following the thread and was curious. I personally have not noticed any swaying as described on this thread but I am sure that is probably due to my driving style and the fact that I have not put any heavy load into my truck bed yet.
I sold my old one to a DS truck owner as he had broke his. I believe the sway bars from the DS to DT models are the same.

barakutha

Reaction score
Few days driving around town, I'm loving it. Really changes some driving dynamics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

taz2016

Reaction score
How tight are the end link nuts supposed to be? The instructions talk about the rubber bushing expanding. My end links had a rubber bellow but no bushing and I could see no expansion. Are they supposed to be tight or is there supposed to be some play left?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
How tight are the end link nuts supposed to be? The instructions talk about the rubber bushing expanding. My end links had a rubber bellow but no bushing and I could see no expansion. Are they supposed to be tight or is there supposed to be some play left?
I noticed this also. I tightened them until I could no longer turn the nut. Not going anywhere :LOL:

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score

See instructions above item #5
reconfirm info as I pulled it off internet for the 7709 model sway bar.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, except they don't bulge no matter how tight you get them, so I just tightened them until they stopped.
I did the same thing, no bulge.

PS Neurobit: I did move the Hellwig to the stiffest setting and it is a little better. Over the weekend I hauled 700lbs of mulch and could definitely feel some wobble back there when I forced it but overall it was steady. I could see how if you were towing a trailer with a large tongue weight that it would be pretty hairy without the Hellwig, but if I towed more I'd get a 2500.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score

PS Neurobit: I did move the Hellwig to the stiffest setting and it is a little better. Over the weekend I hauled 700lbs of mulch and could definitely feel some wobble back there when I forced it but overall it was steady. I could see how if you were towing a trailer with a large tongue weight that it would be pretty hairy without the Hellwig, but if I towed more I'd get a 2500.
Glad to hear. I have mine on the middle right now. I don't tow but def like the more planted feel. I can't imagine going back to stock now. :)

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I never hauled anything without my hellwig installed so I guess that’s why my feedback is soo much less than some others. I guess I put it on so soon that I didn’t even get a chance to experience all of the ill effects of not having one. I did haul a half yard of pea gravel in my bed and never felt any real wobble with it installed

Kxlexus

Reaction score
I tried mine in the middle initially then moved it to the firmest setting. It only takes a minute or two to change but I won’t be changing it again. I don’t see any downside to the firmest setting and it does help the truck feel more planted.
I love driving this Longhorn now! The sway bar, Pedal Commander, S&B intake and Magnaflow muffler have really transformed it into a very fun truck to drive. Puts a smile on my face every time

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I tried mine in the middle initially then moved it to the firmest setting. It only takes a minute or two to change but I won’t be changing it again. I don’t see any downside to the firmest setting and it does help the truck feel more planted.
I love driving this Longhorn now! The sway bar, Pedal Commander, S&B intake and Magnaflow muffler have really transformed it into a very fun truck to drive. Puts a smile on my face every time
Sweet. Almost the same addons I have except for the CAI. PC getting delivered tomorrow. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread