5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 1500 5th wheel towing

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think your 3200# on a nearly 3000# payload is no real issue as work-type trucks are routinely overloaded when used “as trucks”.
Yes. But my truck also had about 500lbs of cargo/passengers in the cab. And I realize comparing a 2500 to a 1500 in that scenario is mute.

I completely agree the length of the trailer as compared to the TV is something that makes more difference than overloading by 200lbs.

In thia case my set up is also conservative. The truck is about 22 foot and our travel trailer is 24 foot. I have no stress heading to the campground.

I wish I had asked to take a pic of the one guy I saw 5th wheel towing with 2019 Ram.

He had a 2wd crew cab 6'4 bed tradesman. And that setup looked much better than the f250 beside him hauling a 5th wheel a 3500 dually would cringe at.

It really comes down to the whole picture. Length of trip, topography, experience, good quality hitches, an honest approach to what we want with regard to what we can safely tow.

It is getting better here as people have started to understand GVWR GAWR GCWR and that max towing is not attainable with a RAM limited

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I that really a huge issue? Thanks for any input!

There are two types of response to this, I'm always in the one that says "if you need a calculator to figure out how close you are to exceeding (or how badly), you're in the wrong truck."

Let's say something goes horribly wrong on your trip, and it's due to overweight. How badly will you kick yourself? Is it worth the loss of time/money/equipment/life to you?

That's basically why I could never pull the weights some posters just gloss over and hand wave away. I would never live with myself if something went horribly wrong, and I knew that was a possibility beforehand due to using the wrong tool for the job. Different story if I did my homework, did everything I could to be safe and within limits and an accident happens despite that. But purposely just "hoping for the best" knowing you're overweight, could never do it because of how I would react if something went badly wrong.

drhoda

Reaction score
My payload sticker for my 2019 Limited says 1333 lbs. My GVWR is 7100 lbs and the ram site says the maximum curb weight for a limited is 5232 lbs. So these numbers do not jive. How can I verify my actual curb weight?

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My payload sticker for my 2019 Limited says 1333 lbs. My GVWR is 7100 lbs and the ram site says the maximum curb weight for a limited is 5232 lbs. So these numbers do not jive. How can I verify my actual curb weight?

The site has been known for being wrong, the curb weight of a stripped down Limited might be 5232 lbs.
Your curb weight is GVWR minus what the payload sticker inside your drivers door says. So 7100-1333=5767 lbs. To verify this, you can go to a CAT scale or any other place with a scale (quarry etc.)

drhoda

Reaction score
I have looked on multiple sites all over the internet and the absolute highest curb weight I can find for a 4x4 fully loaded Limited is 5232...which makes me wonder if the payload sticker could be in error. I guess I will have to weigh it but it sure would be nice if there was a reliable reference online

WhattheTruck!

Reaction score
I have looked on multiple sites all over the internet and the absolute highest curb weight I can find for a 4x4 fully loaded Limited is 5232...which makes me wonder if the payload sticker could be in error. I guess I will have to weigh it but it sure would be nice if there was a reliable reference online
Have you checked the My Mopar site? For me, it tells me the specifics of my truck which was 1lb. different than what is on my sticker. I just used the GVWR - max payload to determine my curb weight. I haven't weighed my truck empty, but did with the family and a few accessories and it seemed pretty close (enough) to my estimated numbers.

1600371596644.png

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are a few examples of 4x4 Limited trim trucks on this site with ~1100 payload. That means their curb weight is about 6000. See the “Please post your Tire and Loading sticker” thread. You’ll see plenty of Limiteds with payloads similar to yours, it’s the norm.

My payload sticker says 1479 and I weighed the truck the second day I owned it. The sticker was correct. See my signature as a reference. If you have more options than me your payload will be less.

timquicksell

Reaction score
I have a quad cab and bought it to tow a small 5th wheel – an Escape fiberglass trailer that weighs 5,000 pounds loaded with a pin weight of around 800. I ordered my Lone Star with few options – tow package, 33 gallon tank, level 1 equipment, 3.21 diff – in order to get a high payload, and I have a payload of 1,804 which should be plenty. I towed a similar small fifth wheel for many years with my 98 Ram 5.9 and love the way a fifth wheel tows vs. a bumper pull - far more stable, and shorter overall length when hitched up so easier to fit into smaller campsites.

I bought my truck last July and found that none of the hitch manufacturers had a rail bracket kit for mounting the rails in the new body style Ram. Without a truck-specific mounting kit, no one wanted to try to do a custom installation – trucks are so complex now with so many variables no one would mess with it. Reese and Curt both supposedly had rail bracket kits in the works but kept pushing out the ETA. Apparently there is a weld seam under the bed of the new body style Ram right where a bolt hole would normally go for the brackets that was giving them problems designing something to work. We have to go pick up our new trailer next month and I was getting worried that we might not be able to get hitch rails installed in time.

A couple of weeks ago I found out that Demco had come out with a rail bracket kit for the new body style, part number 8552032. Just in time for me – I got the rails and hitch installed today and now I’m all set to go pick up our new fifth wheel next month. Thought I’d share this because no one seemed to know about the Demco rail bracket kit, I actually found out about it when talking to a Demco factory rep about something else. If you’re trying to get fifth wheel rails installed in a new Ram this is the only option until Curt or Reese comes out with their own brackets.

It doesn’t matter what brand of brackets or rails you use, they are all industry standard so any rail-mounted fifth wheel hitch designed for ISR rails will fit on any rails. I wound up getting a Demco hitch also because I liked that particular hitch, takes up less space in the bed and is lighter than most fifth wheel hitches.

Another option for the new Rams is the B&W Turnover Ball, which does have a kit to fit the new body style. It mounts a removable gooseneck ball that leaves a completely flat bed when you take it out, which is a plus if you need to haul other stuff. There are a few fifth wheel hitches that come in a version that mounts to a gooseneck ball instead of rails – the Demco Recon I just bought is one and there are others.

View attachment 17865
I just got Registered on this forum and have been wondering about towing my 5th Wheel Winnebago Micro Minnie 5500 dry weight trailer with a Reese Goosebox which I put on my Micro Minnie. How has towing your 5th Wheel with your 1500 Ram? What type for Ram do you have? With the Coil spring suspension seems to squat quite a lot, what's your experience? Doe your truck tow in windy conditions good?
I would purchase a Ram 1500 with ecodiesel along with the Air Suspension, which I think would eliminate the squatting condition I saw on a Ram 1500 loaded with 20 bags of mulch. Appreciate any experience you can pass on would be greatly appreciated....

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just got Registered on this forum and have been wondering about towing my 5th Wheel Winnebago Micro Minnie 5500 dry weight trailer with a Reese Goosebox which I put on my Micro Minnie. How has towing your 5th Wheel with your 1500 Ram? What type for Ram do you have? With the Coil spring suspension seems to squat quite a lot, what's your experience? Doe your truck tow in windy conditions good?
I would purchase a Ram 1500 with ecodiesel along with the Air Suspension, which I think would eliminate the squatting condition I saw on a Ram 1500 loaded with 20 bags of mulch. Appreciate any experience you can pass on would be greatly appreciated....

A little over 2000 miles so far this trip with NO problems other than a blown tire on the trailer that caused no issues. Using the B&W turnover ball and an Anderson Ultimate. Tows solid with no wind issues.
Dash display.jpg Gila Bend.jpg

timquicksell

Reaction score
Nice Truck! Thanks for your comments and mostly pics, do you have a pic with your 5th Wheel hooked up, I'm mostly concerned about the squat after seeing the Ram 1500 at home depot squatting so much. Appreciate your inputs...

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice setup. What speed do you usually run or feel is the sweet spot on the highway?
I try to keep it at 55-60. No trouble getting it up to 65-70 when passing is needed, but the best mileage and safest speed in my opinion is 55-60 as in the pic. Aloso, I usually run the cruise and not in tow/haul. No problems with trans or water temps. If in hilly terrain I do run tow/haul if needed. Picture of dash was outside of Sacramento on the way to AZ in November.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice Truck! Thanks for your comments and mostly pics, do you have a pic with your 5th Wheel hooked up, I'm mostly concerned about the squat after seeing the Ram 1500 at home depot squatting so much. Appreciate your inputs...
No squat issues. Dropped the pin-box in order to get the pivot point a little lower in the bed, and want to check clearances before heading back up north, so will take some picks in a day or two.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here you go. You can see very little squat. Truck sits level. As you can see the RV pad has a little crown, but the truck/ground shadow is pretty even. 20210114_111945.jpg 20210114_112342.jpg

Deck

Reaction score
Glad to hear you found a hitch. Can not wait to see your Ram coupled up to that new camper @Davidmurphy02
We are looking at getting a 5th wheel. It is a Durango model 283RLT with dry wt. of 8750 lbs. I have a 2020 Ram 1500 Limited with trailer tow package, 5.7L Hemi., 3.92 rear axle, 22in. rims and 4 wheel air suspension. One guys said my tow capacity was 11,490 and another said 12,500 ?? I just want to make sure I am OK and can tow this rig comfortably before I make the plunge!! anyone have a similar set up ? results/thoughts? thanks

Deck

Reaction score
Here you go. You can see very little squat. Truck sits level. As you can see the RV pad has a little crown, but the truck/ground shadow is pretty even. View attachment 79540 View attachment 79541
We are looking at getting a 5th wheel. It is a Durango model 283RLT with dry wt. of 8750 lbs. I have a 2020 Ram 1500 Limited with trailer tow package, 5.7L Hemi., 3.92 rear axle, 22in. rims and 4 wheel air suspension. One guys said my tow capacity was 11,490 and another said 12,500 ?? I just want to make sure I am OK and can tow this rig comfortably before I make the plunge!! anyone have a similar set up ? results/thoughts? thanks

Users who are viewing this thread