2019 Ram 1500 5th wheel towing

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think your 3200# on a nearly 3000# payload is no real issue as work-type trucks are routinely overloaded when used “as trucks”.
Yes. But my truck also had about 500lbs of cargo/passengers in the cab. And I realize comparing a 2500 to a 1500 in that scenario is mute.

I completely agree the length of the trailer as compared to the TV is something that makes more difference than overloading by 200lbs.

In thia case my set up is also conservative. The truck is about 22 foot and our travel trailer is 24 foot. I have no stress heading to the campground.

I wish I had asked to take a pic of the one guy I saw 5th wheel towing with 2019 Ram.

He had a 2wd crew cab 6'4 bed tradesman. And that setup looked much better than the f250 beside him hauling a 5th wheel a 3500 dually would cringe at.

It really comes down to the whole picture. Length of trip, topography, experience, good quality hitches, an honest approach to what we want with regard to what we can safely tow.

It is getting better here as people have started to understand GVWR GAWR GCWR and that max towing is not attainable with a RAM limited

silver billet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I that really a huge issue? Thanks for any input!
There are two types of response to this, I'm always in the one that says "if you need a calculator to figure out how close you are to exceeding (or how badly), you're in the wrong truck."

Let's say something goes horribly wrong on your trip, and it's due to overweight. How badly will you kick yourself? Is it worth the loss of time/money/equipment/life to you?

That's basically why I could never pull the weights some posters just gloss over and hand wave away. I would never live with myself if something went horribly wrong, and I knew that was a possibility beforehand due to using the wrong tool for the job. Different story if I did my homework, did everything I could to be safe and within limits and an accident happens despite that. But purposely just "hoping for the best" knowing you're overweight, could never do it because of how I would react if something went badly wrong.

drhoda

Reaction score
My payload sticker for my 2019 Limited says 1333 lbs. My GVWR is 7100 lbs and the ram site says the maximum curb weight for a limited is 5232 lbs. So these numbers do not jive. How can I verify my actual curb weight?

jdefoe0424

Reaction score
My payload sticker for my 2019 Limited says 1333 lbs. My GVWR is 7100 lbs and the ram site says the maximum curb weight for a limited is 5232 lbs. So these numbers do not jive. How can I verify my actual curb weight?
The site has been known for being wrong, the curb weight of a stripped down Limited might be 5232 lbs.
Your curb weight is GVWR minus what the payload sticker inside your drivers door says. So 7100-1333=5767 lbs. To verify this, you can go to a CAT scale or any other place with a scale (quarry etc.)

drhoda

Reaction score
I have looked on multiple sites all over the internet and the absolute highest curb weight I can find for a 4x4 fully loaded Limited is 5232...which makes me wonder if the payload sticker could be in error. I guess I will have to weigh it but it sure would be nice if there was a reliable reference online

WhattheTruck!

Reaction score
I have looked on multiple sites all over the internet and the absolute highest curb weight I can find for a 4x4 fully loaded Limited is 5232...which makes me wonder if the payload sticker could be in error. I guess I will have to weigh it but it sure would be nice if there was a reliable reference online
Have you checked the My Mopar site? For me, it tells me the specifics of my truck which was 1lb. different than what is on my sticker. I just used the GVWR - max payload to determine my curb weight. I haven't weighed my truck empty, but did with the family and a few accessories and it seemed pretty close (enough) to my estimated numbers.

1600371596644.png

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are a few examples of 4x4 Limited trim trucks on this site with ~1100 payload. That means their curb weight is about 6000. See the “Please post your Tire and Loading sticker” thread. You’ll see plenty of Limiteds with payloads similar to yours, it’s the norm.

My payload sticker says 1479 and I weighed the truck the second day I owned it. The sticker was correct. See my signature as a reference. If you have more options than me your payload will be less.