5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 1500 5th wheel towing

NordicNevs

Reaction score
5th wheel towing with a half ton is a funny thing. I make sure to give all you an extra wide birth.
Or I just wait until a heavy wind slows you down, or a hill, or any condition where stress is placed on the truck and trailer combo.

9995 GVWR with a coiled rear spring 1/2ton is stupid (even with its 8XXX dry weight) even if you have air “support”. Physics doesn’t support it unless it’s a 100% controlled environment, which is never in real world applications.
Loaded you can expect a 2,000 lbs of pin weight
That’s without your hitches
That’s without your passengers
That’s without your gear

Well, I suppose I could be wrong. Those that make money off those who will fall for it will support the 1500 towing capability claims too.

I’m not trying to be an a$$ but the 5th wheel towing behind a 1500 is foolish at best. There has only ever been one combination that I personally would endorse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
5th wheel towing with a half ton is a funny thing. I make sure to give all you an extra wide birth.
Or I just wait until a heavy wind slows you down, or a hill, or any condition where stress is placed on the truck and trailer combo.

9995 GVWR with a coiled rear spring 1/2ton is stupid (even with its 8XXX dry weight) even if you have air “support”. Physics doesn’t support it unless it’s a 100% controlled environment, which is never in real world applications.
That’s without your gear

Well, I suppose I could be wrong. Those that make money off those who will fall for it will support the 1500 towing capability claims too.

I’m not trying to be an a$$ but the 5th wheel towing behind a 1500 is foolish at best. There has only ever been one combination that I personally would endorse.

Did a pretty good for not trying.
I see someone that has only towed heavy with a HD truck. I see in your info/picture you use a 2500/3500 and tow a heavy trailer. Good for you. Been there, done that. Now moved to something smaller and do just fine. Not everyone feels the need to be the "BIG DOG" on the road.
Happy towing.

Last edited:

barr0208

Reaction score

That’s without your gear

I respect your opinion but that's what it is your opinion. I have experienced 60 mph cross winds common sense says slow down which I did I was not white knuckling I have gone out west into alberta rolling hills and some climbing either than running in 7th gear and downshifting to 5th was able to maintain highway speeds with out difficulty.

Last edited:

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Did a pretty good for not trying.
I see someone that has only towed heavy with a HD truck. I see in your info/picture you use a 2500/3500 and tow a heavy trailer. Good for you. Been there, done that. Now moved to something smaller and do just fine. Not everyone feels the need to be the "BIG DOG" on the road.
Happy towing.

I have no issues with the 1500 towing
In the correct configuration

I own a 1500 that I pull an ATV and small utility trailer behind it and not much else. That’s my choice though I know a small bumper pull could be a viable option as well given my set up (3.21 rear among others things). Some can go bigger and a longer wheel base is a good factor in that.

Pulling a camper / trailer behind your 1500 that’s fine but physics and engineered design is working against any 1500 owner who pulls a 5er. Has nothing to do with being the big dog on the road. Our application is sufficient given the length, weight pul is and axel restrictions and our wheel base. We have more than enough left over.
Positive margins are a good in my opinion.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've had this conversation before with them but some guys just know it all. When you point out that they're 1000 pounds over their payload at minimum, the argument basically becomes "I know what I'm doing, you don't know my setup". So you can't tell them you know better, but ironically enough they're telling the RAM engineers that they know better than them.

Facts and worrying about pounds are optional these days. What a world we live in.

I pray for the time when the MTO (in Canada) starts cracking down on these guys. Already for professionals they're getting quite strict, now they need to start handing out fines in other spots. I wouldn't care normally what people do with their trucks, but like drunk drivers they tend to take out other people with their actions.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have no issues with the 1500 towing
In the correct configuration

I own a 1500 that I pull an ATV and small utility trailer behind it and not much else. That’s my choice though I know a small bumper pull could be a viable option as well given my set up (3.21 rear among others things). Some can go bigger and a longer wheel base is a good factor in that.

Pulling a camper / trailer behind your 1500 that’s fine but physics and engineered design is working against any 1500 owner who pulls a 5er. Has nothing to do with being the big dog on the road. Our application is sufficient given the length, weight pul is and axel restrictions and our wheel base. We have more than enough left over.
Positive margins are a good in my opinion.

As is my application within rig/RV specs and experience levels. All I'm saying is that such a blanket statement that 1500's should not pull fivers is incorrect. Proper setup and staying within allowances and experience in pulling is the key to safe RVing.
I am glad to see that you are staying within your capabilities, as am I.
Happy towing

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had this conversation before with them but some guys just know it all. When you point out that they're 1000 pounds over their payload at minimum, the argument basically becomes "I know what I'm doing, you don't know my setup". So you can't tell them you know better, but ironically enough they're telling the RAM engineers that they know better than them.

Facts and worrying about pounds are optional these days. What a world we live in.

I pray for the time when the MTO (in Canada) starts cracking down on these guys. Already for professionals they're getting quite strict, now they need to start handing out fines in other spots. I wouldn't care normally what people do with their trucks, but like drunk drivers they tend to take out other people with their actions.
Over spec is one thing, but over speed is where the real problem may lie. I snowbird and see accidents waiting to happen all the time. Especially in the southern states, but all over. I have far more control of my setup at 55/60, than those I see running 70/80 with a 2500/3500 and a 44' toy hauler with scale weights well over 25000. Sure the truck can pull 70 mph, but if $h!t happens get out of the way. Shiny side up becomes a dream. California has an RV speed equal to semi speed at 55, and I wish the rest of the states would follow suit.
Just my 2 cents.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score

I haven't lived in BC for several years now (had a condo so went back and forth) but when I was there the RCMP was still sometimes checking trailers and truck campers on the #1 and #3. Not as much 5 ers', usually the really large double axle trailers and 10-12' truck campers. Mostly happened in the Revelstoke area and in the Kootenays from what I remember, but then I didn't go up to Prince George and north hardly at all.

PMantle

Reaction score
As is my application within rig/RV specs and experience levels. All I'm saying is that such a blanket statement that 1500's should not pull fivers is incorrect. Proper setup and staying within allowances and experience in pulling is the key to safe RVing.
I am glad to see that you are staying within your capabilities, as am I.
Happy towing
He really should stop posting. So much misinformation and ignorance.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Yeah ok

Ignorance? The only ignorant thing in this thread is the cancerous thought that a 1500 is a great 5er tow vehicle.

Whether in Iraq towing a sh*t ton more than your 1500 and not down the roads of small town USA, to my time hot shot hauling classic cars or my 5er and TT experience its clear that people like you are the route cause for people believing it’s ok to bite off more than what they can chew.

But but it’s speed but but it’s not weight.

I could go into Newton’s second law and educate you on a few things but that seems like a fools errand. You can’t teach those who don’t want to be taught or worse, those who are unable to learn... I guess that’s true here too.

Taking a comment like yours seriously is like giving credit to a flat earthers, which again is probably why you think a 1500 is a proper tow vehicle for a 5th wheel.

It’s ok, physics be damned you guys are right. I hope I can learn as much as you when I get more experience.

Keep paying into the misinformed and uneducated. I guess I would still help you up the hill, or pull you right side up when it happens. But by all means carry on.

Last edited:

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Name calling and attacking the individual is a sure sign of a loosing argument. It's all opinion, so relax.

I removed “clown” for the sensitive types but the rest stays.

Also hard to lose an argument when engineering and physics are involved. That said I’ll give you all one and only one trailer that is likely for the 1500 coiled suspension
0f031b4cac9551ca2abfb7570d13d239.jpg

So there is some hope out there I guess

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
He really should stop posting. So much misinformation and ignorance.
Hey guys, there are lightweight 5'ers. There are 150/1500's that can pull them, especially Ferd's with their max-tow package. RAM, not so much but they are out there (trailers that are towable). Are most of them too heavy for safety margins? Probably yes. Do most people ignore the margins and want to tow with what they have? Again, probably so.
While I am not a proponent of pushing the envelope as far as pin weights, they can be towed "legally" and within specs. Does that give the driver much margin? Well, debatable.

Anyway, here's a well balanced article on the availability of towable 5th wheels for 1/2 tons. Note that they are not all "rah-rah" about using a 1/2 ton (read down the article, don't just look at the chart), but they do you offer you some options/possibilities:

Fifth Wheel NameGross Vehicle WeightUnladen Vehicle WeightHitch Weight
Flagstaff Super Lite 524LWS9,165 lbs.7,149 lbs.1,165 lbs.
Rockwood Ultra Lite 2441WS9,165 lbs.7,149 lbs.1,165 lbs.
Durango Half Ton D250RES9,000 lbs.7,260 lbs.1,380 lbs.
Wildcat Maxx 272RLX11,590 lbs.8,533 lbs.1,430 lbs.
Highland Ultra Lite UF2804RK9,900 lbs.7,360 lbs.1,100 lbs.
Jayco Eagle HT 25.5 REOK9,995 lbs.7,700 lbs.1,375 lbs.
Cougar 27SGS10,290 lbs.8,046 lbs.1,495 lbs.
Starcraft Telluride 251 RES9,995 lbs.7,360 lbs.1,215 lbs.
Reflection 150 230RL9,495 lbs.6,945 lbs.1,195 lbs.
Palomino Puma 255RKS8,800 lbs.6,754 lbs.1,102 lbs.

Granted, they have pin weights that are appx 18% of the "unladen" weight, which I think is unrealistic (who ever tows empty?), and if you add say 500# to their weights, it makes most RAM 1500's with our lesser payload very questionable. (Not so with some F150's but this is a RAM forum.)

Guys there are towable 5'ers, just like there are towable larger dual-axle bumper pulls. It's just a fairly "skinny margin" and frankly most trailers will exceed the manufacturers recommendations once they are all loaded up for camping.

PMantle

Reaction score
Yeah ok

Ignorance? The only ignorant thing in this thread is the cancerous thought that a 1500 is a great 5er tow vehicle.

Whether in Iraq towing a sh*t ton more than your 1500 and not down the roads of small town USA, to my time hot shot hauling classic cars or my 5er and TT experience its clear that people like you are the route cause for people believing it’s ok to bite off more than what they can chew.

But but it’s speed but but it’s not weight.

I could go into Newton’s second law and educate you on a few things but that seems like a fools errand. You can’t teach those who don’t want to be taught or worse, those who are unable to learn... I guess that’s true here too.

Taking a comment like yours seriously is like giving credit to a flat earthers, which again is probably why you think a 1500 is a proper tow vehicle for a 5th wheel.

It’s ok, physics be damned you guys are right. I hope I can learn as much as you when I get more experience.

Keep paying into the misinformed and uneducated. I guess I would still help you up the hill, or pull you right side up when it happens. But by all means carry on.

Again, stop posting. You have no idea what you're talking about and are rude to boot.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
And I say again, all opinion. It's a dead thread. Let it go.
Yep, while not really dead, its turning into bickering so a good idea to either let it die or close it.
There's enough information already on here in the towing section (as well as a simple Google search for rv towing forums) that if a newby wants to read up on it they can.
Ex: "Towing with a half ton truck" brought up 18 pages on Google. 18...

Towing, diesel vs gas, 1/2 vs 3/4 and what else brings on more opinions/differences and flaming? Sigh.
I still see this forum being much more civil than many others, thankfully.
Adios to this one!

Last edited by a moderator:

BigBear1612

Reaction score
The hitch weight of a 30 ft travel trailer is around 600 to 700 lbs, so a fifth wheel is maybe 1000 lbs to 1200 lbs, so another 500 lbs for the fifth wheel? And the fifth wheel pin weight is in the truck bed not the tail end of the truck.

Last edited:

BigBear1612

Reaction score
Here are the specs for the new Winnebago fifth wheels. Note the dry weights and GVWR are very low.
SPECS
Specifications

WEIGHTS & MEASUREMENTS
2405BHNEW2405RG2405RL
Exterior Length26'9"26'9"26'9"
Exterior Height111'5"11'5"11'5"
Exterior Width27'7'7'
Awning Length18'18'18'
Interior Height7'7'7'
Freshwater Tank Capacity4 (gal.)313131
Water Heater Capacity (gal.)666
Holding Tank Capacity4 — Black (gal.)252525
Holding Tank Capacity4 — Gray (gal.)255025
LP Capacity5 (lbs.)404040
GVWR (lbs.)7,0007,0007,000
Sleeps9544
Axles (lbs.)2@3,7002@3,7002@3,700
Dry Weight (lbs.)5,7405,7805,640
Furnace (BTU)18,00018,00018,000
Hitch Weight (lbs.)1,1401,0601,100
Tire SizeS/B 235/75R15S/B 235/75R15S/B 235/75R15

INTERIOR

GALLEY

DavidNJ

Reaction score
There are three issues.

Any of them are above payload on all but a stripped Ram 1500.
The 1500 doesn't come with 5th wheel/gooseneck mounts. Installation is non-trivial.
The 1500 only comes in a short bed, which may need an offset mount, slider, or rotating turret pinbox.

Note that even in a 2500 the 5th wheel/gooseneck mounts aren't available with the Rambox. The Rambox is a great idea for stowing stuff.

In the end, with a 6.4L gas engine, the 2500 is probably a better choice. It is 4.5 gen, not 5th gen but the interior is more or less similar. It is a bit bigger, but has the option of a Megacab. It has an optional air suspension in the rear with a standard 4-link rear suspension. The trailering support with mirrors and cameras in much better on the 2500. The 8' bed (not available with the Megacab or Rambox) has a 50 gallon fuel tank.

Not only would it have the capacity, it probably would be less expensive when the dust settled.

Users who are viewing this thread