5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 1500 : Concerning Cabin Sounds

salemsbest

Reaction score
I went on a trip this last weekend and especially when I had two people in the backseat, the lightsaber noise came back, just like before. Loudest at 1500 rpm's. It is intermittent with only a passenger or just by myself, but the problem has NOT been resolved.

Will N.
I again have my truck in for service. I have started to document the days in which this sound occurs. The loudest by far was on Thanksgiving evening. The sound this time started at about 1400 RPM and vibrated my butt! If I would have had passengers in the back i would of been truly embarrassed! I have owned this truck for less than 3 months and this is the second time the truck has been in. The first being for almost 4 days! And a claim of it being fixed. I'm so frustrated, my first truck, my first Doge truck, thinking I should of gone to Chevy. To make things worse upon backing up it is shows green lines, safe distance than all of the sudden a loud thud and a jolt to a stop! What's that?? Man I lovethis truck otherwise, so many things right with it but if I have to deactivate the MDS/cylinder deactivation whatever they call it to enjoy being in my 49,000 truck ,No thank you. I want my 2009 Mercury back. I would hate to use the lemon law here.
I think your dealer is right. Mine goes away when I take off the MDS by using the gear limiter on the stearing wheel.

dswoboda2120

Reaction score
Most of my noise went away when they did the update in TSB 08-88-018. The dates in the TSB didn’t match my build date but my dealer applied the update anyway. You may want to check that out if you haven’t.

salemsbest

Reaction score
Yeah they updated it the first time but I'll make sure it was this update if there is more than one kind. They keep telling me it's when the truck deactivates to lower gears but I'm not buying it and if it is, they can have the truck. My friend has a 18" Silverado that drives the same and you don't have to put up with the noise. A little more cash but for my sanity, worth it. 2019 Doge Ram, right now in my book, needs more work...

Cyclo

Reaction score
My big horn is making the same noise. You can make the sound by placing the truck in park and revving the truck to 1500 rpm. I have had my truck in three or four times, the last time I had it in they did some updates and it came back worse. It now makes the noise with someone in the passenger seat. The dealer called the other day and said they want to try and replace the muffler. I was also told that it seems to only be the Big Horns that have this problem. Hopefully this can be solved in a timely manner as I don't want to go through the lemon law process. Maybe I can get the dealer to trade me up a model
Working now. I’ll keep you posted on the fix

Klinger82

Reaction score
Ive had my truck in twice now in a week and a half for the drone/humming noise. They did the TSB update and that didnt work. Now they told me its still the active noise cancellation and the fix for now is to pull the fuse for the whole system which eliminates the radio or drop the headliner and unplug the microphones that adjust for excess noise and drive with more road noise on the vehicle. I told them to unplug the mics for now due to having a newborn and that noise is unbearable so atleast I can have my family ride in the truck. They didnt have a timeframe as to a permanent solution but I have been dealing with this for 4 months already. First 2 times i called about it they told me if the sound isnt happening then dont bother bringing it in. Brand new truck and already unplugging stuff to make a quick fix. Ram better figure this out soon or lemon law paperwork is getting sent in.

salemsbest

Reaction score
Working now. I’ll keep you posted on the fix
Got a call from my service guy and in so many "politician" words he said my truck is doing exactly what it is supposed to be doing, activating the MDS to gear down for fuel efficiency. The noise is just an annoying issue. I said then it's a design flaw? He said he didn't want to say it was but it may since, I'm not the only complaint with them regarding only the Bighorn! He said to get around the sound is to deactivate the MDS while driving??? Does this make any sense??? They sold me this truck because I was concerned with fuel efficiency and they said the Ram was best in its class. Now they are telling me to turn off the system that saves me fuel because of their design flaw! And it is a flaw because they also said this truck had the best noise cancellation system in its class. Really? I beg to differ because every day at around 1400/1500 RPM the noise inside my cab is outrageous! Doge better come up with a better solution because this Bighorn owner less than 3 months in wants a different truck! Or I'm claiming the lemon law!

Cyclo

Reaction score
Got a call from my service guy and in so many "politician" words he said my truck is doing exactly what it is supposed to be doing, activating the MDS to gear down for fuel efficiency. The noise is just an annoying issue. I said then it's a design flaw? He said he didn't want to say it was but it may since, I'm not the only complaint with them regarding only the Bighorn! He said to get around the sound is to deactivate the MDS while driving??? Does this make any sense??? They sold me this truck because I was concerned with fuel efficiency and they said the Ram was best in its class. Now they are telling me to turn off the system that saves me fuel because of their design flaw! And it is a flaw because they also said this truck had the best noise cancellation system in its class. Really? I beg to differ because every day at around 1400/1500 RPM the noise inside my cab is outrageous! Doge better come up with a better solution because this Bighorn owner less than 3 months in wants a different truck! Or I'm claiming the lemon law!
Any other fixes for this?

My noise is back

Klinger82

Reaction score
Any other fixes for this?

My noise is back
My dealer called and said they are replacing amplifier in truck. They disconnected ANS so the loud drone noise went away but now its a waiting game because new amplifier is on backorder. Im ready to throw in the towel and break my lease for something else.

tf02

Reaction score
I have the same vibration/noise problem on my new 2019 big horn crew cab with 700 miles. The dealer has no idea whats wrong. Happens around 1500 RPM at any speed and when stopped in park if you rev the engine. They are taking a look at it next week. Ill post updates.

salemsbest

Reaction score
I have had a tradesman 1500 2019 with a 3.7 hemi etorque engine while my 2019 Big Horn has been in service. I have Not heard one peep from this truck, it is quiet as a mouse. It is so refreshing to be in a truck with my family and Not hear that annoying reverberation! I will be talking to my dealer tomorrow morning . This is definitely a Big Horn design flaw in my opinion and the service/sales department better be fixing this for me. I have owned this truck for less than 3 months. My patience is wearing thin.

M0brando

Reaction score
5.9 non-etorque engine and mine did it a few times today with 120 miles on the odometer (build date of 11/13/18). Really the first time I haven't been on the highway with it so I would guess it's around the 1500rpm mark that others are stating. Of course it was my maiden voyage with all the family in it ... what a way to show off the new Ram! Will be watching for a fix that I can prescribe to the dealer vs. having them guess or tell me what their opinion is. I also have the burning plastic smell still but hopefully that's new truck smells and not related.

EStein

Reaction score
Howdy all :

So I've had my '19 1500 BigHorn for a few weeks now, and have recently noticed something odd and interesting. (I came from a '17 Silverado CrewCab LTZ Z71) I had put a 2 wheeled cart in the back of the crew cab which triggered some crazy pulsing / humming sounds. It sounds like the world's most boring Lighstaber duel.

Then, fast forward to yesterday, and I loaded up a couple friends in the back seat for a little road trip, and the sounds came back, albeit much less pronounced than what's in the video.

It feels like some sort of weirdness with whatever noise cancelling system the vehicle has. Only happens when something or someone substantial is in the back (dogs don't trigger it). I'm going to be bringing it to my dealer this week to investigate. Anyways : Has anyone else experienced this?

Same here. Only bad when loaded....usually around 1500 rpm.

salemsbest

Reaction score
So less than a week later, the sound is back and it started and was most prevalent with 3 people in the back seat. There is also an aggravating vibration in my accelerator pedal and driver's floor board and comes and goes, but mostly stays.

I am going to say that we still have a problem and this is starting to wear thin on me.
I've been having the same issues with my 2019 Big Horn, have your issues been addressed and resolved? I'm one phone call away from calling the Chrysler care number and getting a claim started so I can get this resolved one way or another. My dealer had it for a week twice over and basically told me " sorry the truck is running as intended " infuriates me! The truck is not! They stated the truck was best in its class for noise cancellation and when my children are in the back it's so loud at certain RPMS you can't stand it!

DC98402

Reaction score
Same issue here, dealer flashed the amp as it said to do in one of the tsb’s, made the noise worse. They then replaced the amp, noise was still there. Dealer says they’ve opened a STAR case and have been told by FCA that there are 4K RAMs identified that have this issue and they do not have a fix yet, but have instructed the dealer to clip the microphone wires for the ANC until they come up with a fix. Has anyone else been told the same thing?

Klinger82

Reaction score
Same issue here, dealer flashed the amp as it said to do in one of the tsb’s, made the noise worse. They then replaced the amp, noise was still there. Dealer says they’ve opened a STAR case and have been told by FCA that there are 4K RAMs identified that have this issue and they do not have a fix yet, but have instructed the dealer to clip the microphone wires for the ANC until they come up with a fix. Has anyone else been told the same thing?

My dealership unplugged some wires under the driver seat which disconnected the ANC. They ordered a new amplifier which I am trying to get installed in the next week hopefully. They have opened a STAR case already which has basically just had someone from RAM care calling me with the same information that the dealership is telling me when I go in for service. They were going to cut the microphone wires but didnt want to pull the headliner so they just disconnected it from the amp under the seat. That fixed the issue but now the noise cancellation doesnt muffle the road noise and excess exterior noise as intended so I get rid of the loud drone/hum and gain more constant road noise. So basically if Ram says to cut the microphone wires you will have more loud cabin noise until they figure something out. Pay for a truck that states best in class for noise cancellation but disconnecting the mics and then what. Keep us updated if you get a solution

DC98402

Reaction score
Hopefully the new amp works for you, it didn’t do anything in my case. I’m going in to get the wires clipped tomorrow and of course I expect what you stated, no more drone noise but more road noise etc.
I don’t know what the fix will be to actually get ANC back without the drone noise or when they’ll come up with one. But I agree, I paid for a truck with this option and now what. Hope FCA steps up somehow.

Papa Newms

Reaction score
I've been having the same issues with my 2019 Big Horn, have your issues been addressed and resolved? I'm one phone call away from calling the Chrysler care number and getting a claim started so I can get this resolved one way or another. My dealer had it for a week twice over and basically told me " sorry the truck is running as intended " infuriates me! The truck is not! They stated the truck was best in its class for noise cancellation and when my children are in the back it's so loud at certain RPMS you can't stand it!
No the issue has not been resolved. My dealer cannot get it to replicate, but then again they cannot continue to put 4 additional people in the car and go for a ride. This is my 5th time in for this problem and while they did get it better, it still shows up at random. courtesy calls from Ram care but no real engineer involvement as of yet at the dealer level to my knowledge. They do acknowledge the problem exists. Hard not to when there is a flash for it!!

Probably going for option "B".

Will N.

dswoboda2120

Reaction score
Just wondering if you turn off MDS when there are more than two people in the truck. It works for me to stop the drone.

Steveover

Reaction score
This forum has given me the hebee jebees, after Christmas I’m going to cancel my bighorn order and wait for the 2020’s

dswoboda2120

Reaction score
This forum has given me the hebee jebees, after Christmas I’m going to cancel my bighorn order and wait for the 2020’s

Read any trucks forum and you will get the hebee jebees. I love my truck; Don't regret buying it for a second. A 2020 may not have some of the problems discussed here, but it will have its own problems.

Users who are viewing this thread