5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 1500 : Concerning Cabin Sounds

DC98402

Reaction score
Took the truck in to the dealer today. They followed instructions from FCA and cut one of the microphone wires to disable the ANC. Noise is gone. Now to wait and see if FCA comes up with a fix.

nerdrock

Reaction score
Sorry all i'd totally forgotten about this thread. Anyways : a while back they replaced the amplifier according to the service bulletin mentioned a long time ago, and it solved the issue MOST of the time. Loading up the back of the cab no longer reliably made the issue happen, but the issue still happens just on its own with no apparent rhyme or reason. It happens occasionally at 72MPH highway cruising in 8th gear (dropping down to 7th and it's fine again)... and it also continues to happen at very short bursts during city driving. My dealer says they've had another truck report the same issues and disconnecting the ANC cables eliminated the noise, so they want to potentially try the same with mine. So, great. I'll get to take the truck in again (for the SIXTH TIME. but only currently have 3 service records because of course FCA dealers are going to try and save the environment and keep paperwork down and skirt lemon law documentation)... have them disconnect the cables, and sit around and wait for FCA to consider trying to solve the issue. the only chance i've gotten to record it was the other evening.
. It's nowhere near as loud as it was before the amp replacement, but holy moly still annoying. Apologies to anyone who cranks the volume in the video, I rolled the window down at one point and well, that's loud.

Last edited:

Hackmunch

Reaction score
here is what i have stumbled apon. i am an audio guys so please bare with me. when the mds is enabled a 38hz tone is ran thru the sub and doors out of phase to try and combat the exhaust drone (the exhaust drone is heard because 4 cyclinders are not firing). this is very easy to hear once you add an aftermaket amplifier to the system. if you crack the window the anc becomes disabled and the noise will go away. it you disable mds by using manual shift limit or tow haul mode the noise will go away. the pulsar with mds off will not eliminate the noise because the pulsar tuner really doesnt eliminate mds. it tricks the mds by reving engine to turn it off. all FCA has to do is eliminate the 38hz tone they added to the anc software for the exhaust drone. my .02$

salemsbest

Reaction score
Just wondering if you turn off MDS when there are more than two people in the truck. It works for me to stop the drone.
In my opinion I should not be required to turn off a mechanical component in my MRP 48,000 vehicle in order to drive in it as intended, as sold to me with the best noise cancellation system in its class. My truck has a defect and I want it fixed or replaced. Period.

DC98402

Reaction score
Agreed!!! But I’ve yet to hear from FCA regarding this issue. They’re working on it according to the dealer but...

Papa Newms

Reaction score
Is this a Bighorn problem or does someone here have this issue with a Laramie or other model?

nerdrock

Reaction score
From others who have reported this issue from my recollection, it seems to be mostly BigHorns with the 6 speaker audio system.

Anyways : Got my truck back from the dealership again. They'd called in a FCA technical rep to drive to our town to investigate. He flashed an update to the ANC and claims that it's fixed now. Service Coordinator at the dealership says "this bulletin is something even we don't have access to"... so , a simple "plug in USB and flash an update" fix for vehicles is something a dealership can't do? or the possibility exists my local service department is just a bunch of dumbies. We'll see if the noise persists.

Edit : the service bulletin the dealer allegedly "didn't have access to" was this one (08-140-18), conveniently linked in this wonderful, wonderful thread :

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/directory-of-service-bulletins-recalls-ram-1500.775/

https://www.dropbox.com/s/52s24zhwq...tive Noise Cancellation (ANC) Module.pdf?dl=0

DC98402

Reaction score
From others who have reported this issue from my recollection, it seems to be mostly BigHorns with the 6 speaker audio system.

Anyways : Got my truck back from the dealership again. They'd called in a FCA technical rep to drive to our town to investigate. He flashed an update to the ANC and claims that it's fixed now. Service Coordinator at the dealership says "this bulletin is something even we don't have access to"... so , a simple "plug in USB and flash an update" fix for vehicles is something a dealership can't do? or the possibility exists my local service department is just a bunch of dumbies. We'll see if the noise persists.

Edit : the service bulletin the dealer allegedly "didn't have access to" was this one (08-140-18), conveniently linked in this wonderful, wonderful thread :

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/directory-of-service-bulletins-recalls-ram-1500.775/

https://www.dropbox.com/s/52s24zhwqdab5iv/08-140-18 Flash, Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) Module.pdf?dl=0

DC98402

Reaction score
I have the tradesmen with the 6 speaker base system. There’s no fix as of yet from FCA other then what they did to my truck.

Klinger82

Reaction score
Ive reached my limit. Had the truck in 4 times now and they have put new amplifier in, reset the radio, disconnected the ANC microphones, and still no fix. I contacted lemon law. Cant even drive the truck with family in it due to the drone noise being so loud. Ill see what chrysler agrees to from here on out. FCA is saying that the amp might need software adjustment but they are not sure. Seems like Id have a better chance writing ideas on paper and tossing them in a hat to see what to try next. Best of luck.

DC98402

Reaction score
Ive reached my limit. Had the truck in 4 times now and they have put new amplifier in, reset the radio, disconnected the ANC microphones, and still no fix. I contacted lemon law. Cant even drive the truck with family in it due to the drone noise being so loud. Ill see what chrysler agrees to from here on out. FCA is saying that the amp might need software adjustment but they are not sure. Seems like Id have a better chance writing ideas on paper and tossing them in a hat to see what to try next. Best of luck.
Clipping the wire to one of the microphones worked until “they find a fix.” But of course now we have a 40k plus truck without a key selling feature. Please post what you find out on the lemon law side.

nerdrock

Reaction score

The lawyer I'm talking to brought up the "common practice we see from Chrysler" about how i've had my truck in over 6 times and yet only have 3 service records in my hand. Be sure to get records from every visit, if you can!

Dave1000cc

Reaction score
This forum has given me the hebee jebees, after Christmas I’m going to cancel my bighorn order and wait for the 2020’s
Are you in south Florida? Did you order from massey yardley?I think I might have bought the one you cancelled. Found paperwork for a Steve in it.lol

Dave1000cc

Reaction score
I've had this 19 big horn hemi for 3 weeks. Had it for 3 days and went to the dealer for this issue(and they took care of a scratch issue while it was there) for 10 days. The dealership couldn't replicate the sound of course. Have had it back for a week and have replicated the sound numerous times. I'm paying too much money to keep driving downgraded rentals. Ridiculous!!!

Klinger82

Reaction score
Dealership called me today and said chrysler supposedly has the fix. Didnt give me any idea what is causing it but said they want to fly a tech out next week and do whatever is needed. The fix wont be made available to most dealers for another 2-3 weeks but I am assuming that due to my persistence and displeasure that I am top priority at my dealership. Guess we will see if its the final piece to the saga or just a cliff hanger twist. Keep everyone updated.

sman301

Reaction score
I currently have this same drone issue. If a fix comes out please post. My dealer is so clueless

Klinger82

Reaction score
I want to hear about this fix
My dealer is going to try and get all the information from the tech they want to fly out to fix my truck. Dealer seems to think the amplifier needs reprogramming but he not sure if that is indeed the fix. Have to wait and see what they can find out. My gut is telling me that they want to try stuff due to lemon law claim.

TexasAggie

Reaction score
I am having a very similar issue with my new 2019 1500. It has that reverberation similar to the lightsaber sound and it seems loudest in the rear behind the driver's seat. It will come and go and my dealer has not a clue, but they have heard it and have it now. I had originally thought that something was touching the exhaust or transmission. The reverberation is strongest at about 1500 rpm's and it will stop as quickly as it starts. Extra people in the back seat seem to cause it to start. I have been reporting this since I got the truck in August but I finally got the noise to replicate at the dealer this last Saturday. This is extremely frustrating and exceedingly annoying. When it happens, it vibrates the floor of the cab and rear door panels.

Less than 2000 miles on mine and this exact issue ... I’m hesitant to take to dealer only that the service dept is incompetent... the rattle/hum is annoying AF

Users who are viewing this thread