5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12” Software update is out

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hold down the two outermost icons in your bottom row until the dealer menu appears. You can then see hw, fw, and sw version info.
I tried this tonight. I must be absolutely stupid. Which buttons in particular do I need to press and does it need to be in accessory or run mode or have engine running? Wish this was easier to figure out lol

TatoAlto27

Reaction score
Glad to hear it. Knock on wood, but mine’s always worked...and it’s a pretty sweet feature of the truck!
Same Im not sure how so many people are have this issue. Mine is working extremely well and super fast with no glitches or anything "knocking on wood"

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I tried this tonight. I must be absolutely stupid. Which buttons in particular do I need to press and does it need to be in accessory or run mode or have engine running? Wish this was easier to figure out lol

INSPECTION:
1. Verify the radio software version. Radio must be in Dealer Mode to verify by following these
steps:
a. Press and hold the both lower corners of the display screen, until the Dealer Mode screen
appears (approximately seven seconds). Release buttons, (Fig. 1) .
b. Select 9Radio Part Information9. The software version will be listed next to 9Application
Version9 (Fig. 2) .
2. Is the radio currently at software level **28.1** or higher?
• YES >>> The radio software is already up to date. Normal diagnostic should be performed.
• NO >>> The radio software needs to be updated. Back out of Dealer Mode and proceed
to Step 1 of the Repair Procedure

If you want the pictures, go to the tsb section and open one of the TSB’s related to the radio, and yes the radio / truck must be on and fully booted

Last edited:

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
INSPECTION:
1. Verify the radio software version. Radio must be in Dealer Mode to verify by following these
steps:
a. Press and hold the both lower corners of the display screen, until the Dealer Mode screen
appears (approximately seven seconds). Release buttons, (Fig. 1) .
b. Select 9Radio Part Information9. The software version will be listed next to 9Application
Version9 (Fig. 2) .
2. Is the radio currently at software level **28.1** or higher?
• YES >>> The radio software is already up to date. Normal diagnostic should be performed.
• NO >>> The radio software needs to be updated. Back out of Dealer Mode and proceed
to Step 1 of the Repair Procedure

If you want the pictures, go to the tsb section and open one of the TSB’s related to the radio, and yes the radio / truck must be on and fully booted

This was so helpful @edrclark! Thanks. Well, come to find out dealership never flashed that update yesterday. If anyone knows a good dealership with service in the St. Louis area please let me know. I imagine I'll get better service there than in the fields. I'll have to make it full day trip- Lol

Last edited:

dtreadwell

Reaction score
Can these updates be done by the owner or do we have to take the truck in and hope we don't have a terrible experience?

TMD78

Reaction score
At this point, I would say anyone without major issues should avoid going to the dealer for any updates. I went in with some of the typical issues posted many times previously, referenced the TSB for pre-January builds, and the newest software mentioned in earlier posts. Well, about 6 hours later I get a call saying they bricked my unit after working on it for hours on end and they had to order a new one. The tech says as soon as they input the request to update the software, FCA engineer called and mentioned some issues, I guess walking them through it. Long story short, I drove home with a screen frozen on "software updating, do not drive and keep in park" on the screen. I've owned 3 Ram trucks since 2014, every one has had issues directly related to uconnect's garbage software and HORRIBLE customer service. You would think I would learn, but no, I must love the punishment. 12" screen is essentially 4 more inches of pain. First world problems I know, but now begins an undoubtedly endless number of trips to the dealership to get to a point that is somewhat less annoying but NEVER fixed. I would bet a million bucks on that.

TMD78

Reaction score
My Truck is completely dead now this morning. I’m thinking maybe something was still running in the background while shut off but not sure, no lights on the dash at all, had to use the physical key to open it, not a good day. Waiting for the dealership to call back, I don’t want to try to jump it not knowing what the issue is.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Truck is completely dead now this morning. I’m thinking maybe something was still running in the background while shut off but not sure, no lights on the dash at all, had to use the physical key to open it, not a good day. Waiting for the dealership to call back, I don’t want to try to jump it not knowing what the issue is.
Hate to hear that. Let us know what they found to be the problem.

trixdesigns

Reaction score
I know I'm not helping us stay on topic here, but there's some validity in the idea of having us connect our trucks to WiFi at home and perhaps enabling some secure connection for FCA to push OTA updates more efficiently.

In a rental 2019 Subaru Outback while visiting the in-laws and noticed it said Wi-Fi in the settings. Looked into it and it’s exactly this. I connected it to the in-laws wireless and checked for updates. It happened to be up-to-date already, but this would be a nice feature in the truck. Home is currently switching from one Gig provider to another since the current one is limiting upload speeds to 40Mbps. So here’s another with Gig at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don’t know why they don’t offer an ability to check for update. Every manufacturer I’ve driven has that ability as well as being able to join an external WiFi network. RAM has some work to do to bring their trucks up to the times

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I don’t know why they don’t offer an ability to check for update. Every manufacturer I’ve driven has that ability as well as being able to join an external WiFi network. RAM has some work to do to bring their trucks up to the times
Yep. Pretty lame that you can only do it online and not from within the truck.

TMD78

Reaction score
Well, the silver lining to my software update woes is that I have a new Jeep Wrangler Sahara as a loaner. I really loved the new wrangler but needed a truck to tow my camper. So, while it stinks they bricked my unit and now have my truck (towed it there after the failed software update killed the battery) at least I'm in a decent loaner. Wife and I pulled the top off the wrangler and I have 100 miles on it already. The uconnet in the jeep, just as buggy as any other FCA vehicle, failed to recognize my iPhone for CarPlay a couple times after a short stop somewhere. If I could just accept that uconnect is a nice to have feature and will always be flawed, I would save myself a ton of stress, but for the $ you pay for these vehicles, Uconnect could hire ONE FREAKING SOFTWARE developer who could probably fix 99% of the issues in one week's time. They just don't care.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Well, the silver lining to my software update woes is that I have a new Jeep Wrangler Sahara as a loaner. I really loved the new wrangler but needed a truck to tow my camper. So, while it stinks they bricked my unit and now have my truck (towed it there after the failed software update killed the battery) at least I'm in a decent loaner. Wife and I pulled the top off the wrangler and I have 100 miles on it already. The uconnet in the jeep, just as buggy as any other FCA vehicle, failed to recognize my iPhone for CarPlay a couple times after a short stop somewhere. If I could just accept that uconnect is a nice to have feature and will always be flawed, I would save myself a ton of stress, but for the $ you pay for these vehicles, Uconnect could hire ONE FREAKING SOFTWARE developer who could probably fix 99% of the issues in one week's time. They just don't care.
Well said. While getting mine done week before last, they gave me a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, and guess what... CarPlay also worked on and off. Unfriggin-real...

hemiguy37

Reaction score
Had my updates last Wednesday, now every time I back up and shift back to park the screen goes out. I have to turn the radio off and on to get the screen to work. Also now my nav isn't working. It won't find the GPS signals. Ugh..... not sure if they are related but too coincidental.

dtreadwell

Reaction score
What I'm reading here is, treat the truck like an Android phone. Don't update it until you have to and then start shopping for a new one.

mrmachaveli

Reaction score
Anyone do the update and having issues with Android Auto not working?

TMD78

Reaction score
Still waiting on a new unit, eta is currently 7/15, can’t believe a simple request to check for a software update led to potential two weeks without my truck.

Aries Ram

AriesRam
Reaction score
How long to the update take? My dealership just call and told me it will take about 5 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread