5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

“2020” Price Negotiated From MSRP

jcwarren217

Reaction score
If employee pricing is 3-5% under invoice how would you use 1% under invoice pricing?

I was thinking that the Affiliate program would offer some sort of benefit over the average person walking into the dealership without the program.

Last month when I had the truck priced the dealer said the Costco (Invoice minus rebate) and the Affiliate (Invoice minus 1%) could be stacked (assuming an invoice of $60,000, they offered another $600 off for Affiliate on top of the Costco rebate that was already taken off of invoice).

I would assume that the Ram incentives were being offered at the corporate level and not at the dealer level, leaving additional room for dealer incentives / negotiation.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
I was thinking that the Affiliate program would offer some sort of benefit over the average person walking into the dealership without the program.

Last month when I had the truck priced the dealer said the Costco (Invoice minus rebate) and the Affiliate (Invoice minus 1%) could be stacked (assuming an invoice of $60,000, they offered another $600 off for Affiliate on top of the Costco rebate that was already taken off of invoice).

I would assume that the Ram incentives were being offered at the corporate level and not at the dealer level, leaving additional room for dealer incentives / negotiation.
Maybe ask the ram care people? I was told I should wait till 11/26 to buy a 2020. No idea on what you're asking tho.

Snicklefritz_76

Reaction score

I was wondering the same thing actually - I also have a 1% Affiliate discount and was going to wait until the end of the month to try and stack it with the Employee discount rumored to be offered for the 2020 models.

I ended up ordering through Craig Benner (Koons of Tyson's Corner) who quoted on a 2020 with a 8% discount off invoice plus any incentives that are applicable at time of delivery. I plan on bringing my Affiliate discount for an additional 1% off.

You should call the FCA incentives hotline (800-227-0757) and ask if stacking those rebates is allowed. When I asked the FCA incentives rep about the 'end of month' Employee discount on the 2020 models, she told me she had no knowledge it. You can ask if can be applied with the current 2019 Employee discount incentive, if so then I would assume it can also be applied when the 2020 models receive the Employee discount offer.

Personally, I got tired of trying to chase down the perfect truck and the ultimate deal so I ordered exactly what I wanted and I'm happy with the price Craig quoted me on. If the rebates on the 2020s are are as big as we think they will be - those trucks will be flying out of the door. Good luck with your purchase.

Cravenfan

Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing actually - I also have a 1% Affiliate discount and was going to wait until the end of the month to try and stack it with the Employee discount rumored to be offered for the 2020 models.

I ended up ordering through Craig Benner (Koons of Tyson's Corner) who quoted on a 2020 with a 8% discount off invoice plus any incentives that are applicable at time of delivery. I plan on bringing my Affiliate discount for an additional 1% off.

You should call the FCA incentives hotline (800-227-0757) and ask if stacking those rebates is allowed. When I asked the FCA incentives rep about the 'end of month' Employee discount on the 2020 models, she told me she had no knowledge it. You can ask if can be applied with the current 2019 Employee discount incentive, if so then I would assume it can also be applied when the 2020 models receive the Employee discount offer.

Personally, I got tired of trying to chase down the perfect truck and the ultimate deal so I ordered exactly what I wanted and I'm happy with the price Craig quoted me on. If the rebates on the 2020s are are as big as we think they will be - those trucks will be flying out of the door. Good luck with your purchase.

Push for high teen's for a discount off invoice...I'll comment more on this later, once mine is buttoned up. I found the friends and family 1% under invoice didn't do anything for me, in fact, I would have lost money going that way vs. the dealer incentives.

Snicklefritz_76

Reaction score
Push for high teen's for a discount off invoice...I'll comment more on this later, once mine is buttoned up. I found the friends and family 1% under invoice didn't do anything for me, in fact, I would have lost money going that way vs. the dealer incentives.

I think Craig is pretty firm at 8% off invoice. Can you refer us to a dealer that would go that high on a custom order? I just checked my quote, if I upped the invoice discount to 17%, that would bring total cost 24% off MSRP which I have yet to see on a fully loaded 2020 model.

Cravenfan

Reaction score
I think Craig is pretty firm at 8% off invoice. Can you refer us to a dealer that would go that high on a custom order? I just checked my quote, if I upped the invoice discount to 17%, that would bring total cost 24% off MSRP which I have yet to see on a fully loaded 2020 model.

I was quoted the same discount for a swap option, or an on the lot item.

Sorry, a custom build they can't quote you the full incentives, I may have misinterpreted what your question was. Incentives at time of order, may not be incentives at time of delivery, which is only when the dealer knows what they can take off MSRP. 8% for custom order is probably a "low guess" and I'd assume you'd end up in the low to mid-teens at minimum, but hard to tell. 17% total off MSRP...not 8% plus whatever = 24%. Highest I've been told about is 21% off MSRP on a 2020.

Snicklefritz_76

Reaction score
I was quoted the same discount for a swap option, or an on the lot item.

Sorry, a custom build they can't quote you the full incentives, I may have misinterpreted what your question was. Incentives at time of order, may not be incentives at time of delivery, which is only when the dealer knows what they can take off MSRP. 8% for custom order is probably a "low guess" and I'd assume you'd end up in the low to mid-teens at minimum, but hard to tell. 17% total off MSRP...not 8% plus whatever = 24%. Highest I've been told about is 21% off MSRP on a 2020.

You're confusing MSRP and invoice, they total up differently and invoice will be lower on the build sheet. The discount I was quoted was off invoice (approx 11k from the MSRP total), the final price will be that discount plus whatever incentives I can apply at time of delivery, then add in tax/tags/processing. So I can't really say what % I'm getting off MSRP until I take ownership of the vehicle. I'm happy with the deal I'm getting. It would have been great to find a truck that checked all my boxes but I've been searching for a while now and haven't been able to find the right fit. I'm also at the point where if I don't buy a pickup I'm going to need to start borrowing or renting one, so it's time.

Last edited:

Cravenfan

Reaction score
You're confusing MSRP and invoice, they total up differently and invoice will be lower on the build sheet. The discount I was quoted was off invoice (approx 11k from the MSRP total), the final price will be that discount plus whatever incentives I can apply at time of delivery, then add in tax/tags/processing. So I can't really say what % I'm getting off MSRP until I take ownership of the vehicle. I'm happy with the deal I'm getting. It would have been great to find a truck that checked all my boxes but I've been searching for a while now and haven't been able to find the right fit. I'm also at the point where if I don't buy a pickup I'm going to need to start borrowing or renting one, so it's time.

Sorry, yes, I’ve been in MSRP mode this week. Mine is going to be around 9-10% off invoice, it was 11.14%, as I need to refigure. I did forgo a $500 rebate for a 3.75% interest rate on 60 months, which saved me another $1200 overall.

Last edited:

Snicklefritz_76

Reaction score
Sorry, yes, I’ve been in MSRP mode this week. Mine is going to be around 9-10% off invoice, it was 11.14%, as I need to refigure. I did forgo a $500 rebate for 3.75% interred this rate, which saved me another $1200 overall.

Nice! That is a pretty sweet deal. Good luck with the truck.

Cravenfan

Reaction score
Ok, so the baby is home...now to try and provide some insight that you may be able to use in one way or another. This may be a long read...

My situation was one where I didn't have as much leverage as a 2020 that has been on the lot for a couple months, or a 2019 that may have been there for almost a year. I was looking for a Black Out, loaded 2020 Limited 1500. There were only 3 of these the the options I wanted within 500 miles and not many overall around. After a bit of a cluster, working with 3 dealers (2 of which are within the same company) I lucked out and happened to be in the dealership I wanted to be with, when my truck popped up on their system. It had come off their truck 3 days earlier and was in the recon shop, being setup! I was the first one to see it and I immediately, said, "I'll take it."

However, that was not without getting 4 quotes on various black out models, visiting, talking and texting to the dealers for about two weeks, so I knew where I needed to be with price and had received the same amount of quotes on my trade in, a 2015 GMC Denali 5.3L. My advice is read as many posts as you can and know where your numbers need to be, before you get infatuated with your right truck. In my case, I knew I had to move at light speed, but had done the diligence already, but when I'm ready to go, it's at light speed.

So...I ended up with, depending on how you want to look at it, -17.49% off MSRP and -9.62% off invoice. Or, factoring in I lost a $500 incentive on what I thought was a, "stackable" incentive from work, but they treated me well and put it back into my trade, after we had already settled on that price. Then, I lost another $500 incentive to get the 3.75% interest rate over 60 months, but cut a net $1,200 out of my 5 year payments. So, if you back those back in, which effectively is still the bottom line, I received -20.55% off MSRP and -12.97% off invoice. One could effectively say, somewhere in the -17% to -20% off MSRP range is where you should easily be, on a 2020 truck that is eating up capital on their lot.

And, I may have the only 2020 ALL BLACK DODGE RAM in the State of Maine at this point! This was me on Saturday morning;

Hope you folks all are ready to negotiate, remember, be prepared! Don't offer up a, "well, we'd like to be around a $550 payment, etc." or they will instantly know where they need to be and they've got ya. My advice;
  • Realize that whatever "Blue Book" value you get online for your trade, cut that down by about 80%, especially if the store you are dealing with, doesn't sell your brand trade in. Most of these will be wholesaled off and then they make up the margin and kick some back to the dealers, etc. Know going in where you need to be.
  • Realize that the thousands of dollars of on accessories you put on it, if not OEM, won't count. You won't get pinged against it, but it won't necessarily help you either. Even OEM items may not be a benefit.
  • Know what you really are willing to settle for your trade. If you are 1-2 years into your payments, you are going to be upside down. If you are nearing your payoff date, or already paid off, you have some equity to play with.
  • Read, read, read these posts...know what you might be able to work with. If you are looking for a Honda, read those posts. If the highest they are getting off invoice is -15% from hundreds of responses, don't expect to get -17%.
  • The dealer will always see if you don't know your range of % off MSRP, or invoice, they will always start low and hope to hook you in, as it is all profit from there. My grandfather used to pay sticker price, with cash, back in the day. He always bought that way, he just didn't know that the price, is never the price, even if they say, "we have a no-haggle pricing policy."
  • When the Sales Manager comes down from the "high tower desk," be ready to get squeezed. The salesperson is there to be the reassuring figure...whispering in your ear how good you luck in that truck, or car. The Sales Manager is there to try and "lose" the least amount of money on the transaction as possible. Don't ever think they are losing, holdbacks, incentives to the dealer, future service, they will keep the lights on.
  • Ask them to either throw in some basic accessories, or get them all at cost, or a combo. I put nearly $2,000 worth of items on my new 2020 truck. Mopar has a buy 3, get the 4th tire for $1 promo going on right now, they cut me a break on the installation. Mopar also has multiple coupons ranging from 10% to 15% off for various accessories, etc. In my case, besides the tires, I got everything at cost and are holding them to a couple items they didn't have yet. (Mopar rubber bed mat, if black lugs and side door moldings ever come out and they are a Retrax Pro dealer.)
  • Get a written quote! Then take that and do your math. There are plenty of, "auto payment calculators" on the web. Is your credit rock solid, or bad? Are you going to be under 4% interest, or above 5%? It can take its toll on your monthly payments and how much interest over the life of the loan.
  • If you buy, get a bank or credit union to lower your rate, many will. It is easy to go through Chrysler Capital, then figure it out later.
  • Have a checklist ready and a spreadsheet on where you should be. Once you sit down the finance person, their job is to try and overwhelm you with numbers and when the truck is sitting outside the window, it's like a dog looking at someone eating a hamburger. Your focus on the financials wavers. Have them slow down, double check, explain, etc.
  • Don't ever buy the warranty program from the dealer, unless again, you've done your homework and have a quoted price for Maximum Care, etc. You don't have to agree that day, in some cases you have months and thousands of miles before you have to commit. If they don't match, take their info, walk away and come back to the table with them, or simply buy online. A Mopar warranty is tied to the vehicle, regardless of where purchased. Same with Honda, etc.
  • Check things off your list...review your vehicle, make sure you leave with what you expect, as once you are gone...you gone. They will help you, but they recorded the sale on the board and are moving on.
I'll probably think of something else, but hope this helps. You need to be in control of the conversation, as this is a HUGE expense. Vehicles are not an investment...simply an expense, a depreciating asset. I'm happy my depreciating asset is an ALL BLACK DODGE RAM!

Happy negotiating!

258A5764-5140-47D7-A96F-5A6711F16212.jpeg

Last edited:

Arawji

Reaction score
So picked up my limited black appearance package about a month ago. Love it! I’m in BC Canada but I paid in Canadian dollars $75,300. Based on general conversation rates right now that’s about $56k USD. Hope that helps anyone with pricing. Awesome truck BTW. 4D70C30D-BFAA-4913-8AC6-74D9A9F339D2.jpeg

Cravenfan

Reaction score
So picked up my limited black appearance package about a month ago. Love it! I’m in BC Canada but I paid in Canadian dollars $75,300. Based on general conversation rates right now that’s about $56k USD. Hope that helps anyone with pricing. Awesome truck BTW. View attachment 40379

Dude, we are in the ALL BLACK DODGE RAM Secret Society together! :cool:

Cravenfan

Reaction score
Employee Pricing on 2020's will happen after 11/26...that's when I need to wait on mine...grrr.

Guess I was right...then not sure, then right again...then bought anyway and got a great deal. I think these incentives will just keep rolling, but you have to go in expecting more than that, based on doing your homework...

MarkM

Reaction score
Ok, so the baby is home...now to try and provide some insight that you may be able to use in one way or another. This may be a long read...

My situation was one where I didn't have as much leverage as a 2020 that has been on the lot for a couple months, or a 2019 that may have been there for almost a year. I was looking for a Black Out, loaded 2020 Limited 1500. There were only 3 of these the the options I wanted within 500 miles and not many overall around. After a bit of a cluster, working with 3 dealers (2 of which are within the same company) I lucked out and happened to be in the dealership I wanted to be with, when my truck popped up on their system. It had come off their truck 3 days earlier and was in the recon shop, being setup! I was the first one to see it and I immediately, said, "I'll take it."

However, that was not without getting 4 quotes on various black out models, visiting, talking and texting to the dealers for about two weeks, so I knew where I needed to be with price and had received the same amount of quotes on my trade in, a 2015 GMC Denali 5.3L. My advice is read as many posts as you can and know where your numbers need to be, before you get infatuated with your right truck. In my case, I knew I had to move at light speed, but had done the diligence already, but when I'm ready to go, it's at light speed.

So...I ended up with, depending on how you want to look at it, -17.49% off MSRP and -9.62% off invoice. Or, factoring in I lost a $500 incentive on what I thought was a, "stackable" incentive from work, but they treated me well and put it back into my trade, after we had already settled on that price. Then, I lost another $500 incentive to get the 3.75% interest rate over 60 months, but cut a net $1,200 out of my 5 year payments. So, if you back those back in, which effectively is still the bottom line, I received -20.55% off MSRP and -12.97% off invoice. One could effectively say, somewhere in the -17% to -20% off MSRP range is where you should easily be, on a 2020 truck that is eating up capital on their lot.

And, I may have the only 2020 ALL BLACK DODGE RAM in the State of Maine at this point! This was me on Saturday morning;

Hope you folks all are ready to negotiate, remember, be prepared! Don't offer up a, "well, we'd like to be around a $550 payment, etc." or they will instantly know where they need to be and they've got ya. My advice;
  • Realize that whatever "Blue Book" value you get online for your trade, cut that down by about 80%, especially if the store you are dealing with, doesn't sell your brand trade in. Most of these will be wholesaled off and then they make up the margin and kick some back to the dealers, etc. Know going in where you need to be.
  • Realize that the thousands of dollars of on accessories you put on it, if not OEM, won't count. You won't get pinged against it, but it won't necessarily help you either. Even OEM items may not be a benefit.
  • Know what you really are willing to settle for your trade. If you are 1-2 years into your payments, you are going to be upside down. If you are nearing your payoff date, or already paid off, you have some equity to play with.
  • Read, read, read these posts...know what you might be able to work with. If you are looking for a Honda, read those posts. If the highest they are getting off invoice is -15% from hundreds of responses, don't expect to get -17%.
  • The dealer will always see if you don't know your range of % off MSRP, or invoice, they will always start low and hope to hook you in, as it is all profit from there. My grandfather used to pay sticker price, with cash, back in the day. He always bought that way, he just didn't know that the price, is never the price, even if they say, "we have a no-haggle pricing policy."
  • When the Sales Manager comes down from the "high tower desk," be ready to get squeezed. The salesperson is there to be the reassuring figure...whispering in your ear how good you luck in that truck, or car. The Sales Manager is there to try and "lose" the least amount of money on the transaction as possible. Don't ever think they are losing, holdbacks, incentives to the dealer, future service, they will keep the lights on.
  • Ask them to either throw in some basic accessories, or get them all at cost, or a combo. I put nearly $2,000 worth of items on my new 2020 truck. Mopar has a buy 3, get the 4th tire for $1 promo going on right now, they cut me a break on the installation. Mopar also has multiple coupons ranging from 10% to 15% off for various accessories, etc. In my case, besides the tires, I got everything at cost and are holding them to a couple items they didn't have yet. (Mopar rubber bed mat, if black lugs and side door moldings ever come out and they are a Retrax Pro dealer.)
  • Get a written quote! Then take that and do your math. There are plenty of, "auto payment calculators" on the web. Is your credit rock solid, or bad? Are you going to be under 4% interest, or above 5%? It can take its toll on your monthly payments and how much interest over the life of the loan.
  • If you buy, get a bank or credit union to lower your rate, many will. It is easy to go through Chrysler Capital, then figure it out later.
  • Have a checklist ready and a spreadsheet on where you should be. Once you sit down the finance person, their job is to try and overwhelm you with numbers and when the truck is sitting outside the window, it's like a dog looking at someone eating a hamburger. Your focus on the financials wavers. Have them slow down, double check, explain, etc.
  • Don't ever buy the warranty program from the dealer, unless again, you've done your homework and have a quoted price for Maximum Care, etc. You don't have to agree that day, in some cases you have months and thousands of miles before you have to commit. If they don't match, take their info, walk away and come back to the table with them, or simply buy online. A Mopar warranty is tied to the vehicle, regardless of where purchased. Same with Honda, etc.
  • Check things off your list...review your vehicle, make sure you leave with what you expect, as once you are gone...you gone. They will help you, but they recorded the sale on the board and are moving on.
I'll probably think of something else, but hope this helps. You need to be in control of the conversation, as this is a HUGE expense. Vehicles are not an investment...simply an expense, a depreciating asset. I'm happy my depreciating asset is an ALL BLACK DODGE RAM!

Happy negotiating!

View attachment 40380
Very good post. Enjoy the truck. I’m at 15% below MSRP on similar truck. Just started with them.

M

Snicklefritz_76

Reaction score
Very good post. Enjoy the truck. I’m at 15% below MSRP on similar truck. Just started with them.

M

That's pretty good spot to be at. I seen prices jump up a bit since the weekend. I have a custom order in but I still like looking :)

Stew81

Reaction score
I bought my 2020 Laramie two weeks ago. Not sure if this is a great deal or not but here are the numbers if it helps anyone. Not sure how everyone is calculation the % off MSRP so I won't include that.
MSRP $52,255
Negotiated price $40,000
Trade in 2015 F-150 $17,000
Owed $5175
Financed amount $31,000 (includes TTL, documents, etc) No additional warranties.

Attachments

• truck 1.jpg
    truck 1.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 45
  • sticker 1 (2)_LI.jpg
    sticker 1 (2)_LI.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 45

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
I bought my 2020 Laramie two weeks ago. Not sure if this is a great deal or not but here are the numbers if it helps anyone. Not sure how everyone is calculation the % off MSRP so I won't include that.
MSRP $52,255
Negotiated price $40,000
Trade in 2015 F-150 $17,000
Owed $5175
Financed amount $31,000 (includes TTL, documents, etc) No additional warranties.
Looks good to me. At these discounts you can expect to see less on paper for your trade. The dealer will still put an ACV number on the trade, but you don't get to see an inflated number since the discounts are taken off prior to the trade.

Pepper

Reaction score
2020 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi - Limited - Black/Black - Ram Box - Multi Function Tailgate - Dual Panel Sunroof - 33 gallon fuel tank - 22" wheels - Ltd Level 1 Group - BUG

MSRP: $70,465
Paid: $54,498
Trade: 2018 F-150 Black Widow
Added after sale price: Retrax Pro MX Tonneau Cover ($1600), Floor Mats ($250).

Here is a link to the dealer with some more deals if anyone is looking or interested. Obviously they have a great deal more but just a quick post.
Full disclosure, No affiliation, don't work for them, I am not in the car business, I was not in any way asked or paid to endorse or mention. I own an oil and gas drilling and consulting company.

Black - https://www.rockwalldodge.com/inven...d-four-wheel-drive-crew-cab-1c6srfht2ln145491
White - https://www.rockwalldodge.com/inven...d-four-wheel-drive-crew-cab-1c6srfht1ln190924

Last edited:

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
MSRP: $70,465
Paid: $54,498
Trade: 2018 F-150 Black Widow
Added after sale price: Retrax Pro MX Tonneau Cover ($1600), Floor Mats ($250).

Here is a link to the dealer with some more deals if anyone is looking or interested. Obviously they have a great deal more but just a quick post.
Full disclosure, No affiliation, don't work for them, I am not in the car business, I was not in any way asked or paid to endorse or mention. I own an oil and gas drilling and consulting company.

Black - https://www.rockwalldodge.com/inven...d-four-wheel-drive-crew-cab-1c6srfht2ln145491
White - https://www.rockwalldodge.com/inven...d-four-wheel-drive-crew-cab-1c6srfht1ln190924
Holy crap... I should have bought in TX and shipped it to NY.

Cravenfan

Reaction score
Holy crap... I should have bought in TX and shipped it to NY.

23% off MSRP on a 2020? Hmmm...This is 2019 model year pricing...not to dispute it, but it would be the far and away deepest discount seen on this forum on a 2020, congratulations.

Users who are viewing this thread