5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would you buy it again?

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No, HELL no I wouldn't buy again. I have purchased TWO new '19 Rams and both have the issue with selecting drive, and then once gas is given, it slams into gear. The first one they wanted to replace the transmission, and luckily my dealer hooked me up on ordering a new one. Low and behold, with only 400 miles and 2 weeks later, my current one is doing it as well. I assume FCA will advise to put a new transmission in this one as well. Probably the same part #, so not really a fix in my opinion since many other forum members are having this same issue.

That coupled with two clear coat paint runs that look like dents, sunroof rattles, interior rattles, interior defects (dash), drain plugs not installed, and rattle in undercarriage when going over bumps, it appears I now have back to back pieces of crap. My advice is to run, run very fast the other way. The fact that Sterling Heights is letting these trucks leave the plant with quality issues a 5 year old could see/hear, is astonishing. I am a reasonable man, and while frustrated am keeping an open mind. However, I have recently been venturing out to other dealers to inspect build quality on other '19's and sure enough, I am amazed at how many trucks are sitting on dealer lots with similar defects. The Ram is a beautiful truck with the best interior of any 1/2 ton. But, IMHO, these trucks are pretty to look at but STILL have crap quality. Everyone told me to run the other way when I purchased my first Ram, and I paid the price for not listening. My advice to you is wait until Fiat sells this company to hopefully a more reputable company that actually cares about quality. Run...…...
That's about as unlucky as you can get... two trucks with the same, very rare, problem. I don't blame you for having a sour taste and soreness towards FCA after that debacle. You'd think they'd be more aware during the second build. Wow.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
I would, but would probably have saved some cash and gotten a Laramie vs Laramie Longhorn, which i got.

I like it and all, interior is beautiful and well crafted...and i was able to get the headlights i wanted due to Longhorn, but in the end, i would be just as fine with a Laramie.

Drewsky510

Reaction score
One other thing to consider when coming to a forum like this, Ram sold 60k trucks in December alone, and 536k trucks total in 2018, and the people on here are enthusiasts or someone looking for a fix on an issue they are having, or possibly both. My truck has not been without issues but they have been extremely minor. A percentage of trucks do have larger issues, albeit i believe this is quite small.

All manufacturers have issues, even the truck considered to be the most reliable (Tundra)has issues (just search Tundra at consumer affairs.org, 1.9 rating over 163 votes or look on any Tundra forum).

Paulny

Reaction score
That's about as unlucky as you can get... two trucks with the same, very rare, problem. I don't blame you for having a sour taste and soreness towards FCA after that debacle. You'd think they'd be more aware during the second build. Wow.

Crazy right? I was really excited about my second truck, especially since I ordered it and it being a Rebel 12. Safe to say, I had huge expectations and you can only imagine the empty pit feeling the first time my truck slammed into drive this past weekend. I felt like Bruce Willis in Die Hard 2, "how can the same shi* happen to the same guy twice"?. That, in combination with the other defects I have is very concerning and yes I have a very sour taste. My paint defects are so obvious that I can't believe someone on the assembly line said yes, that's ok...pass! Of course my sunroof drains were out when I took delivery, so who knows how much moisture got in and how much mildew to ensue. Now, my sunroof rattles, I have interior dash marks/defects, rattle somewhere on the undercarriage, and lord knows what's next. The truck has an amazing interior/exterior and is really a technological marvel. There is a lot to like about this truck if everything worked as advertised. However, the fact that I am experiencing very similar/alike defects from two trucks built 3 months apart is unfortunate and frustrating. Can we confirm the Sterling Heights plant actually has a quality control dept.?? My money is on no.

Reaction score
Absolutely! Ex-2017 GMC Denali piece of garbage owner. This truck is sooooo much nicer in every way. Good by, so long to GM. The only thing I liked about the Denali was the 6.2 engine. But, the transmission was junk, truck vibrated horribly, cheap interior feel, etc. Ram is butter smooth, dives nicer than any car I have owned, great fit and finish, unbeatable interior. Jut a blast to drive!

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Crazy right? I was really excited about my second truck, especially since I ordered it and it being a Rebel 12. Safe to say, I had huge expectations and you can only imagine the empty pit feeling the first time my truck slammed into drive this past weekend. I felt like Bruce Willis in Die Hard 2, "how can the same shi* happen to the same guy twice"?. That, in combination with the other defects I have is very concerning and yes I have a very sour taste. My paint defects are so obvious that I can't believe someone on the assembly line said yes, that's ok...pass! Of course my sunroof drains were out when I took delivery, so who knows how much moisture got in and how much mildew to ensue. Now, my sunroof rattles, I have interior dash marks/defects, rattle somewhere on the undercarriage, and lord knows what's next. The truck has an amazing interior/exterior and is really a technological marvel. There is a lot to like about this truck if everything worked as advertised. However, the fact that I am experiencing very similar/alike defects from two trucks built 3 months apart is unfortunate and frustrating. Can we confirm the Sterling Heights plant actually has a quality control dept.?? My money is on no.
That's heartbreaking. I feel for you. Every day with my 16' Rebel was a nightmare and I grew to hate that truck, I would find something new every day to fixate on, probably to divert my rage from the bigger problems.

But it's gone, I've moved on and I hope for you, there is a similarly satisfying resolution to your problem.

A Rebel 12 is a nice enough truck, but with that laundry list of issues for a second truck, completely reasonable to be demanding perfection.

Ramlax

Reaction score
In a heartbeat , pull that trigger buddy

MTRHEAD

Reaction score
I have no regrets on buying my Limited. It is a awesome truck. I ordered it just like i wanted it so i would have no buyers remorse.

Paulny

Reaction score
That's heartbreaking. I feel for you. Every day with my 16' Rebel was a nightmare and I grew to hate that truck, I would find something new every day to fixate on, probably to divert my rage from the bigger problems.

But it's gone, I've moved on and I hope for you, there is a similarly satisfying resolution to your problem.

A Rebel 12 is a nice enough truck, but with that laundry list of issues for a second truck, completely reasonable to be demanding perfection.

Thanks for saying that, and am glad you were able to move on from your nightmare experience as well.

I don't know what FCA will say, but again I can only assume it will be similar to my first truck which is "we don't know what the problem is. Replace tranny". The fact that both my dealer and FCA basically tore my first truck apart in 3 weeks and couldn't find the culprit is alarming considering others are having the same issue, including myself again. Therefore, if/when they offer the new tranny, I will not be happy because it will presumably be the same part# and who knows when the problem will rear it's ugly head again. With many of us having this issue and it's been on the table for FCA to investigate for months, it amazes me they don't have a fix yet much less an identified part for the problem. That coupled with all of the other defects I am having (again) is very troubling as I really do feel like Sterling Heights has the worst quality control dept. known to man.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yep. It's pretty sweet. I don't know of any trucks currently on the road or coming in the near future that I would choose over this one. That said, I will be admit to being envious of the first buyer of a TRX or Hellcat-powered street Ram in the next couple of years.

Zebber

Reaction score
My 19 Rebel is my 4th new Dodge/Ram truck since 1998 and I never had any problems with any of them, several recalls but never any problems that left me without a truck to drive. The 2006 Bighorn was my least favorite truck and that was because of the cheap plastic interior. My favorite was probably my 98 SST. That truck was awesome, only wish it could have had the Hemi instead of the 360. I have owned several GMC's and Chevy trucks and they all have had problems, I bought a new GMC Sierra in 94 and had the engine replaced 3 times because of a cold start knock the 3rd engine still had the knock so I traded it in on the SST and have never had anything but Dodge/Ram since. I have never owned a new Ford truck and never will own one. Sorry but I am totally anti -Ford,, long story.

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Bought in May, almost 10k miles, not a vehicle on the horizon that I’d pick over this. I’m by no means brand loyal, but I’m partial to bigger vehicles. This truck has turned into our preferred road trip vehicle, it is just unbelievably comfortable and the adaptive cruise is the best. Only suggestion would be to go big (if your the type of owner that goes “wish I would have gotten that”). I had always gone near the top trim and about 80% of the options I wanted. With this Limited, I got everything I wanted and feel complete! Of course there are wiser buyers here that are completely happy with a truck that just simply gets the job done, like a big horn or something. But if you like the bells and whistles, definitely splurge!

Mich thor

Reaction score
Would buy it again for sure! I should have gotten a lifted rebel so the wife wouldn't steal it so much.

kbUSMC2012

Reaction score
Absolutely. The reliability concerns are just a lingering reputation from years past. I see tons of Rams on the road from a variety of model years. If they were that bad, people wouldn’t keep buying them. Additionally, that’s what warranties are for. If something does happen, it’s covered. If in 3 years you feel like you got a dud, you should have enough equity on your loan to get out of it before hitting the warranty expiration. That being said, it’s been mentioned before. All car companies (even Honda and a Toyota) produce a few duds from the factory, and it’s always the one guy who got a dud that’s on all the review sites and forums screaming about how vehicle A or manufacturer B is so terrible and makes junk cars and never buy from them!!! In reality, reliability concerns are largely based on other people’s experiences. If your friends and family drive Rams and are happy with them, they’re gonna tell you Rams are the most reliable truck, hands down. If they all drive Fords? They’re all gonna says Ford. And so on and so forth.

Bottom line, I looked into all of this considerably before pulling the trigger, and was surprised and happy with what I found as far as the reliability piece goes. So much so, I traded in a Tacoma (longest lasting pickup truck on the road, highest resale value of any vehicle on the market) to get in my Ram. And I’d do it again. This truck is refined and a pure gem to drive. Blows my Tacoma out of the water from the second I open my door to walk to my truck, until I hit lock on my key fob, this truck is clearly and easily the best on the road today.

Richard Rex

Reaction score
Absolutely,

I purchased a 2018 f-150 brand new and I thought I was happy. The 3.5 eco boost is a very powerful engine. That being said, I settled on a truck that i was talked into by the salesman and settled for some options I did or din not want. At the end of the day I was just not happy with it.

I stumbled into a Ram dealer and happened to sit in a 2019 Laramie and loved it. This time I extensively price shopped and built the truck on rams website hundreds of times. Literally. I knew every single feature and option I wanted down to the rubber floor mats and 33 gallon gas tank and I did not settle for less. IT IS A LOT OF MONEY! I would recommend doing extensive research and make sure you go over every option and feature and don’t settle especially if you plan on keeping the truck for a while.

Others will always tell you one truck is better than the other etc etc... I am not brand loyal and I fully believe that the 2019 Ram is the best 1/2 ton truck you can buy right now.

19Jake

Reaction score
Refined...a pure gem to drive...clearly the best on the road.
'19 Ram's the best 1/2 ton truck you can buy.
You guys are on the money. (y)
Drivetrain smooth as silk, no squeaks/rattles, perfect body gaps/paint finish, incredible interior...sharp lookin' truck, a pleasure to drive. HK/12" is spectacular! :)
IMG_2611.JPG IMG_2591.JPG

Last edited:

DeanKing

Reaction score
Absolutely. I have owned four Ford trucks and the Ram was supposed to be the fifth. But I drove the Ram and was hooked. After my fiasco with my 90s Grand Cherokee I swore off Chryslers. That lasted 15 years. We are now very happy owners of a Wrangler, Challenger, and a Ram. All made in the FCA era. All trouble free quality vehicles. Maybe we are just lucky. I found them all to be very unique in their class. My everyday transportation is a Subaru but my toys are all FCA. I agree with @MrHankbot The payload on these loaded trucks is crap so if the upcoming 2500 is as refined I would seriously consider that instead.

RenoRam

Reaction score
4th Ram and just over 2 months with this one and wouldn't change a thing. Best looking exterior and nicest interior of any 1/2 ton out there.

Users who are viewing this thread