5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would you buy it again?

Yedi

Reaction score
Do you park it on the dealers lot while at work? I bet that makes the dealership owner happy.....lol! Park it on showroom floor so buyers can see the upscale interior of Ram compared to the GMC Sierra. So the GMC has a Swiss army knife of a tailgate.....wait until someone pushes wrong button with a trailer hooked on and gets a big dent from crank handle on trailer tongue . Whoops, sorry Dad for the $1,000 dent in your new trucks tailgate. :cry:

Yeah, they weren't too impressed the first day I pulled up, I really don't care. It's my money, and it's a better truck. The joke there is calling it a Fiat...I just say Fiat makes a hell of a truck.

The Swiss army tailgate has a major design flaw....if a customer has a hitch in their receiver, the gate can smack right into it if the wrong button is pressed. GM told the salesman to tell customers not to leave their hitch on the truck for this reason.....real cute huh?

Have a bad feeling I'll be seeing alot of this in the body shop for that. Aluminum also.

4midlife

Reaction score
I am 50/50 on this as I love the truck but have been plagued with brake noise issues. Been to the dealer 4 times now with no fix. I was just told it is a rear caliper design issue and a fix will happen in the "Future". I would love to know their definition of "future"

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
I've always been a diehard GM fan (hence the screenname) but am not brand loyal by any means. Up until this point, I have driven early 2000's GM trucks and SUV's and if I was going to stick with vehicles of that era, I would stay GM no doubt. I had a 2002 Avalanche, 2004 Buick Rainier 5.3, 2003 Silverado 1500HD, and a 2003 Suburban 2500 8.1L recently. I recently sold the Suburban (I loved it) but it was starting to nickel and dime me a bit and the Midwest had started taking it's toll. No visible rust just yet but it was coming.

Before I decided to look at the Ram I looked at the F150 and Silverado. The Ram interior blows the others away. The exterior is the best IMO as well. I love the Ecoboost but not enough to deal with the crappy interior. If I could have gotten a Silverado/Sierra for a similar price as the Ram, then it would have been a tough decision.

Overall, I am very happy with the Ram although I only have owned it a couple of weeks. The only complaint I have is the MPG though. I am averaging 14.2 but it only has 800 miles on it. Hopefully that improves.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
I am 50/50 on this as I love the truck but have been plagued with brake noise issues. Been to the dealer 4 times now with no fix. I was just told it is a rear caliper design issue and a fix will happen in the "Future". I would love to know their definition of "future"
By that time, they are going to deem it normal wear and tear. Make sure theres a complaint on record of the noise. Like, take it in, have them have it on the paper and tell you they cant and ones coming in the future.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score

If your brake issues are the issue of the brakes squeaking like an old dump truck every time that you apply the brakes with light pressure; then you need to find a new dealer. I had that problem and reported it to my Service Advisor. They duplicated the problem, called FCA, and were instructed to replace the front calipers, rotors, and pads. Not only are my brakes quiet now, but I swear they even stop better. Find a new dealer.

4midlife

Reaction score
If your brake issues are the issue of the brakes squeaking like an old dump truck every time that you apply the brakes with light pressure; then you need to find a new dealer. I had that problem and reported it to my Service Advisor. They duplicated the problem, called FCA, and were instructed to replace the front calipers, rotors, and pads. Not only are my brakes quiet now, but I swear they even stop better. Find a new dealer.

Over the past 4 visits all rotors and pads have been replaced; so I opened a STAR case with Chrysler as they came back and said it is a known issue, and the issue is the rear caliper and that their will be a fix in the future. Very poor experience with Chrysler in how this is being handled as there is not ETA other than them stating in the "future". Due to the fact that the FCA rep specifically told me that they "cannot" fix it I am taking it down a different path now.

I have been extremely patient with this situation, I don't have time for this anymore.

I really like the truck, there is just no place for squeaking brakes in the year 2019 on a $60K truck. Disc brakes have been in mass production since the 50's which is why I am stunned that this was not discovered in the development stages.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Over the past 4 visits all rotors and pads have been replaced; so I opened a STAR case with Chrysler as they came back and said it is a known issue, and the issue is the rear caliper and that their will be a fix in the future. Very poor experience with Chrysler in how this is being handled as there is not ETA other than them stating in the "future". Due to the fact that the FCA rep specifically told me that they "cannot" fix it I am taking it down a different path now.

I have been extremely patient with this situation, I don't have time for this anymore.

I really like the truck, there is just no place for squeaking brakes in the year 2019 on a $60K truck. Disc brakes have been in mass production since the 50's which is why I am stunned that this was not discovered in the development stages.

I can't ague with that. Noisy brakes are something that should never occur on a 2019. The unfortunate thing here is that there will be a "fix in the future"...….most likely after your warranty expires and you are own your own.

Detzl

Reaction score
I would. It's a great truck despite few issues that I have myself. One issue that I'm disappointed about is a whine coming from the drivetrain that starts at 45mph. No idea what it is but I will address this with the dealer when I go in for my first service appointment.

tsiripong2000

Reaction score
I might.... I am torn. I like my truck a lot, but with issues that I have had in the past 2 years kinda make me think twice. Between quality of dealer network and FCA ability to admit fault, I will probably look else where. I have 2 dealers in my area, one is OK, and the other one is crap. I always take mine to the good one, so as others in the area which makes it hard to get schedule. Also, loaner car quality is no where near what you call a reliable loaner. I have a fully loaded Ram limited which sticker over 70K new. I expect something decent as a loaner. Doesn't have to be something super nice, but something that works and reliable. (I once got a 2011 town and country with 170K miles on the odometer, it did not even make it past 2 miles before it died.)

I agree with most people here, This is a great truck. Impressive interior. (main reason I did not consider Toyota Tundra or GMC sierra). I bought mine new in September 2019. I got almost every single issues that people list on this forum for 2019..... below is a list of issues I got. most of them are repaired or being repair (truck at the dealer right now);
- Rear glass sliding window track crack causing water to come into the cabin - fixed, rear glass replaced.
- water also leak through the 3rd brake light - fixed
- wheel alignment/vibration issues - independent shop fix this.
- turn signal stalk cancellation mechanism make a clicking noise - replace once, but problem still there.
- infotainment screen glitch - fixed with update
- clunk noise from sway bar links - fixed
- loose clunk feeling through steering wheel on slight rough surface road. - at the dealer right now getting steering gear replace. (2+ months waiting for parts)
- brake noise
- interior noise - somewhat fix
- slight warp of ram box lids.
- delamination of tail light lens. - fixed
- tail gate alignment issue - fixed. dealer sent it to their contracted body shop to align it.
- etc.

I still like the truck, but I'm on the fence of if I would keep it long term.

meansteve69

Reaction score
The big question, would you buy your ram again? I am about to pull the trigger on the new Ram, however everyone I know is telling me don't do it, they don't hold up, not reliable, etc. I drove a limited and loved it. Would rather have a GM ONLY for the 6.2 but HATE the interior as most do. I know all vehicles have their issues but just looking to make the right one. Thanks.
not in a million years :ROFLMAO:

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My 6th is on order. Never had any major issues with the other 5. One or two minor issues with each, but that's no different than any other vehicle I have owned. With all the parts a vehicle is built from, no vehicle will never have a problem.

meansteve69

Reaction score
Yep, last activity
Then resurrected on
then brought back to life on
And, of course, 6of36 just replies to f'ing everything! LOLOL

I've got some rattling noise I was trying to search/diagnose and found this post. If you look thru my post history you may be able to deduce why I couldn't resist the urge to tell someone to never buy a ram :LOL:

Users who are viewing this thread