5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless CarPlay Dongle

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
You should be fine on BT. It only uses it on the initial handshake and then switches to WiFi.

My Valentine 1 is connected to my phone via BT with the V1 Driver app, and I can still use it (it does interfere sometimes quickly unplugging the dongle and back in solves this) so I just manually connect the V1D app after CarPlay is up and running and they both work together w/o issues.
good to know.... it skips music a lot for me and the delay on the hands free phone calls is just a minor irritant. So I’ve been listening to satellite music more and making less phones calls.... probably a good thing.

stevestrike

Reaction score
with that said though there are some limitations to this item. From what I can tell you can only dedicate your wireless AND Bluetooth to the dongle exclusively. Any other connection will cause it to not work 100%, in my case the music skipping. In my truck I use the imbedded WiFi and I have a WiFi das camera and a new smart watch that uses Bluetooth.
These are not limitations to this item. This is how wireless carplay works as designed by Apple. Same exact situation as if you had a vehicle with wireless carplay built-in. It uses a wireless (wifi) network becuase bluetooth does not have the bandwidth to support the graphics and streaming to your head unit.

Fogcutter

Reaction score
So I've done a bunch of searches but the rusults always come back to this this thread or the group buy ones. I'm being very specific in my query i.e. Android Auto wireless etc. I know that the company that sells the Wireless Carplay (Carplay2air) also sells an adaptor for Android but to use it you have to plug into it which kind of defeats the purpose. I haven't had much luck finding what I need through google searches so....

Does anyone know of a solution for 2019 Rams with 12 inch screen that allows you to use Android Auto wirelessly?.... i.e. being able to use WAZE etc. without having to plug the phone into the console.

Last edited:

BlckDT

Reaction score
Still awaiting delivery - Ordered 4/26 with Standard (not expedited). It shows customs clearance since 5/27 with no additional movement or updated information. CARPLAY2air indicates that it will go from FedEx to USPS but don't have any other means to track current location or status. Not in a hurry, but kinda excited to try it and get it all setup.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Still awaiting delivery - Ordered 4/26 with Standard (not expedited). It shows customs clearance since 5/27 with no additional movement or updated information. CARPLAY2air indicates that it will go from FedEx to USPS but don't have any other means to track current location or status. Not in a hurry, but kinda excited to try it and get it all setup.
It will be well worth the wait my friend...I am super impressed with how well it integrates and the connection speed to my phone once I start the truck. Google Maps automatically appears within about 10 seconds after start-up :D

rsday75

Reaction score

My tracking says the same....
Ordered 04/27
I emailed for an update.
Git the below in reply.
May be time to open a dispute with AmEx....

We totally understand and we are so sorry for this delay. We have been monitoring the progress of the shipments daily with our shipper.

As much as we'd love to deliver this asap, apart from the pandemic, the current situation now in the US has added to the delay of pick up and delivery as some of the transportation vehicles of FedEx and USPS were robbed.

We know you have waited this long but we are unable to process the refund yet as the parcel is still in transit. We are following this up with our shipper daily so we have move the parcel the soonest possible time.

We appreciate your patience and cooperation on this matter. Thank you!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My tracking says the same....
Ordered 04/27
I emailed for an update.
Git the below in reply.
May be time to open a dispute with AmEx....

We totally understand and we are so sorry for this delay. We have been monitoring the progress of the shipments daily with our shipper.

As much as we'd love to deliver this asap, apart from the pandemic, the current situation now in the US has added to the delay of pick up and delivery as some of the transportation vehicles of FedEx and USPS were robbed.

We know you have waited this long but we are unable to process the refund yet as the parcel is still in transit. We are following this up with our shipper daily so we have move the parcel the soonest possible time.

We appreciate your patience and cooperation on this matter. Thank you!
I ordered 4/29. My package showed that it cleared customs on 5/27, but then...nothing. I reached out via email, and they confirmed the same info (that it has cleared customs). They said I should expect to receive it within the next couple of weeks. We’ll see!

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It will be well worth the wait my friend...I am super impressed with how well it integrates and the connection speed to my phone once I start the truck. Google Maps automatically appears within about 10 seconds after start-up :D
Do you happen to have an Apple Watch too? I’m wondering if that is messing with my connection to the wireless CarPlay dongle since it says for you to unpair all Bluetooth and WiFi

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I do not have an Apple watch. I disconnected my phone from my truck, eliminating the BT connection. I was just out again yesterday evening for about an hour and, once again, everything is working flawlessly. As you stated above, the dongle requires that ONLY the CarPlay unit be connected to BT and WiFi on your phone. I would try disconnecting the watch to see what happens as it can easily be reconnected.

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
I do not have an Apple watch. I disconnected my phone from my truck, eliminating the BT connection. I was just out again yesterday evening for about an hour and, once again, everything is working flawlessly. As you stated above, the dongle requires that ONLY the CarPlay unit be connected to BT and WiFi on your phone. I would try disconnecting the watch to see what happens as it can easily be reconnected.
Should it show connected under my Bluetooth connections? Because for some reason it connects then disconnects? It is the RAM one on my list

Attachments

• 32830960-81A0-4298-AD71-851F967E1299.png
    32830960-81A0-4298-AD71-851F967E1299.png
    170.9 KB · Views: 33

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
I’ll admit that their customer service is very good, they’ve emailed me back a number of times within 24 hours to my questions... with that said though there are some limitations to this item. From what I can tell you can only dedicate your wireless AND Bluetooth to the dongle exclusively. Any other connection will cause it to not work 100%, in my case the music skipping. In my truck I use the imbedded WiFi and I have a WiFi das camera and a new smart watch that uses Bluetooth. All of which has to be disconnected from the phone for it to be perfect.... gotta love 1st world problems.

if you’re gonna return it you only have 15 days. I’m way past that so I’m keeping it....
Only Bluetooth thing I use in my truck is my Apple Watch and even with my watch in the house I can’t get the system to stay connected to my phone.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Should it show connected under my Bluetooth connections? Because for some reason it connects then disconnects? It is the RAM one on my list
The way the dongle works is the following:

Your phone connects to the dongle via BT first. Once connected, it initiates a WiFi connection. Once the WiFi connection is established between your phone and dongle, it then releases the BT connection and your phone remains connected to the dongle via BT. BT cannot handle the bandwidth for CarPlay...WiFi can.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So have they came out for one that actually is for the Gen 5 Ram?

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
The way the dongle works is the following:

Your phone connects to the dongle via BT first. Once connected, it initiates a WiFi connection. Once the WiFi connection is established between your phone and dongle, it then releases the BT connection and your phone remains connected to the dongle via BT. BT cannot handle the bandwidth for CarPlay...WiFi can.
So is there anything on my phone that indicates that it is connected to the single? Should I see a WiFi connection or something?

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
Guess I have some bad luck or something. Mine plays music horribly right now.
Skips more than it plays pretty much. I’ve tried everything recommended to me and still the same results. I emailed them to see if they can give me some guidance. The WiFi is showing an error too after switching from the Bluetooth connection.

Attachments

• D0D13673-F94B-4AA1-A62D-C29F5E355012.png
    D0D13673-F94B-4AA1-A62D-C29F5E355012.png
    162.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 053E51B9-CBC7-49DE-BD78-92DE404DD14D.png
    053E51B9-CBC7-49DE-BD78-92DE404DD14D.png
    129.9 KB · Views: 36

Users who are viewing this thread