5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wind noise

Synergy26

Reaction score
To add to the whistling thread, I had a wind noise/whistle on the passenger side during the test drive before I bought the truck. Can start to hear it around 35mph and it gets louder the faster I go. Got the dealer to agree to fix it under warranty. Once at the dealer, the tech already knew how to resolve the issue. The body panels are not entirely sealed from the factory and this was causing a vacuum in the cabin and air was escaping while the recirculation was on. If you turned it off and used outside air, the whistle would stop. He pulled the dash out, applied body sealer to the seams. No more whistling noise.
Do you know exactly why they did? Or could you let me see what the service notes said? What dealership is it? Maybe I could call them

rsnc87

Reaction score
I have a wind noise in my 2019 1500 coming from the driver side door. it starts making the noise around 20 mph and sounds like the door is not closed or the window is cracked. oddly it seems less audible around starting around 45 mph, maybe because ANC or other noises?

I've tried turning air recirc on and off and it doesn't seem to make a difference. i've tried pulling the door tight while driving, pressing the seals, and no luck. i've got power mirrors and folded them in while driving, and it seems to make a little difference.

I'm thinking it make be the seal in the door is not flush, or potentially an issue with a pillar. any suggestions on what to do from those who have fixed?

it is not the high pitch whistling or howling noise, its just a constant wind noise

RJS

Reaction score
I have a wind noise in my 2019 1500 coming from the driver side door. it starts making the noise around 20 mph and sounds like the door is not closed or the window is cracked. oddly it seems less audible around starting around 45 mph, maybe because ANC or other noises?

I've tried turning air recirc on and off and it doesn't seem to make a difference. i've tried pulling the door tight while driving, pressing the seals, and no luck. i've got power mirrors and folded them in while driving, and it seems to make a little difference.

I'm thinking it make be the seal in the door is not flush, or potentially an issue with a pillar. any suggestions on what to do from those who have fixed?

it is not the high pitch whistling or howling noise, its just a constant wind noise
You might try the old dollar bill trick. Take a $100 bill and put it in the door opening, close the door and pull it out. If there is resistance there should be a seal. Try that all the way around and see where the resistance is lowest. I used to use one dollar bills but these are high dollar trucks.

The best method is to use 3M tape around the door and window openings then removing it in sections to see where the noise starts but that's difficult on the drivers door. You could have someone ride with you and remove the tape in sections however.

NewRam92

Reaction score
Look from the outside - is the door flush with the body? I had an issue on my passenger side with wind coming in and it was because the door wasn't closing flush to the body. The dealership mechanic made some adjustments (I believe it can be done with hinge adjustment and striker adjustment). The door now sits tighter when closed and I don't have any wind noise.

Crg512mac

Reaction score
You might try the old dollar bill trick. Take a $100 bill and put it in the door opening, close the door and pull it out. If there is resistance there should be a seal. Try that all the way around and see where the resistance is lowest. I used to use one dollar bills but these are high dollar trucks.

The best method is to use 3M tape around the door and window openings then removing it in sections to see where the noise starts but that's difficult on the drivers door. You could have someone ride with you and remove the tape in sections however.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My door is adjusted properly and I still hear it. I notice the weather strip is not very secure. It is extremely pliable. I think it is allowing air under it. I thought about taping it with a thin strip of blue painters tape on the bottom edge to the door. If that does the trick I will seal it in place with weather strip adhesive.

I have other things to do though now that leaves are coming down. I live in the woods and it is an onslaught of leaves.

I also have issues with my drivers seat that bother me a lot more than the door seal.

BMem

Reaction score
Yes, that is the same sound mine makes.
I've mostly only traveled in my 2019 Limited in town up to recently when I drove up to the airport on the highway at 75MPH. There was a pretty good wind that day and sure enough I was getting the tea kettle sound also. I've been putting up with the door wind noise since I bought this truck. I also had the noise from the rear vent and my truck is missing the seal between the cab and the box. When I replaced the junk Goodyear touring tires that came on the truck which were worn out at 17,000 miles with new Cooper SRX tires, the vent noise is almost non-existant. Not sure I'm going to have the seal installed which will probably trap dirt and moisture causing rust.

UPDATE 1/14/2022
Went in to dealer to fix air leak in doors. They sent to body shop to fix problem. The body shop bent the tops of the passenger doors in so now they don't line up with the roofline. They are about a quarter inch in all along the tops of the doors. My wife complains she can still hear the wind on the passenger side. The drivers side still lines up ok but the wind noise is still there as it was before. I've had the tea kettle sound twice now but since it can't be duplicated, it's an easy out for the dealer. Getting rid of this truck and going back to a Ford Platinum like I had before this truck. It was such a quiet ride. I can't believe Ram doesn't have a TSB out on this and lets get everyones truck fixed so you have happy customers.

Last edited:

schmidtp43

Reaction score
On rare occasions I had the morse code noise in windy conditions. I am out of factory warranty and was not going to pay the dealer especially with the feedback from this thread. Added 3/8" backer rod weather stripping behind the weather stripping on door. No more noise and we have had some extremely windy days in Wisconsin lately.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On rare occasions I had the morse code noise in windy conditions. I am out of factory warranty and was not going to pay the dealer especially with the feedback from this thread. Added 3/8" backer rod weather stripping behind the weather stripping on door. No more noise and we have had some extremely windy days in Wisconsin lately.
I need to do this. I get the noise occasionally with strong winds. I have the backer rod in the garage already, just haven't installed it yet. Glad to hear it fixed the problem for you. Did you do just the front doors?

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
please post a picture

schmidtp43

Reaction score
is. I get the noise occasionally with strong winds. I have the backer rod in the garage already, just haven't installed it yet. Glad to hear it fixed the problem for you. Did you do just the front doors?

please post a picture

Just the front two doors, I highlighted where I put it, just stuffed it behind the current door seal/weather strip. A new seal or door adjustment might fix it as well but this was the easiest/cheapest option. I only had an issue on drives door but still did both.

Attachments

• InkedPXL_20211208_163216866.MP_LI.jpg
    InkedPXL_20211208_163216866.MP_LI.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 170
  • PXL_20211208_163317761.jpg
    PXL_20211208_163317761.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 168

Bigga826

Reaction score
Just the front two doors, I highlighted where I put it, just stuffed it behind the current door seal/weather strip. A new seal or door adjustment might fix it as well but this was the easiest/cheapest option. I only had an issue on drives door but still did both.
Hey! What size backer rod did you happen to use?

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 4 posts up....... ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 🤣
Hey! What size backer rod did you happen to use?

Iowa_Mopar

Reaction score
@RamCares really wish you could do something about this wind noise problem. I’ve been to 3 separate dealerships on 4 separate occasions, where I’m left empty handed on getting this wind whistle issue resolved (that everyone else seems to obviously be having as well). I’m now 4k over my bumper to bumper warranty so now if I would still want to pursue getting it fixed it would be at a cost to me which is absurd and not to mention just a big freaked headaches considering it’s such a basic engineering task to. Make. Sure. The. Cabin. Is. Free. From. Stupid. Noises!
Needless to say I’m dumping this pile very soon and going to Ford. And I don’t give a flying leap what anyone says about Ford having there own problems. I’m willing to risk it considering my dealership experience with Ken Garf has been atrocious!

patriot_tech

Reaction score
I have finally found the solution to my trucks teapot wind noise. My 2020 Limited is out of warranty and I wasn't going to take it to dealer. I tried all the various fixes and nothing seemed to work until I used dynamat at the base of the drivers A-pillar. It's tight, so I have a bunch of small pieces covering the area (especially where you see the foam filler). I then covered that with closed cell foam. Taking the speaker cover out and the speaker too gives you better access to the area. No noise since I did this. Hopefully this helps! It's so nice to drive without that God awful whistle!

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have finally found the solution to my trucks teapot wind noise. My 2020 Limited is out of warranty and I wasn't going to take it to dealer. I tried all the various fixes and nothing seemed to work until I used dynamat at the base of the drivers A-pillar. It's tight, so I have a bunch of small pieces covering the area (especially where you see the foam filler). I then covered that with closed cell foam. Taking the speaker cover out and the speaker too gives you better access to the area. No noise since I did this. Hopefully this helps! It's so nice to drive without that God awful whistle!
I did something similar. I threw some seam sealer into that corner and it solved it immediately. That was after my truck spent a month at the dealer.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you have any photos of this?
I don't have any pictures of the after, but here's what the bottom corner of the drivers side A-Pillar looked like before:
1639509012133.png

What I used wasn't traditional seam sealer, it was more just a butyl strip that can be used for such a thing (easier to handle in such a tight space).

Here's what I used:

I just ripped off a piece and stuffed it in there...made sure to cover all those holes (there was air coming through that big one at the top, confirmed by stuffing my finger in there while driving as it whistled). Truck hasn't whistled since.

Last edited:

RamCares

Reaction score
@RamCares really wish you could do something about this wind noise problem. I’ve been to 3 separate dealerships on 4 separate occasions, where I’m left empty handed on getting this wind whistle issue resolved (that everyone else seems to obviously be having as well). I’m now 4k over my bumper to bumper warranty so now if I would still want to pursue getting it fixed it would be at a cost to me which is absurd and not to mention just a big freaked headaches considering it’s such a basic engineering task to. Make. Sure. The. Cabin. Is. Free. From. Stupid. Noises!
Needless to say I’m dumping this pile very soon and going to Ford. And I don’t give a flying leap what anyone says about Ford having there own problems. I’m willing to risk it considering my dealership experience with Ken Garf has been atrocious!
Hi,
We’re very sorry to hear that. Please know that our team would be more than happy to provide assistance. Please follow up with us via PM to provide Please follow up with us via DM to provide additional details regarding your concerns so we may determine how to best assist you.

Rob
Ram Cares

Users who are viewing this thread