5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winch

cra1g

Reaction score
Is everyone thinking you won't be able to reach the clutch without the relocation kit?

I'll bet you could just clock it so that the clutch lever is accessible from underneath. You'd have no trouble reaching up under to turn it while it's sitting in the driveway, but maybe not when you're in mud up to the hubs and actually need the winch. I'd rather just relocate, since they make a pretty slick kit to do it that works with the winch I would have picked anyway.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is everyone thinking you won't be able to reach the clutch without the relocation kit?
Not me I just want to make sure if I have the option to have the clutch operator right out front I would prefer that. Need to make sure I get a winch that works with Vice Design kit?

VICE design

Trusted RAM Truck Adventure Gear
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Not me I just want to make sure if I have the option to have the clutch operator right out front I would prefer that. Need to make sure I get a winch that works with Vice Design kit?

bang for buck I recommend the Smittybilt X20 Comp in either the 10,000 lb or 12,000 lb size. Most opt for the 12,000 lb version - it has a bit more power. General rule of thumb is 2.5 x vehicle weight. Of course with a snatch block you can get away with a smaller winch. This winch comes with a handy wireless controller that works nicely with this kit.

The VR 10s and 12s are also nice winches. They come prespooled with line, and the clutch actuator turns a little bit smoother when compared to the smitty. They have a waterproof and dust protection rating of IP67, while the smittybilt housing is rated more waterproof at IP68.

The ZEON 10s and 12s (PLATINUM) is a high end winch that comes with a wireless clutch, as well as a wireless in/out controller. It actually can even wire into and control your lights. All these features come with a heaftyier pricetag tho.

You can make any winch wireless with an aftermarket kit and a bit of wiring. After we get all these orders sent off we'll do a video that goes over that, and also how to wire a switch into your cab. We plan on releasing a wiring kit and a universal wireless controller.

Note: The Smittybilt X20 Comps do come with line, you just have to spool it on the winch after its installed on the vehicle. Essentially a small extra step.

Appreciate all your support and orders!

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
bang for buck I recommend the Smittybilt X20 Comp in either the 10,000 lb or 12,000 lb size. Most opt for the 12,000 lb version - it has a bit more power. General rule of thumb is 2.5 x vehicle weight. Of course with a snatch block you can get away with a smaller winch. This winch comes with a handy wireless controller that works nicely with this kit.

The VR 10s and 12s are also nice winches. They come prespooled with line, and the clutch actuator turns a little bit smoother when compared to the smitty. They have a waterproof and dust protection rating of IP67, while the smittybilt housing is rated more waterproof at IP68.

The ZEON 10s and 12s (PLATINUM) is a high end winch that comes with a wireless clutch, as well as a wireless in/out controller. It actually can even wire into and control your lights. All these features come with a heaftyier pricetag tho.

You can make any winch wireless with an aftermarket kit and a bit of wiring. After we get all these orders sent off we'll do a video that goes over that, and also how to wire a switch into your cab. We plan on releasing a wiring kit and a universal wireless controller.

Note: The Smittybilt X20 Comps do come with line, you just have to spool it on the winch after its installed on the vehicle. Essentially a small extra step.

Appreciate all your support and orders!
Do you have an estimated shipping date for the folks on the preorder? Also if you posted those work shirts on your site I bet you could sell a few

Last edited:

VICE design

5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Sorry gents - havn't checked the messages in a bit - were full out at the shop so we can get all your orders built and shipped!

Glad you dig our work shirts. Other local fab shop employees want them too ahah! Ill bought these shirts on clearout and had them embroydered and printed. Ill see if any are left and let you know what they'd cost.

Cheers!!

JBeckman

Reaction score
Sorry gents - havn't checked the messages in a bit - were full out at the shop so we can get all your orders built and shipped!

Glad you dig our work shirts. Other local fab shop employees want them too ahah! Ill bought these shirts on clearout and had them embroydered and printed. Ill see if any are left and let you know what they'd cost.

Cheers!!

Yeeessss.... ! Lol

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Order placed with Vice they said they could get it out with this run. Unfortunately discount code no longer working hopefully they change their mind but order placed.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
D2B6F7B3-3B97-499D-8595-7DCE781D4369.jpeg
After pulling the trigger on all this expensive stuff I figured go big or go home so exchanged the 10k for the 12k. I don’t like to screw around.

cra1g

Reaction score
After pulling the trigger on all this expensive stuff I figured go big or go home so exchanged the 10k for the 12k. I don’t like to screw around.

I went with the 12k too, but the 10k would probably have been fine. They have the same motor, but different gearing, so the 10k has faster line speed, but the 12k pulls harder.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes hard to get real world comparisons on actual differences I am familiar and have good snatch block but for the diff in price once you go this far I’ll go a little bigger. The mount with the clutch relocation is as much as winch!!!!

RichT

Reaction score
If you are getting a Warn, now is the time. 10% + no sales tax @ 4wp for Labor Day

ordered mine

RichT

Reaction score
lol, just got a quote for install. want to guess? actually, let's do this...

What does everyone think is a fair price to install the mount + winch. In this case, there will be no clutch relocation and the lights will be powered by the aux ports on the winch.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lol. I’m gonna be doing it myself because the parts were already expensive but I’m also super picky and already have a power switch for inside the truck. I’m just doing it on a day off but will give myself all day to take time and enjoy a beer or two doing it with my son.I bet a shop wants 6+ hrs. Most shops up here have a ridiculous rate of between 110-130 hr. Keep in mind our dollar not worth sht compared to our friends down south.

Txy

Reaction score
So what do you guys have planned for a power switch relocation? I cant imagine people are crawling under their tucks everytime to turn it on. Are there any plug and play solutions for the smittybilt x20?

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So what do you guys have planned for a power switch relocation? I cant imagine people are crawling under their tucks everytime to turn it on. Are there any plug and play solutions for the smittybilt x20?
I purchased a better switch and illuminating and gonna pop it in this small panel
3FE2AFEA-BBD9-48A7-9206-D309069D7C69.jpeg

VICE design

5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Good to see the winches stacking up!

Parts for these kits are also starting to go on the shelves here :) Just received all the X20 machined clutch parts and sending them off to zinc electroplating today.

Also Warn is releasing a new winch this month that is set to replace the VR-10 and VR-12. Its called the VR ECO and also comes in 10,000 and 12,000 lb capacities. I was able to get one in the shop and have taken it all apart. I'm stoked on this one. Its a nice package, comes pre-spooled with synthetic line, has an IP68 waterproofing rating like the SmittyBilt, AND built in wireless controller! Theres a couple other nifty things about it - well have to do a video when get a kit together. We've already designed a clutch relocation kit for them and I'm sending those drawings off today to get a prototype going.

We've also designed a clutch relocation kit for the Warn ZEON. Its at machining now. More on that one when we get the parts back for pictures.

We'll start shipping kits here within the next two weeks, in order that those ordered! Thanks to everyone who ordered. I cant wait to get these kits to you as much as you cant wait :)

-Quinton

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online