5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winch

RichT

Reaction score
A new Warn....arrrrgh. Hope I don't end up wanting it over the plat 12s I ordered.

So no more guesses huh? lol....$1700 they wanted. No gold plating included.

So yeah, looked like I'll be DIY'ing it as well...and looking forward to everyone posting their detailed experiences for me to lean on. Everything looks straight forward though. Guess my only unknown is if anything in the computer gets pissed about the parking sensors being removed.

JBeckman

Reaction score
Good to see the winches stacking up!

Parts for these kits are also starting to go on the shelves here :) Just received all the X20 machined clutch parts and sending them off to zinc electroplating today.

Also Warn is releasing a new winch this month that is set to replace the VR-10 and VR-12. Its called the VR ECO and also comes in 10,000 and 12,000 lb capacities. I was able to get one in the shop and have taken it all apart. I'm stoked on this one. Its a nice package, comes pre-spooled with synthetic line, has an IP68 waterproofing rating like the SmittyBilt, AND built in wireless controller! Theres a couple other nifty things about it - well have to do a video when get a kit together. We've already designed a clutch relocation kit for them and I'm sending those drawings off today to get a prototype going.

We've also designed a clutch relocation kit for the Warn ZEON. Its at machining now. More on that one when we get the parts back for pictures.

We'll start shipping kits here within the next two weeks, in order that those ordered! Thanks to everyone who ordered. I cant wait to get these kits to you as much as you cant wait :)

-Quinton

Awesome!! So any leads on the denim work shirts? Lololololo

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I hope this is not a stupid question but with the clutch relocation putting it out front accessible to anyone, can the line just be spooled out and say some pos just steals your expensive Factor 55 flatlink or others? Or if there is tension on the line do you need to reverse the winch a little to be able to free spool?

NickZube

Reaction score
Will these winch plates work with the new gen 3 eco diesel and the intercooler placement?

JBeckman

Reaction score
I hope this is not a stupid question but with the clutch relocation putting it out front accessible to anyone, can the line just be spooled out and say some pos just steals your expensive Factor 55 flatlink or others? Or if there is tension on the line do you need to reverse the winch a little to be able to free spool?

I would have to assume it would need to be released before free spool. I know with the factor 55 system or even a hook, you will draw it in tight. So it doesnt rattle or bounce around. So some slack would need to be put in it before free spool.

tobyw

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been covered, but how much sag are you guys seeing on the front end after installation? I'd like to go with one of these setups but I want to ensure it's going to work in my overall plan and not throw my suspension height(s) all out of whack... I'm used to seeing 1/2" to 3/4" sag when adding a winch on a coil-sprung Jeep (97-current platforms), so wondering what to anticipate here. Thanks for any info!!

RichT

Reaction score
it's about 100 lbs in general (mount + winch) so could probably just get a temp kid hood ornament to check it

JBeckman

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been covered, but how much sag are you guys seeing on the front end after installation? I'd like to go with one of these setups but I want to ensure it's going to work in my overall plan and not throw my suspension height(s) all out of whack... I'm used to seeing 1/2" to 3/4" sag when adding a winch on a coil-sprung Jeep (97-current platforms), so wondering what to anticipate here. Thanks for any info!!
The pre order kits havent shipped yet. So no real world measurements as of yet. However once mine arrives I can get you some.

VICE design

Trusted RAM Truck Adventure Gear
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
LRM_EXPORT_38609165856082_20190910_174745586.jpeg

Less than 1/4" of sag on this truck. RAM 1500 DT Sport with Parking Sensors and Air Dam. Smittybilt X20 Winch with Clutch Relocation Kit. Aftermarket Fairlead to keep that Factory black look. Most of the parts are ready. Waiting on custom boxes and plating for the clutch relocation kits. Almost there gents thanks for your patience.

BmoreStew

Reaction score
View attachment 35567

Less than 1/4" of sag on this truck. RAM 1500 DT Sport with Parking Sensors and Air Dam. Smittybilt X20 Winch with Clutch Relocation Kit. Aftermarket Fairlead to keep that Factory black look. Most of the parts are ready. Waiting on custom boxes and plating for the clutch relocation kits. Almost there gents thanks for your patience.

Any reason I can’t cut/mod the factory plastic trim to fit the fairlead and clutch?

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any reason I can’t cut/mod the factory plastic trim to fit the fairlead and clutch?
As I ordered the setup the exact same as this last pic vice provided if it’s possible I will be modifying my plastic grill. If it doesn’t work they did a very nice job on the one supplied in the kit but I’m going closed system so won’t hang a hook.

tobyw

Reaction score
Less than 1/4" of sag on this truck. RAM 1500 DT Sport with Parking Sensors and Air Dam. Smittybilt X20 Winch with Clutch Relocation Kit. Aftermarket Fairlead to keep that Factory black look.

Great info, thank you!!

JBeckman

Reaction score
As I ordered the setup the exact same as this last pic vice provided if it’s possible I will be modifying my plastic grill. If it doesn’t work they did a very nice job on the one supplied in the kit but I’m going closed system so won’t hang a hook.

Which closed system are you going with? I ordered a factor 55 1" fairlead and flatlink E.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m using the Smitty AWS shackle. They are black anodized. I like the Factor 55 but not their prices.

cra1g

Reaction score
I’m using the Smitty AWS shackle. They are black anodized. I like the Factor 55 but not their prices.

Since you have to "un-splice' the Smittybilt anyway, I got the Factor 55 Splicer--much cheaper than their other options. I've got their Flatlink on my Jeep, and it's great, but I don't need to hide it behind the license plate on the Ram.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone get an update on the status of these winch mounts to be delivered?

Users who are viewing this thread