5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winch

B-Rebel

Reaction score
Also here's a video if you want to see the Winch mount in action. Its a quick one - had to return the vehicle to the owner. I'll try to make more and more content like this so you can see how things work

The new winch mounts look great. I’ve been looking forward to these coming out. Do you by chance have a photo of the mount with the sensor option(I wasnt able to find one on your website).

Also, is needing to keep the winching angle within 15 degrees side to side and 5 degrees up and down pretty standard for a hidden winch mount? I’m looking for a winch setup that is pretty capable and I’m wondering if I should wait for one of your low profile bumpers w/ winch mount to come out.

Thanks!

VICE design

Trusted RAM Truck Adventure Gear
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
The new winch mounts look great. I’ve been looking forward to these coming out. Do you by chance have a photo of the mount with the sensor option(I wasnt able to find one on your website).

Also, is needing to keep the winching angle within 15 degrees side to side and 5 degrees up and down pretty standard for a hidden winch mount? I’m looking for a winch setup that is pretty capable and I’m wondering if I should wait for one of your low profile bumpers w/ winch mount to come out.

Thanks!

These are best winching practices. Its definately the safest way to perform any recovery. Its also the easiest on your gear. Installed properly, this mount is capable of much much more, however, its the numbers I'm providing for now

Trying to book a ram 1500 with sensors into the shop so we can get some product photos!

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is a nice product (y)

Mostly unrelated to this, but if you are new to winches or whatever, a winch rope is a nice upgrade IMO. Amsteel is kind of the original brand, but everyone has them now.

Then you don’t have to worry about the “safety” aspect of using the winch as much. Like broken cables/hooks flying at you or using gloves so you don’t get steel Spurs in your hand. Etc

JBeckman

Reaction score
These are best winching practices. Its definately the safest way to perform any recovery. Its also the easiest on your gear. Installed properly, this mount is capable of much much more, however, its the numbers I'm providing for now

Trying to book a ram 1500 with sensors into the shop so we can get some product photos!

Quinton on a completely side note. I need one of those shop shirt button downs... lol

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
Quick (or not) questions :D

What is included in the purchase? IE is it the entire bumper, winch mount, winch, cable, yadda yadda yadda and we just bolt it on plug it in and go? Or is it the winch mount brackets and we have to R'n'R the bumper (make cuts?) mount winch brackets, buy and install winch?

JBeckman

Reaction score
Quick (or not) questions :D

What is included in the purchase? IE is it the entire bumper, winch mount, winch, cable, yadda yadda yadda and we just bolt it on plug it in and go? Or is it the winch mount brackets and we have to R'n'R the bumper (make cuts?) mount winch brackets, buy and install winch?

It is just the winch mount. You can add the clutch relocate knob, additional led cubes, or sensors. No winch is included. That's a separate purchase.

There is no hacking of the oem bumper. I went with the clutch relocate knob and sensors. The kit will include a plate that replaced the incert in the center of your bumper.

Basically you remove your bumper, sensors and center trim piece. Set aside. Then mount your choice of winch to the mount. Install new plate in bumper hole (where trim piece was). Install winch & mount to frame. Then hook back up sensors (if you have them). Mount bumper back in place. Attach clutch knob (if you ordered). Attach fairlead and lace cable/synthetic rope through fairlead to winch. Power on winch to wrap drum (under load). Then boom your done.

This is a rough explanation of install. I'm just going off videos I've seen. Havent received my mount yet, but cannot wait.

VICE design

5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
It is just the winch mount. You can add the clutch relocate knob, additional led cubes, or sensors. No winch is included. That's a separate purchase.

There is no hacking of the oem bumper. I went with the clutch relocate knob and sensors. The kit will include a plate that replaced the incert in the center of your bumper.

Basically you remove your bumper, sensors and center trim piece. Set aside. Then mount your choice of winch to the mount. Install new plate in bumper hole (where trim piece was). Install winch & mount to frame. Then hook back up sensors (if you have them). Mount bumper back in place. Attach clutch knob (if you ordered). Attach fairlead and lace cable/synthetic rope through fairlead to winch. Power on winch to wrap drum (under load). Then boom your done.

This is a rough explanation of install. I'm just going off videos I've seen. Havent received my mount yet, but cannot wait.

Well said!

I just posted the complete installation instructions on our website. Go to the product page and scroll to the bottom for the download !

VICE design

5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Edit: Looks like this is fixed, and the discount code is working now. Order placed--thank you!

Appreciate you pointing that out this weekend. Thank you for your order!!

cra1g

Reaction score
What brand and model winch is everyone going with?

Smittybilt X2O Comp 12k for me. I have the 10K version on my Grand Cherokee. Haven't used it a lot, but I've had no issues with it. I did take it apart as soon as I got it, clean out their crappy grease, and put in Aeroshell 33MS. I also smothered all the external electrical connections with dielectric grease. I'll do the same with the new one.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm no expert on winches and would appreciate someone here giving some advice. I have looked at the Smitty Built as well at Warn. Is 12k the right size for these trucks and which out of the two brands mentioned can have the switch located at front of truck so I don't need to crawl under to use. Thank you in advance.

ADK Ram

Reaction score
I'm no expert on winches and would appreciate someone here giving some advice. I have looked at the Smitty Built as well at Warn. Is 12k the right size for these trucks and which out of the two brands mentioned can have the switch located at front of truck so I don't need to crawl under to use. Thank you in advance.

12K is adequate for size. Some winches have relocation kits for the controllers, but nothing for the clutch. The hidden winch mount Vice offers actually has a full on clutch relocation kit for free spooling, but they don't seem to have anything for a relocation of the winch controller. Your best bet is to get a winch with a wireless remote like the X02 Comp by Smitty. I had one on my grand Cherokee and it's a great winch.

cra1g

Reaction score
12K is adequate for size. Some winches have relocation kits for the controllers, but nothing for the clutch. The hidden winch mount Vice offers actually has a full on clutch relocation kit for free spooling, but they don't seem to have anything for a relocation of the winch controller. Your best bet is to get a winch with a wireless remote like the X02 Comp by Smitty. I had one on my grand Cherokee and it's a great winch.

Here's what I did with the Smittybilt on my Grand Cherokee. I added a remote-mount control box under the hood with a keyed "master on" switch (so I don't have to worry about some service tech or valet trying to cave in my bumper), a separate switch to enable the winch's wireless receiver, a socket to plug in the wired remote, and a backup switch that operates the winch directly just in case the remote gets lost or destroyed. I'm thinking I'll probably do exactly the same thing on the Ram.

Last edited:

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thx guys good info. The clutch lever for free spooling was my biggest worry. What is the terminology I need when I’m looking at winches will they state clutch relocation or is that a part Vice makes to work with them? I don’t want to buy a winch that I can’t get to the clutch switch if that makes sense

cra1g

Reaction score
Thx guys good info. The clutch lever for free spooling was my biggest worry. What is the terminology I need when I’m looking at winches will they state clutch relocation or is that a part Vice makes to work with them? I don’t want to buy a winch that I can’t get to the clutch switch if that makes sense

These are your choices if you want to use the Vice relocation kit:

There's Warn winch (Zeon Platinum) that includes clutch operation via the remote, so there's no lever to relocate. It's almost 4x the price of the Smittybilt, though, and Warn's quality now isn't the quality that built their reputation. Not worth the cost, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread