5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why still no MDS Disable 3rd party device?

Genxeration

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You're fine running with tow/haul mode as long as you don't mind even worse gas mileage that we have already, and the fact that you're getting additional engine braking when going down hills.
I guess with my 35” Nittos and lift my mileage sucks anyway. I don’t even think about it anymore. I’m just happy the gas prices are down

PMantle

Reaction score
I do in my truck and it feels pretty jarring when it comes out of MDS. I had an early Dodge Challenger with the six-speed manual and they had some stupid 2nd gear lockout that made you shift straight from 1st to 3rd if you didn't have your foot in the accelerator. There were aftermarket solutions to bypass that, which I quickly installed. The manufacturers have to do these sort of silly things to try to meet the fuel economy regulations imposed on them.
This makes me think some are defective. I would check with your dealer. Mine is absolutely seamless. I can even watch the light go on and off and feel absolutely nothing.

RunsWithBeer

Reaction score
This makes me think some are defective. I would check with your dealer. Mine is absolutely seamless. I can even watch the light go on and off and feel absolutely nothing.
I've been down the service bay rodeo enough times to know they'll tell me it's working normally. Until it throws a code related to MDS the service visit would be a waste of time.

To clarify, it doesn't make the bump sensation every time it comes out of MDS. Only on those occasions were I'm under very light throttle and then apply slightly more throttle, or I'm coasting down and apply light throttle. If I put my foot into it I don't feel the jarring sensation. The Eco light will go on and off many times without me feeling anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buz

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agree. It’s when it pops OUT of MDS that it’s most noticeable. And it’s not every time. Depends on conditions.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I believe you that it's not noticeable to YOU.
But many of us are ultra sensitive to the symphony of the engine/transmission/driveline.
I think, for me, living in Florida where it's predominantly flat may increase the amount of times MDS kicks in and out. Since it's flat, and I drive with a light foot, the MDS is on a LOT. But the minute I want to accelerate slightly I can feel the engine struggling to hold on to MDS. It doesn't want to give up 4 cylinder mode until the last second; and at that point when the engine finally relinquishes power to the other 4 cylinders, it causes a noticeable 'BUMP' in the driveline. Happens all the time.
I'm amazed at how incredibly butter-smooth this rig is when MDS is off. It's the smoothest engine/transmission combo I've ever driven.
Maybe people who live in hill-country aren't as affected by MDS because it's not being used nearly as much?
I definitely pay attention to engine harmonics because you can diagnose many issues by paying attention to what the vehicle is doing. I had a 05 Magnum with MDS and that was very noticeable, especially in exhaust sound. My 20 Ram not so much, and barely hear any difference with my Borla exhaust. I would say it comes down to some trucks react differently than others it seems. And living in an area with a lot of hills, I'd be willing to bet my MDS kicks in and out more often

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Only reason I even turned the ECO light setting on was because I wasn't even sure if MDS was working.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And living in an area with a lot of hills, I'd be willing to bet my MDS kicks in and out more often
Perhaps, but when MDS kicks off in hill country it's probably from a more forceful press on the gas due to the incline.
When cruising along a flat stretch of road (i.e. Florida) and wanting to accelerate just a little bit, this is when I notice it most.

WW2

Reaction score
Mine is the same...most of the time its seamless and then all the sudden you get a bad transition and a noticeable bump...Its not perfect by any means but way better than in the past.. I did a MPG test on my drive to work with it on or disabled.. There is ZERO difference in my gas mileage...so I usually just cut it off.. All this CAFE crap they are shoving down are throats does next to nothing to improve mileage...It just makes them look better on paper...SUCKS !!!!

RSConsulting

Reaction score
There's no legitimate answer to this, but Ive got to ask why?

Most of my driving is within a mile or two from home. I guess it's kind of like why I ride a motorcycle without a helmet.

Moving at highway speeds (in heavy traffic) or in the rain - increases my likelihood of being in an accident. I've been in them both with and without belts. I (honestly) sustained worse injuries with belt/airbag (2nd degree burns from the airbag) - then the low speed incidents without.

I do wear them occasionally (otherwise) when I remember - should probably wear them more often (or all the time). With the Tazer disabling the seatbelt chime, it's less annoying when not wearing them.

There - all out of excuses (LOL).

OTOH - I once started a thread complaining about the 105MPH speed limiter on the truck - and 1/2 the answers were Karens lecturing me on why I shouldn't ever be going that fast...

YMMV...

Rick

Vilas15

Reaction score
Most of my driving is within a mile or two from home. I guess it's kind of like why I ride a motorcycle without a helmet.

Moving at highway speeds (in heavy traffic) or in the rain - increases my likelihood of being in an accident. I've been in them both with and without belts. I (honestly) sustained worse injuries with belt/airbag (2nd degree burns from the airbag) - then the low speed incidents without.

I do wear them occasionally (otherwise) when I remember - should probably wear them more often (or all the time). With the Tazer disabling the seatbelt chime, it's less annoying when not wearing them.

There - all out of excuses (LOL).

OTOH - I once started a thread complaining about the 105MPH speed limiter on the truck - and 1/2 the answers were Karens lecturing me on why I shouldn't ever be going that fast...

YMMV...

Rick

Skipping the seatbelt only endangers yourself so be my guest in that regard.

As for MDS I do notice it but Im getting 20+ mpg and am glad to have it.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Right? I'm reading all the crybabies thinking to myself "ooh yeah, gotta hate that feeling of saving money" :sneaky:

This crybaby right here manages to get 25 mpg with MDS disabled. Dunno about you, but I'm thinking to myself "sucks to be those guys driving with a spasmodic truck and still getting less MPG than me!" ;)

PMantle

Reaction score
You don't understand, I am spiritually in tune with each revolution of the engine and MDS turning on and off is like a literal kick to the nuts every time :LOL:
This is fascinating to me. I have been paying more attention to this since reading these comments. There is no way anyone would know in my truck. O% chance.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
This is fascinating to me. I have been paying more attention to this since reading these comments. There is no way anyone would know in my truck. O% chance.
I used to not notice, ever. Swapping the exhaust made me aware of the change in note.
I've since gone back to stock because of this, but still notice now. Wish I'd never done that and stayed with stock.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I dunno man, you got the letter O mixed up with 0

Drewster

Reaction score
This crybaby right here manages to get 25 mpg with MDS disabled. Dunno about you, but I'm thinking to myself "sucks to be those guys driving with a spasmodic truck and still getting less MPG than me!" ;)
Imagine how many more miles per gallon you would get if you had MDS enabled. Your commute and driving style allow you to get 25MPG - if you apply that same scenario but use MDS, the car will get *more* efficient, not less.

Four running cylinders uses less fuel than eight, period. If you're *actually* altering your driving enough to eek out 25MPG, allowing MDS to engage would get you even more since that means you're already operating in low load scenarios where MDS is designed to shine.

Users who are viewing this thread