5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why still no MDS Disable 3rd party device?

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone know what the holdup is for a simple MDS delete module like the "Range" devices that sell for under $200?
There is nothing out there at or below $200 that will turn off MDS permantly on a 2020 Ram.
Before anyone asks 'why would you want to turn it off' or 'just press the lockout to -8', I just want it gone for good. I'm one of those drivers that feels everything and notice when it kicks out of MDS. I hate pressing gently on the gas just to feel the truck struggle to keep it's MDS engaged, then it POP's out. I feel it every time and I know I'm not the only one. This truck is the smoothest damn truck I've ever owned until that MDS butts in.
I had an F150 with auto start/stop which i hated. Yes I could have pushed the button every time I started the truck, but instead I paid $99 for a module that installed behind the switch and I never had to push a button again.
I wonder if 'Range' has one in development for our 5th gen trucks or if our trucks are just too sophisticated for a simple solution like Range?
What is the least expensive way currently to disable MDS permanently? (without having to beg a dealer service person) I'm guessing an expensive tuner?

Reel Irie

Reaction score
following -- I want mine off most of the time, as I am 90% city driving and it kicks on and off too much and I feel it. Would still like the ability to activate it if traveling on highways

WIll try the gear shift thing but seems like a PITA....

airclnr

Reaction score
The gear thing is a pain. My wife has a 2017 Grand Cherokee with the Hemi and it has a button that turns off ECO mode. Why couldn't we just have this?

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've been doing the gear select for a few years now, it's tedious but second nature at this point. At least there is way to disable it

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
PCM is locked - have to work around that before addressing. I do the "gear thing". Allows me to leave MDS active for the rare situations I want it. Is pushing one button 1 or 2 times really that big of a deal that you would spend hundreds of dollars to avoid doing so?

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is pushing one button 1 or 2 times really that big of a deal that you would spend hundreds of dollars to avoid doing so?
Actually, since i disable it right after i put it in drive it's about 8 clicks every time. (not 1 or 2)
And yes, I've put the number at $200 (or less) that I will pay to turn it off permanently. It's worth that to me.

U

User_3336

I just wait til I'm in 8th, and its only one click.

Actually, since i disable it right after i put it in drive it's about 8 clicks every time. (not 1 or 2)
And yes, I've put the number at $200 (or less) that I will pay to turn it off permanently. It's worth that to me.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm with you on that. I'd pay $200 to permanently disable MDS.
I just wait til I'm in 8th, and its only one click.
I do the button dance as soon as I shift into D. If I waited until I got into 8th gear I'd be waiting for quite a while since the streets where I live are all 25 mph. It's more consistent if I always do that at the same time, kind of like putting on my seat belt, even if it's more buttons to press. For me it's not that I have to press the buttons 8 times, it's that I have to do that every time I shift into D. It's my truck...I should be able to turn that off permanently if I want to. :cool:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have a device in the works, but will become a site supporter before advertising - it's currently in beta, so I'm hoping we release soon!
Hope this happens. The main question I have about it is whether it leaves a footprint when removed. I'm a little concerned that my warranty could be voided by it if I have a power train issue.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Haven't really played with it since initial install, but doesn't the Tazer DT allow this?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Haven't really played with it since initial install, but doesn't the Tazer DT allow this?
No. It does remember your stop/start setting, effectively allowing you to permanently disable that. But nothing for disabling MDS.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What would be great is something that would just keep the gear limiter in the -8 setting every time the truck is started. This way you wouldn't actually have to mess with the MDS settings in the engine. Just tell the gear limit switch to stay in -8.

silver billet

Reaction score
What would be great is something that would just keep the gear limiter in the -8 setting every time the truck is started. This way you wouldn't actually have to mess with the MDS settings in the engine. Just tell the gear limit switch to stay in -8.

That makes sense if you use the switch to turn off MDS, but not if you use the switch because you're towing or whatever. A better solution would be a toggle switch (like the park sensors), or something in UConnect.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That makes sense if you use the switch to turn off MDS, but not if you use the switch because you're towing or whatever. A better solution would be a toggle switch (like the park sensors), or something in UConnect.
Of course, that would be perfect. But RAM will never allow that. They, along with all carmakers, purposely have to make it difficult to permanently disable fuel saving gimmicks, ah I mean fuel saving features, on new vehicles.
I was referring to anyone who might make an aftermarket module to turn it off; Which I'm still willing to pay $200 for.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Is MDS only a feature with trucks equipped with start / stop?

MDS is on all the 5.7L Hemis. Interestingly, all the E-Torque 5.7L come with start/stop, but Hemis without E-Torque don't have start/stop.

If you don't have an aftermarket muffler, you likely won't notice MDS operation. Also, I suggest you activate the "Eco" light in your options list for your dash, on current gen RAMs, when the Eco light is on, the MDS is operating.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you don't have an aftermarket muffler, you likely won't notice MDS operation.
Respectfully have to disagree with this statement.
I drive with a light foot on the gas most of the time. I can feel when the engine is struggling to maintain MDS, and then when it suddenly pop's out of MDS mode. It's extremely noticeable if you're aware of the system and how it works. I would imagine people who don't much care for the intricacies of the modern engine wouldn't notice what was happening, but I am constantly reminded of the MDS system via my right foot, seat of my pants, and the sound/feel of 4 cylinders suddenly coming to life.
It's a great concept, but the reality is it makes the engine feel much less smooth than without it.

Users who are viewing this thread