5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why so much hate for MDS and auto stop/start?

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sounds great! They might make you put a shirt on under the overalls, though
giphy.gif
Is that why all them fellers at the Starstruck coffee pot place where fanning themselves and fainting in their green toast? Figured sumthin was wrong. I thought they all burned their tounges on the hot coffee, talking with a lisp and all.

I don't need no fluffy shirt under my coveralls. Heck, they cover all don't they? It's right in the name. My nipples don't need protecting anyway. They are tough as steel!

Ramjack

Reaction score
I'm not the one mocking and disparaging an entire subset of American culture. I realize it is unfathomable to you that anyone would actually have a picogram of respect for that particular subset, or any other subset which you deem to be wasteful of pulmonary function.

Last edited:

Drewster

Reaction score
I'm not the one mocking and disparaging an entire subset of American culture.
5agqfo
5agqfo.jpg

Lighten up - all I'm saying is that folks hating on MDS and Start Stop are doing so purely out of emotion/ opinion. That's totally fine, but trying to apply logic to it like the OP of this thread is just pointless, because the decision has nothing to do with math or logic.

Ramjack

Reaction score
5agqfo
5agqfo.jpg

Lighten up - all I'm saying is that folks hating on MDS and Start Stop are doing so purely out of emotion/ opinion. That's totally fine, but trying to apply logic to it like the OP of this thread is just pointless, because the decision has nothing to do with math or logic.
No, you basically said those who don't love MDS and start/stop are a bunch of country-bumpkin rednecks who "gotsta have 'muh V8". Talk about polarizing.

Ramjack

Reaction score
5agqfo

. . . but trying to apply logic to it like the OP of this thread is just pointless, because the decision has nothing to do with math or logic.
Again, implying that you are a superior intellectual being and that your line of thinking is infallible.

BowDown

Reaction score
Damn…read the title and thought it would interesting to understand opinions of guys who hate MDS and/or auto start/stop.

As I read through thus I find it’s become a sausage waving contest for guys to see who has the biggest. At my age I don’t even stand a chance of measuring up against guys with user names like FuzzNutz, Ramjack and Bowdown! I’m out of this discussion if ToMyKnees or DragginonDaGround joins in this spirited discussion!

Two guys are taking a leak off a bridge into a river. Trying to one up each other, one says "damn, this water is cold". The other replies "yeah, deep too"

Thanks for summarizing what you quoted me as saying.

Ha I've learned 2 things in this discussion, maybe 3 now. I learned I don't have eTorque, and my coworker was wrong about Chrysler getting the 5.7 block from gm. Now I learned maybe I need to change my username because I've never won a big peepee contest, but yet somehow you threw me into one I don't think I belong in.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

1621624946582.jpeg

Drewster

Reaction score
Again, implying that you are a superior intellectual being and that your line of thinking is infallible.
No, I'm saying that folks specifically looking to disable efficiency features to make it a full-time V8 are ultimately doing it because they feel like it, not because it's a logical decision. Trying to apply logic is just going to create a 7 page thread of folks who won't change their mind regardless of logic you put in front of them.

People make choices based on preference alone all the time. I like black T-Shirts, but if my wife asks my why I'm wearing black on a hot day, she's not going to get a logical answer because my preference had nothing to do with logic. "Black absorbs more light, it'll be hotter!" ..doesn't matter, it's what I like. This is the exact same thing - both MDS and eTorque *are* helpful for fuel economy and don't have a meaningful impact on longevity based on every measure, and there's no logical reason why you'd want to ditch either, but yet a lot of truck guys just do.

That being said, yes, I did generalize truck owners who want a full time V8 and don't care about efficiency... or the fact that there are cheaper, American made trucks that don't have those features to start with... but based on numerous conversations I've had on here with folks who *insist* on taking the economy hit by disabling features they paid for... I don't think my generalizations are too far off.

Ramjack

Reaction score
That being said, yes, I did generalize truck owners who want a full time V8 and don't care about efficiency... ... I don't think my generalizations are too far off.
You mean your generalizations that they are inferior individuals with a dearth of gray matter?

Last edited:

vincentw56

Reaction score
Wow, I was just wanting to see some reasons why people don't like these features and then the Internet took over.

2020 Bighorn Night Edition, 5.7 Hemi w/eTorque

Drewster

Reaction score
Wow, I was just wanting to see some reasons why people don't like these features and then the Internet took over.

I mean seriously, the most common reason I've seen is "I just want my engine to run as a V8 100% of the time"

I've also heard that with an aftermarket exhaust the MDS exhaust sound is less than desirable, which makes sense.

Ramjack

Reaction score
I mean seriously, the most common reason I've seen is "I just want my engine to run as a V8 100% of the time"

I've also heard that with an aftermarket exhaust the MDS exhaust sound is less than desirable, which makes sense.
"I just want my engine to run as a V8 100% of the time" . . . perhaps because it's not as immediately responsive as it would be otherwise. That's a valid concern for some, even if you cannot feel the difference. Perhaps they are not able to articulate it in a way that would make you consider it a worthwhile objection. That doesn't make it invalid.

Ramjack

Reaction score

Sorry you had to witness it. He just pushed the wrong button.

Drewster

Reaction score
"I just want my engine to run as a V8 100% of the time" . . . perhaps because it's not as immediately responsive as it would be otherwise. That's a valid concern for some, even if you cannot feel the difference. Perhaps they are not able to articulate it in a way that would make you consider it a worthwhile objection. That doesn't make it invalid.
I mean, there's a guy on another page who swears his TB spacer is the best thing he's ever done.. even though an independent dyno shows that spacer reduces power output.

Again, it's subjective opinion with no actual data. I'm not saying you're not allowed to enjoy vanilla, I'm saying no one has produced any facts or data to say why vanilla is superior to chocolate.

If someone were to pull a log and found there was a half second delay in load transitions, that would be a pretty good reason to disable MDS... but no one has offered anything but their opinion.

BowDown

Reaction score

Yes it is, MDS disables in milliseconds and has yet to impact my performance, perhaps your needs a blue pill? :oops:

Anyone expecting TRX, F150 Eco/PowerBoost or general sports car like performance from this truck is delusional. Its a 5200lbs (for me) truck that's meant to have truck performance

You don't see

Dumpster-non.JPG

(Mustang) guys talking about how much payload they have

Last edited:

BowDown

Reaction score
I mean, there's a guy on another page who swears his TB spacer is the best thing he's ever done.. even though an independent dyno shows that spacer reduces power output.

Again, it's subjective opinion with no actual data. I'm not saying you're not allowed to enjoy vanilla, I'm saying no one has produced any facts or data to say why vanilla is superior to chocolate.

If someone were to pull a log and found there was a half second delay in load transitions, that would be a pretty good reason to disable MDS... but no one has offered anything but their opinion.

^ ^ Fact, not emotion posted above

Users who are viewing this thread