5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why so much hate for MDS and auto stop/start?

tones2SS

Reaction score
Just saw that Ford trucks and SUV’s with V8 engines will not have the ESS feature. Chip shortage issue.
In my opinion, they should all be like that from the factory.

Remember back in the day when a V8 was a true V8 at all times? I do too. Actually, my 710HP beast in the garage still is. (y) 🤘
Sad, very sad.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just saw that Ford trucks and SUV’s with V8 engines will not have the ESS feature. Chip shortage issue.
That makes me want to buy a 2021 F-150 with a V8. Strange days indeed

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Right now GM’s V8’s are currently being offered without MDS or ESS because of the chip shortage. You get all eight-cylinders firing full time.

bucolic

Reaction score
Right now GM’s V8’s are currently being offered without MDS or ESS because of the chip shortage. You get all eight-cylinders firing full time.
Yeah but the insides of the Chevy trucks are so Old looking compared to our Rams. Boss just got a new top-of-the-line Chevy High Country. Nice looking outside and the power down and up tailgate is sweet but the dash is just out of date looking compared to the 12" screen in the limited. And that shift lever just seems so 1980's after the Ram rotary shifter! I don't even notice the MDS and I have had that on many Dodge vehicles all the way back to the 2005 Dodge Magnum RT I owned. I guess if your running aftermarket exhaust it's more noticeable but honestly other than the light on the dash telling me it's in MDS I wouldn't know.

Off-topic a bit but boy I loved that Magnum! That was a nice riding and driving car. Not the best looker or color but I really enjoyed that car. Drove it until 180K and only traded it because I ran it with a CEL for 20K and burned out the convertors. Lesson learned!

DSC_0150.JPG

Oldphart

Reaction score
Honestly, I doubt that most people notice the MDS at all. Plus, you can hit one button upon startup and turn both things off. Just hit the gear limiter button on the steering wheel once and, voila, no MDS and no start/stop.

Gear limiter does not disable S/S. There is a separate switch just below the 4x4 selectors. Aditionally, you need to hit the - gear limiter thd then hit the + until it's in 8th. Frankly I find this a PITA. I know there are several products out there that automatically cancel the S/S but I can't find one that works with the MDS other than the Pulsar, but at $500.00+ I'll go thru the PITA.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yeah but the insides of the Chevy trucks are so Old looking compared to our Rams. Boss just got a new top-of-the-line Chevy High Country. Nice looking outside and the power down and up tailgate is sweet but the dash is just out of date looking compared to the 12" screen in the limited. And that shift lever just seems so 1980's after the Ram rotary shifter! I don't even notice the MDS and I have had that on many Dodge vehicles all the way back to the 2005 Dodge Magnum RT I owned. I guess if your running aftermarket exhaust it's more noticeable but honestly other than the light on the dash telling me it's in MDS I wouldn't know.

Off-topic a bit but boy I loved that Magnum! That was a nice riding and driving car. Not the best looker or color but I really enjoyed that car. Drove it until 180K and only traded it because I ran it with a CEL for 20K and burned out the convertors. Lesson learned!

View attachment 97051
I agree with you on the Chevy interior. I test drove a couple of them before I bought my current truck. It's funny, I owned two previous Ram trucks with MDS and could easily tell when MDS was on or off. So I got into the habit of disabling it every time I shifted into D. With my new truck it's a lot more difficult to tell when MDS is active. So I've just been letting it do it's thing. Maybe I'll revert back to disabling it if I upgrade the exhaust on this truck, but for now I'm impartial about it.

In regards to your Magnum, I've always been a fan of wagons. And when the Magnums came out I came very close to buying one, but the timing was bad for me financially. I'd seriously consider buying one as a second car if they started making them again LOL.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With my new truck it's a lot more difficult to tell when MDS is active. So I've just been letting it do it's thing. Maybe I'll revert back to disabling it if I upgrade the exhaust on this truck, but for now I'm impartial about it.

I was wondering about this prior to getting my new truck since all of my past rams have had aftermarket exhaust as well. I had heard some other people saying it was more seamless in the new ones but I'm still feeling it even with the stock exhaust so I've still been disabling it. I'll still use it on the highway where it isn't nearly as noticeable, but around town it's the same old MDS feel to me (just toned down with the stock exhaust). Not a big deal as like you said I can always decide to not use it when it's not desired but I was a little surprised it wasn't smoother in mine.

I will say it doesn't bother me sound wise any where close to what it would with an aftermarket exhaust.

U

User_3336

Gear limiter does not disable S/S. There is a separate switch just below the 4x4 selectors. Aditionally, you need to hit the - gear limiter thd then hit the + until it's in 8th. Frankly I find this a PITA. I know there are several products out there that automatically cancel the S/S but I can't find one that works with the MDS other than the Pulsar, but at $500.00+ I'll go thru the PITA.
Not really . . . . I just wait til i'm in 8th and hit the " - " button. MDS off.

Users who are viewing this thread