5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why so much hate for MDS and auto stop/start?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I am curious to why so many people hate MDS and auto stop/start. I've had my new truck since last July and haven't noticed any issues with either of these, even with my new exhaust. I am simply curious of why people don't like it. And if you do like it comment too. But please, can we be civil about it?

Mirowpl

Reaction score
I like the mds. I had it on my 2009 and never had any issues. I do not hear the drone sound that others talk about either. playing my music load might be drow it out. 😂 the start stop works great. But I can see in stop and go traffic it could get annoyin...but there is a switch to turn it off when in those situation.

i think both work just fine and don’t see the issue with them either.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hated MDS on my previous Laramie. I could hear and feel whenever it activated/deactivated, especially after I upgraded the exhaust. On my current Limited I can't even tell when it is active or not other than the ECO light telling me. I don't have any issues with it on this truck. Maybe that will change if I upgrade the exhaust, but for now I'll just let it do its thing.

I have no issues with stop/start now that I installed the auto stop eliminator. Best $99 I've spent on this truck. There is too big of a temperature swing when sitting at a long stop light. And the A/C produces an odor when the compressor isn't running.

Buffchief52

Reaction score
I own a 2020 Laramie ETorque and drive 33 miles each way to work mix of city/highway. I use mds for a week and turn it off for a week with the gear position switch. I see absolutely no difference in mpg. Same goes for the auto start. I’ll use it for a week, shut it off for a week. No difference. I’ll say my 2015 Ram that I traded for the 2020, got a bit better mpg. Now, comfort, ride and quiet, that’s where the 2020 and 2015 difference is. So do I hate the mds and ETorque, no, but doesn’t seem to do much of anything. (mds permanently turned off in my 2014 Challenge r/t with a tune!!)

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am benign towards MDS, I don't think it does much of anything (it's also rarely ever on when I'm on the highway, for whatever reason).

I do like the start stop though. It's *barely* noticeable and completely unobtrusive. I do get slightly better MPG (1-2) with my local drives with it on.

Awood05

Reaction score
For me....the MDS system doesn’t really bother me too much. I was getting some vibrations in the throttle pedal when it engaged, but I started running 92-93 octane fuel and it seems to have toned down the vibrations. I also feel like I get slightly better (I do mean slightly) fuel economy. I can’t help but wonder if the engine runs more efficient in 4-cylinder mode with higher octane fuels.

As for the stop/start system, I HATED it on my Fords that had it. I even used software to disable it. However I haven’t really had the same anxiety with the system on my RAM. It’s likely due to the eTorque system, but either way I rarely feel the need to turn it off. It’s not as intrusive or lagging as the systems on my Fords.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I specifically avoided eTorque and stop/start on my Hemi

1) payload cautious. Didn’t want the 90 lb reduction in payload

2) shutting off while waiting to turn left is dangerous

3) I plan to keep this truck past 80k and don’t want to potentially waste $1-2k on the 48V battery replacement.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I specifically avoided eTorque and stop/start on my Hemi

1) payload cautious. Didn’t want the 90 lb reduction in payload

2) shutting off while waiting to turn left is dangerous

3) I plan to keep this truck past 80k and don’t want to potentially waste $1-2k on the 48V battery replacement.

Could you elaborate on item #2? Is it because you might be turning left across oncoming traffic?
For me, I'm able to get the engine to restart by barely lifting the brake pedal. I have never gotten my foot off the brake and over to the gas before the engine has started. But, I'm driving more and more like a grandpa as I get older.

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just to address this point, I'm not disagreeing with you that is potentially dangerous. But with the etorque system, the engine restarts as soon as you lift your foot off the brake pedal. It's running before you even touch the gas pedal.
its also started moving before the engine even kicks on(half a rotation) so there is literally no delay.

Quint

Reaction score
I get the sense that he just wanted to have three bullet points!

I don't notice the MDS on my 2021 at all so I don't mind it with my stock exhaust. The auto start/stop can be a little annoying, but with Led Zeppelin cranked I don't notice it except through the pedal.

LakesAZ

Reaction score
I have had Zero issues with both systems, MDS and Auto SS. The transition between on and off is so smooth that I only know they are working when I look at the activation dash lights. So a big thumbs up from me. (y)

Genxeration

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am curious to why so many people hate MDS and auto stop/start. I've had my new truck since last July and haven't noticed any issues with either of these, even with my new exhaust. I am simply curious of why people don't like it. And if you do like it comment too. But please, can we be civil about it?
I really didn’t hate it so much until my muffler delete. After that, it caused drone when it kicked in. It also sounded ridiculous at a traffic light when it started up again. When I install the Borla Atak on my 2021 I’m sure I’ll have similar complaints.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No Auto/ss here but I don't like the vibration from MDS or the slight lag I get when it disengages so I turn it off as soon as I get in the truck. Can't wait to be able to permanently disable it with my Tazer DT.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I really didn’t hate it so much until my muffler delete. After that, it caused drone when it kicked in. It also sounded ridiculous at a traffic light when it started up again. When I install the Borla Atak on my 2021 I’m sure I’ll have similar complaints.
You shouldn't have drone issues with the Borla. The startup at the traffic lights though...lol

Users who are viewing this thread