5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is the crew cab with the 6.4 bed not a popular option?

Kaderast

Reaction score
Did you make the ski holders?
Yep. 16 gauge steel, 3/4" wide cut into 12" long pieces, a few basic bends in a bench vise with a hammer, and a hole drilled so that it could mount with the topper clamp bolt. Slid a piece of 1" heater hose over it for some cushion. Skis live in the back of my truck 8 months of the year, so keeps the bottom of the bed free for other junk. 20220329_144958.jpg

monkeypunch

Reaction score
When I was test driving trucks, I brought home a short box (on an F150) and realized neither my 177cm or 181cm skis could lay flat in the bed of the truck. It was at that point that I decided the 5'7" bed trucks were strictly for soccer moms. As it is even with the 6'4" bed they just barely fit. View attachment 124571
My skis fitting is also a reason I went with the 6'4" bed. My 188 Armada Declivity's and 186 Atomic Automatics in a Dakine Terminal double roller fit perfect.

BigD

Reaction score
I got the short bed & I am in construction. I can fit all my tools in there no problem. Compressor, table saw, battery tools, air tools, tool belt, drill bag, remodel bag , even a tote full of extra clothes. I could fit a miter box in there too if need be. Any long planks or ladders & I just hook up my 6x12 enclosed trailer with Ladder rack on top.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Grew up in the back of a QCLB 2500 Cummins so I’m probably biased. Always loved the look of the long beds.
I’m in the “looks wonky with the shot bed” crowd, these cabs are massive. What are they going to do with the true 5th gen HD mega cab when our 1500 cabs are only a few inches shorter??

RandyMarionCDJR

King of Price
Reaction score
As a dealer, we have said the same thing. As someone who used to sell, from what I gathered parking was ALWAYS the complaint for the longer bed. I personally think it has to do with the fact that the 1500 line is more so for your average consumer and in many cases used as a daily driver. Due to this, I think it comes down to ease of use factors more so than the extra utility the longer bed offers.

eerattler

Reaction score
As a dealer, we have said the same thing. As someone who used to sell, from what I gathered parking was ALWAYS the complaint for the longer bed. I personally think it has to do with the fact that the 1500 line is more so for your average consumer and in many cases used as a daily driver. Due to this, I think it comes down to ease of use factors more so than the extra utility the longer bed offers.
You have a point there -- parking can be tight unless I am well on the edges of the lot

alpha_brit

Reaction score
You have a point there -- parking can be tight unless I am well on the edges of the lot
Yup, truck gets parked in the boonies due to length - choice spots are backing into edge spots and hanging over curbing/landscaping). The wider turn radius on the Crew/6'4" can also be a bit of an issue in tight parking lots. It definitely forces me to consider which vehicle to grab sometimes, and we always take the small SUV if we need to go into the city.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I live in an urban area and drive a crew cab long box as a daily driver and park it with everyone lots. I have been driving HD CC trucks with and 8' box at work for 20 years so maybe the 1500 just doesn't seem so big to me. I regularly parallel park it and use parking lots but will admit parking ramps can be an issue at times.

Kaderast

Reaction score
Parking definitely takes some getting used to. At this point I don't even bother trying to squeeze into spots, I just drive to the back of the lot and take the low hanging fruit. Tight radius parking ramps can be relative terrifying.

alpha_brit

Reaction score
Parking definitely takes some getting used to. At this point I don't even bother trying to squeeze into spots, I just drive to the back of the lot and take the low hanging fruit. Tight radius parking ramps can be relative terrifying.
Yeah, there are a few drive-through locally that make me nervous as they are acutely angled.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yup, truck gets parked in the boonies due to length - choice spots are backing into edge spots and hanging over curbing/landscaping). The wider turn radius on the Crew/6'4" can also be a bit of an issue in tight parking lots. It definitely forces me to consider which vehicle to grab sometimes, and we always take the small SUV if we need to go into the city.
I have a SUV as well as the truck and if I am going to the store or going out with friends, I always take my SUV because of the pain of maneuvering, and I only have the quad cab with 6.4 bed. Trying to order a crew cab with 6.4 bed so I know it will take me time to get use to that.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I park my crew cab 8 foot bed 2500 as close to the entrance as possible. Only thing worse than a door ding in a parking lot is walking the whole way across one to see someone had to park right next to you anyways

We rarely drive our Jeep Cherokee...lol. All the room in the crew cab and having 8 feet of bed for stuff just makes it seem so...well...cramped.

I find it harder to park the Cherokee than it is to park the RAM. The mirrors are so small and the back up camera is hard to decipher.

I have parallel parked this land yacht more than any other vehicle I have owned. The rear sensors and back up camera are very nice on the RAM.

It has to be super easy to park a 1500 equipped with surround view and front sensors.

I find all the different opinions about the same thing so interesting. Why they give us options.

Users who are viewing this thread