5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is the crew cab with the 6.4 bed not a popular option?

Moodyism

Reaction score
For the first few years of the 4th gens 1500's weren't available with CC and a 6'4" bed, only 2500/3500's were. I think around 2015 they started offering the 1500 with a CC 6'4" bed.
Mine a 2014 love it

JC4041

Reaction score
Mine a 2014 love it
I don't sit in the back seat and the kids were still small when we got the '09 QC (March 2010), so I didn't mind the smaller back seat because I wanted bed space. I traded a '98 Durango and '06 Magnum, had to get back into a truck when my dad passed and I got his boat and 4wheeler. The '21 however is CC with the 6'4" bed, wife traded her '15 Durango in on it, kids enjoy the legroom in the 2500 for sure now that they are 12 and 8 lol.

#a.jpg

Moodyism

Reaction score
I had given up on getting a quad with the 6.4. So few of them. I made a deal over the phone for a truck I liked and didn’t realize it was the 6.4 until I picked it up. Longer than my suburban but very pleased.

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
You can haul two full size (Dirtbike’s) in a 6.5ft bed with the gate close.
832eb507d56dc6971dd2253037a61e2e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My 450 unfortunately does not in my 6.4 bed. It’s either tailgate down or one diagonal.

johnehr

Reaction score
I think that the utility of the crew cab plus 6’4” bed is worth any headaches with parking or maneuverability. My last two Ram trucks (2014 1500 Laramie and 2021 1500 Longhorn) had this configuration. IIRC something like ~5% of dealer stock tends to have this combo, so not easy to find the right one on the lot. I got lucky in 2014 and my dealer was able to find one for me in another dealer’s inventory. No such luck this year, I had to order it…

a94ff46ae1c4acda962983eeb2ff2b8c.jpg

c22858342cda85d00d4eb23eed86a44b.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
I think that the utility of the crew cab plus 6’4” bed is worth any headaches with parking or maneuverability. My last two Ram trucks (2014 1500 Laramie and 2021 1500 Longhorn) had this configuration. IIRC something like ~5% of dealer stock tends to have this combo, so not easy to find the right one on the lot. I got lucky in 2014 and my dealer was able to find one for me in another dealer’s inventory. No such luck this year, I had to order it…

a94ff46ae1c4acda962983eeb2ff2b8c.jpg

c22858342cda85d00d4eb23eed86a44b.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Completely agree. Nice looking truck!

1awesomelaw

Reaction score
Just curious why I don't see any at the dealers. I would of loved to have a crew cab with the 6.4 bed but found non when shopping around. Sure I could of ordered it, but didn't want to wait. I have 4 wheelers and a go cart so having a 5.7 bed was too short for me.
Probably because it would be like driving a flatbed around way to dam long.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Probably because it would be like driving a flatbed around way to dam long.
I think it really depends on where you live/drive. Any significant amount of tight side streets and parking, yeah I can definitely see it being a hassle.

But if you hardly ever see that, don't think there's really a downside.

Hasti17

Reaction score
Well the Orginal thread was "why is 6'4" not common" and opinions on why it should be more common aside, its likely due to consumer preference, If given the option consumers likely choose the 5.7 bed substantially more often than they would the 6.4. hence the disparity, everyones reason for why or why not here is just a specific reasoning, while Dealers order trucks in the aggregate.

Last edited:

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well the Orginal thread was "why is 6'4" not common" qnd preference aside, its likely due to consumer preference, If given the option consumers likely choose the 5.7 bed for substantially more often than they would the 6.4. hence the disparity, everyones reason for why or why jot here is just a specific reasoning. Dealers order trucks in the aggregate.
Well, I feel like the only solid way to test that would be to swap the quantities on lots, and see if people are fine with the long beds, or if they straight up don't buy the truck(s) and go hunting for a short bed.

Of course, it would be neat to try and gather up the info from all the sigs here and see what's what. You will definitely still find more short beds, but the ratio will be a lot closer I think.

LouNY

Reaction score
I like my little long bed,
I say little in comparison to my old F350 CC with the eight foot box.
I had a shortbox and just didnt care for it.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well, I feel like the only solid way to test that would be to swap the quantities on lots, and see if people are fine with the long beds, or if they straight up don't buy the truck(s) and go hunting for a short bed.

Of course, it would be neat to try and gather up the info from all the sigs here and see what's what. You will definitely still find more short beds, but the ratio will be a lot closer I think.

Many dealers did this and ended with the same result across brands, similar to the extended cab trucks with a 5.5ft bed, they are rare because not many people wanted them but people who build off-road trucks seek after them, same with a small section of people who want a crew cab, long bed 1500. Or people who want a rcsb with nice options, I had to look for a while before I found one that was optioned out when that’s the truck I was after a few years ago.

Similar results with extended cab trucks vs crew cabs, dealers move a lot more crew cabs. It’s what the masses want so they order them, same with the option packages, they order for their lot what sells the most, they can’t move odd configured/optioned trucks as fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mmcbeat

Reaction score
My garage is really tight. I went with a 6’4” quad cab because it is shorter overall than the 5’7” crew cab. I don’t need a back seat, would have considered a standard cab if available.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Too much truck for most people, just supply and demand. Also, two piece driveshaft, no thanks. Always had problems with carrier bearings and vibration issues in my experience

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Too much truck for most people, just supply and demand. Also, two piece driveshaft, no thanks. Always had problems with carrier bearings and vibration issues in my experience
I mean, it's not even a foot longer than the 5'7'' crew, one would think people would seek out Quads more often, to get the length down by a more noticeable amount, but it's the opposite, people want the crews...?

I guess more people need the cab space than the bed space. I needed both. But if I was forced to pick between either a large cab w/short bed or a small cab w/long bed, I'd still go with the latter.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I’d have done a CC with 6’-4” bed if RamBoxes were available in that configuration.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’d have done a CC with 6’-4” bed if RamBoxes were available in that configuration.
Yeah, I wanted the Ramboxes too!

In a strange providential twist though, I thought I understood payload better than I actually did by the time I ordered; I didn't realize just how low my payload was actually going to be, but I saved about 100lbs on it specifically because I couldn't get the boxes. I wanted both very much, but I wanted the longer bed just a little more than the boxes.

The trailers I've been looking at would still have been doable, but most of them would have be right on top of my max, whereas now I have some breathing room.

Scram1500

Reaction score
I mean, it's not even a foot longer than the 5'7'' crew, one would think people would seek out Quads more often, to get the length down by a more noticeable amount, but it's the opposite, people want the crews...?

I guess more people need the cab space than the bed space. I needed both. But if I was forced to pick between either a large cab w/short bed or a small cab w/long bed, I'd still go with the latter.
They even removed the quad cab option from the Laramie because of the crew cab popularity

Users who are viewing this thread