5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is the crew cab with the 6.4 bed not a popular option?

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
My 11 Ram was a quad cab with a 6.4 bed and it wouldn't even fit in my garage because of my motorcycle and motorcycle lift, my toolbox, work bench and all the other crap that's in it so I wasn't too concerned about getting my 21 crew cab with 6.4 bed in lol. I will say the 21 feels much better on the road than my 11 did. Also my 21 being longer doesnt turn as tightly as my 11 did.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Oh no you didn’t! Clearly the city boys are getting in on the truck action and driving up demand for short trucks. But I would never get a short box.
That's a good looking truck, but it would look better as a short box. The short box hauls what's important to me.

20210914_123931.jpg

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Love the 6’4 bed! Was leaning towards a Rebel that just arrived on island in April, and came across my current Bighorn North Edition by accident. There were 28 1500’s in the state with a 6’4 bed, 27 of them were quad cabs. Only crew cab 6’4 bed at the time, I got that instead of the Rebel. Love the sport appearance included in the North package, but wish it had the hood, like the Rebel. But the bed size was the sell for me.
I like that I can load 6 foot tables into it and close the tailgate without them sitting on it.
She is looonnng, tho…sticks out of my garage way more than my 04 Laramie. Took a bit getting used to the length. The backseat is stupid huge, I can fit my guitar cabs on the floor, and still seat my grandkids.

And I don’t even waste my time trying to find a closer parking space…I just go to the empty section of the parking lot and walk, it’s just not worth the stress. 😑

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's a good looking truck, but it would look better as a short box. The short box hauls what's important to me.

View attachment 108278
I am in the same boat. I have Motorcycle‘s, four wheeler‘s and a go cart and a 5.7 bed is too short. I’d like to be able to put my four wheeler and go cart in the truck and be able to close the tailgate. A little harder now because I came out of a Silverado with a 6.7 bed so I have to remove my bumper on the go cart just to get it in there and close the tailgate. Haven’t yet put the four wheeler in there but I have a feeling I won’t be able to close the tailgate. I would’ve preferred the crew cab because I wanted the extra room in the back to put stuff.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
I really wish Ram would update the 2500+ to 5th gen so we could get the 1500 long bed with Ramboxes.

I think the CCLB looks more proportional than the CCSB and would get it in a heartbeat if Ram got off its butt and offered Ramboxes in the LB again

Mirowpl

Reaction score
I agree with you, habu987. I wanted the long bed with ram boxes.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And I don’t even waste my time trying to find a closer parking space…I just go to the empty section of the parking lot and walk, it’s just not worth the stress. 😑

I do the same thing with my short bed. Park quicker and away from other people's doors and shopping carts. I've yet to use the "autopark" feature. I just keep forgetting its there.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Love the 6’4 bed! Was leaning towards a Rebel that just arrived on island in April, and came across my current Bighorn North Edition by accident. There were 28 1500’s in the state with a 6’4 bed, 27 of them were quad cabs. Only crew cab 6’4 bed at the time, I got that instead of the Rebel. Love the sport appearance included in the North package, but wish it had the hood, like the Rebel. But the bed size was the sell for me.
I like that I can load 6 foot tables into it and close the tailgate without them sitting on it.
She is looonnng, tho…sticks out of my garage way more than my 04 Laramie. Took a bit getting used to the length. The backseat is stupid huge, I can fit my guitar cabs on the floor, and still seat my grandkids.

I do the same thing. My girlfriend gets pi$$ed when I park in the boonies to go shopping and yes, the back seats have way more room than the quad cab

Kaderast

Reaction score
They did, it's called the Quad Cab. 🤫
Yeah I know, we looked at a quad cab. But it felt too extreme the other way. Both kids (9 and 13) agreed the back seat space was pathetic. I have a buddy with a quad cab GMC Sierra that I've sat in the back of for a few hours on a ski trip, and I think I've had more leg room in the economy seats on a Southwest flight.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I started with a QC 6.4 in my 2014 and once I had kids used that as an excuse to trade it on a 2019 CC 6.4 and would never go back to a shorter bed or cab. I have a canopy on it for hauling and sleeping and always seem to fill up those 9" of bed space. Work trucks are all CC with 8' box so the truck still feels 'small' to me.

Ros

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My last two trucks were Dakotas with the 6.4 bed and that was just the right size for what I need a truck for. Between parking and rarely carrying more than 1 passenger the QC was definitely the right size for me. It's hard enough to find a spot in a parking garage with the QC as it is. ;)

There's more room than in the Dakotas (wow, rear doors!) and the rear leg room met the approval of my two 20 something kids. I'm glad the QC's aren't as popular as the 5.7 CQ's so there there was one with all the options and color I wanted just sitting on my local dealer lot with my name on it.

monkeypunch

Reaction score
I really wish Ram would update the 2500+ to 5th gen so we could get the 1500 long bed with Ramboxes.

I think the CCLB looks more proportional than the CCSB and would get it in a heartbeat if Ram got off its butt and offered Ramboxes in the LB again
Agreed. If the 2500 had the same back seat leg room as the 1500, I would have bought a Limited 2500 6'4" bed. My coworkers Power Wagon feels cramped in both the front and back seats.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I was getting a crew cab with a 6.4' bed I would have gotten a 2500. I wanted the truck to fit in my garage and the 2500 didn't, so I got the QC 1500 with a 6.4' bed.
I've had a CC with a 5.7' and that bed was a joke. Every time I hauled anything I complained about it. You wouldn't think a foot would make that big of a difference but it does. Heck with the 6.4' bed you can drop the tailgate and haul 8' sheets/board without overhanging. In fact you can put a bed extender on it to "enclose" the load and an 8' long item will still fit.
I loved my '14, it had everything but I couldn't get past the bed. It's the reason I sold it.
Although it is worth noting that I use my bed a lot so I guess if a person rarely does the CC with 5.7' makes sense. Just not the truck for me.
5.7" to 6.4" = 9". Where is the foot coming from?

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Because it’s long and won’t fit into most garages.

I only ever had 6.5ft beds and ext or single cab trucks.

This is the first crew cab and 5.7ft truck. I can haul my motorcycles, and Dirtbike’s just fine with it, I just bought a bed extender. As well as anything I need for the house.

I always lol when people say those with a crew cab and short bed don’t use their truck to haul things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BowDown

Reaction score
I didn’t even realize I bought one with the 6’4 bed till I measured for a cover. I had a 5’7 bed before this one and I can tell you the 6’4 is a significant difference in terms of ride quality. It is smoother and more stable in my opinion. No question on the highway the 6’4 with longer wheelbase is the better cruiser. Didn’t take much to get used to the extra nine inches or so.

You should probably re-word that 😄

Users who are viewing this thread