5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why are Limited and Longhorns city trucks?

Rustydodge

Reaction score
What size E rated tire did you put on the stock rims? I hunt in northern Maine 100 miles from the nearest paved road. The logging roads are treacherous and a 10ply equivalent is pretty much mandatory. I don’t like the thought of an 18 inch spare mis-matched with the 20s when I’m two weeks in the woods. That’s assuming I can get an 18” E the same diameter as the 20s?

Another option of a good load range E is Cooper Discoverer AT3. I went with 285/55R20. Havent had to put any air in them in 35,000 miles. Tread is a little under 50%

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
City Truck? Have you seen the latest fad in the lifted truck scene. They are all doing 24-28" wheels with crazy offset. Wheel size these days is not what it was 10 years ago. The tire options are there for any size. They put large wheels on trucks because these are LARGE trucks. They extended the cab 4" on a crew cab. I think the base model is 18" wheels now. That was unheard of years ago. The new Raptor has 20" wheels my 2013 Ram had 20" my 2011 F150 Limited had 22" wheels.

I think you are really maybe not giving a good look to the newer trucks as the 19 Silverado has 22 on the High Country and Denali. The escalade had 22" its just the time we live in. Hell cars are coming with that size now.

Im thinking you started this thread to troll. Because what you said is not even accurate. The limited Fords have 22" wheels. So what model are you going to look at with ford? So we can do an apple to apple comparison on wheel size. The super Duty has 20". The platinumF150 does also.

This thread was a troll at best. I replied and I shouldn't have but I fell for it.

jk15

Reaction score
City Truck? Have you seen the latest fad in the lifted truck scene. They are all doing 24-28" wheels with crazy offset. Wheel size these days is not what it was 10 years ago. The tire options are there for any size. They put large wheels on trucks because these are LARGE trucks. They extended the cab 4" on a crew cab. I think the base model is 18" wheels now. That was unheard of years ago. The new Raptor has 20" wheels my 2013 Ram had 20" my 2011 F150 Limited had 22" wheels.

I think you are really maybe not giving a good look to the newer trucks as the 19 Silverado has 22 on the High Country and Denali. The escalade had 22" its just the time we live in. Hell cars are coming with that size now.

Im thinking you started this thread to troll. Because what you said is not even accurate. The limited Fords have 22" wheels. So what model are you going to look at with ford? So we can do an apple to apple comparison on wheel size. The super Duty has 20". The platinumF150 does also.

This thread was a troll at best. I replied and I shouldn't have but I fell for it.
No sir, not a troll. Naive? Yes. I'm on this forum to learn. I'm kind of new to owning trucks. I have a 2014 Limited with all of the bells and whistles. I love it. However, when I wanted to upgrade to E rated tires, dealer and all of the well known tire dealers said that they could not suggest a tire size unless it was the factory delivered size. "Sensors might not work, might get rubbing on the wells, speedometer won't be accurate, etc.". So I got aftermarket rims and 17 inch E rated All Terrain TAs just to be safe. Clearly you folks have more experience on moving to different tires. I have heard from some of you on what to upgrade to and I thank you. As for the Ford reference, I'm sorry and I thought it would get attention, and it did. I don't want one and after doing some homework, yes I now know that all of the higher end trucks run 20 inch tires or better. So please help me out: I hunt 2 months out of the year on the worst logging roads one can imagine. The logging road graders/maintainers leave ledge and shale that tear the **** out of tires. So I need E rated all around and one underneath. And I want them all the same size. So what do you suggest when I purchase a Limited next year? What do I do for tires and wheels? Thank you for your help.

jk15

Reaction score

No sir, not a troll. Naive? Yes. I'm on this forum to learn. I'm kind of new to owning trucks. I have a 2014 Limited with all of the bells and whistles. I love it. However, when I wanted to upgrade to E rated tires, dealer and all of the well known tire dealers said that they could not suggest a tire size unless it was the factory delivered size. "Sensors might not work, might get rubbing on the wells, speedometer won't be accurate, etc.". So I got aftermarket rims and 17 inch E rated All Terrain TAs just to be safe. Clearly you folks have more experience on moving to different tires. I have heard from some of you on what to upgrade to and I thank you. As for the Ford reference, I'm sorry and I thought it would get attention, and it did. I don't want one and after doing some homework, yes I now know that all of the higher end trucks run 20 inch tires or better. So please help me out: I hunt 2 months out of the year on the worst logging roads one can imagine. The logging road graders/maintainers leave ledge and shale that tear the **** out of tires. So I need E rated all around and one underneath. And I want them all the same size. So what do you suggest when I purchase a Limited next year? What do I do for tires and wheels? Thank you for your help.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To the OP, I'd see if you can afford 2 vehicles one for daily that can be the luxury truck you want and then something like a Jeep JK that you can beat the daylights out of.

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
I actually just got to Kamloops right now, washed the truck yesterday but left my place 3 hours ago and am heading to at least Winnipeg if not all the way to Ontario.
MMmm... Kamloops... I have been seing videos of that place online, it looks like paradise!

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
I might be missing something here, but why is everyone being so mean to JK15?

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Who is being mean. He made a statement that was intended to get a response. "Time to look at ford" because of 20&22 inch wheel options on high trim level. We were merely breaking the news that he can look at ford but he will have the same situation with them.

Maybe the way it was asked or stated was a bit not thought out. To come to a forum that is brand specific and then say what he did would be met the same in any forum. We love our trucks and think it's odd to disavow a brand over wheels. Especially when all brands have the same size options in the trim levels he mentioned.

He could have asked if there is other options for the wheels? To be honest the limited with 20" wheels would suite him fine if he wants smaller wheels. We would have offered him the knowledge to get a truck with the offroad package because they come with the more aggressive offroad tires. Something ford does not offer.

65k ram on my opinion crushes a 65k Ford. The options in the ram are more similar to a range rover or bmw, audi. I know I drive them all. To me its like saying im leaving Rolex because the 41mm is too big. Well they have smaller watches. Ram has smaller wheels and as was stated I. Sure any dealer with half a brain would do a wheel swap faster than a nascar pit crew if he asked to swap limited wheels with 18" from another truck.

I hope he finds what he is looking for. I think he will find it in the ram. That being said there are other brands because not everyone thinks so.

RT70808

Reaction score
I vote for the KO2’s. I put them on my last vehicle and I will do the same with this one after I burn the rubber off of these stocks Falkens. If you’re concerned about the spare, order an extra wheel, put the same tire on it and do a 5 tire rotation.

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
Who is being mean. He made a statement that was intended to get a response. "Time to look at ford" because of 20&22 inch wheel options on high trim level. We were merely breaking the news that he can look at ford but he will have the same situation with them.

Maybe the way it was asked or stated was a bit not thought out. To come to a forum that is brand specific and then say what he did would be met the same in any forum. We love our trucks and think it's odd to disavow a brand over wheels. Especially when all brands have the same size options in the trim levels he mentioned.

He could have asked if there is other options for the wheels? To be honest the limited with 20" wheels would suite him fine if he wants smaller wheels. We would have offered him the knowledge to get a truck with the offroad package because they come with the more aggressive offroad tires. Something ford does not offer.

65k ram on my opinion crushes a 65k Ford. The options in the ram are more similar to a range rover or bmw, audi. I know I drive them all. To me its like saying im leaving Rolex because the 41mm is too big. Well they have smaller watches. Ram has smaller wheels and as was stated I. Sure any dealer with half a brain would do a wheel swap faster than a nascar pit crew if he asked to swap limited wheels with 18" from another truck.

I hope he finds what he is looking for. I think he will find it in the ram. That being said there are other brands because not everyone thinks so.

I get it... not the best choice of words, he admitted as much in his response. I actually think this forum is better then most in the terms of knowledge , cool attitude, and enthusiasm members have. I guess I just expected folks would take the high road and just cut him some slack that's all.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I get it... not the best choice of words, he admitted as much in his response. I actually think this forum is better then most in the terms of knowledge , cool attitude, and enthusiasm members have. I guess I just expected folks would take the high road and just cut him some slack that's all.

I agree. This forum is exactly as you stated and that is why I’m here. I think though all of us tend to get a little skeptical of these posts. I maybe should had read all the posts a little more thoroughly. End of day no one is mad or in my opinion being mean. I just think if you walk in and throw the smack down it gets met with the same tone. That’s all.

Like I said. I hope he finds what he wants.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think the community did a fine job. He made a statement, take it as you will, we gAve him all the reasons why the Ram is capable, and he did a little research and I think now he won't be buying a ford...no one is gonna buy that new chevy lol

Rustydodge

Reaction score

Unfortunate that your local dealer or tire shops would say that. There are a lot of load range E options that can be found near 32" or 33" outer diameter (275/55 or 275/60), which should give you 0 fitment problems or issues. For your 18" spare, a 265/70, 275/65, or 285/65 would match pretty closely. Otherwise you could buy an extra 20 wheel and get 5 tires as others have recommended. Based on your uses, id recommend the Rebel if you can stand the red accents and interior.

I cant recommend the Cooper Discoverer AT3 enough, based on how they've performed for me. Never have needed my spare.

jk15

Reaction score
Unfortunate that your local dealer or tire shops would say that. There are a lot of load range E options that can be found near 32" or 33" outer diameter (275/55 or 275/60), which should give you 0 fitment problems or issues. For your 18" spare, a 265/70, 275/65, or 285/65 would match pretty closely. Otherwise you could buy an extra 20 wheel and get 5 tires as others have recommended. Based on your uses, id recommend the Rebel if you can stand the red accents and interior.

I cant recommend the Cooper Discoverer AT3 enough, based on how they've performed for me. Never have needed my spare.
Thanks everyone. I'll buy the fifth 20" wheel and have them all match at 275/55 or 275/60 as suggested. Has to be a AT KO though. I thought about the Rebel but I need a crew cab and a 6.5 bed. Rebel only is offered in a short bed. And the color and accents are hideous (apologies in advance to you Rebel owners). Thanks to all for your advice and opinions but one last question: do I get the Off Road Package or the Protection Package? I need a full complement of skid plates.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I'll buy the fifth 20" wheel and have them all match at 275/55 or 275/60 as suggested. Has to be a AT KO though. I thought about the Rebel but I need a crew cab and a 6.5 bed. Rebel only is offered in a short bed. And the color and accents are hideous (apologies in advance to you Rebel owners). Thanks to all for your advice and opinions but one last question: do I get the Off Road Package or the Protection Package? I need a full complement of skid plates.

For your uses, i'd recommend the off road package. The only reason to not get that package, and option skid plates separately in my opinion, is if you prefer a factory limited slip (clutch pack style rear "locker") over a e-locker (selectable locking rear diff). You also may lose hill descent control if you don't get the off road package.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score

Go with the off road package for sure, it gives you 1 inch lift, rear electronic locker, full skid plates, different shocks etc.

Glad we were able to help. (y)

jk15

Reaction score
Go with the off road package for sure, it gives you 1 inch lift, rear electronic locker, full skid plates, different shocks etc.

Glad we were able to help. (y)
One last question: regular V8 vs. eTech? I hate the thought of easing into a deep ditch and pausing and having the V8 cut out, and then relying on electric and restart to pull through it. Should I be concerned with an Etch other than the newness of this engine?

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
One last question: regular V8 vs. eTech? I hate the thought of easing into a deep ditch and pausing and having the V8 cut out, and then relying on electric and restart to pull through it. Should I be concerned with an Etch other than the newness of this engine?
1st there’s no such thing as “one last question” on this forum... just keep em comin’ @jk15 ! ;)

2nd the eTorque start/stop can be disabled by tapping a switch if it concerned you in certain driving conditions like you mention. Additionally it MAY offer low rpm on-demand torque which could be helpful there, but without data (none published so far) it’s hard to tell right now if this would be true.

Whether you take on new tech or not is a bigger question that only you can decide on after considering the cost benefits and potential risks. For me it was worth it, though with the recent price increase much less so now... if I was restarting my eTorque decision I might forego it. Up to you, either option would result in a great truck.

Users who are viewing this thread