5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why are Limited and Longhorns city trucks?

jk15

Reaction score
Went to buy a 2019 Limited or Longhorn and they only come with 20” wheels. Very limited options to upgrade to a higher load tire in the stock tire size. Further, the “full size” spare option provides you with an 18” tire as that is all that will fit underneath, not a 20”. So it doesn’t match. The higher end 1500s are now city boy/girl trucks. Time to look at a Ford...

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum?

Pretty standard to have a full size spare be the smallest of the available wheel sizes for a vehicle. The tire will be sized correctly, and therefore, will not be a donut or temporary use tire. If an 18" wheel with tire fits, the 20" will fit with its slimmer sidewall as well...

As far as higher load tire options, are you saying you want load range D or E in the stock size? Should be pretty easy to find, although it will not increase your payload or towing capacity any...

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Ha. There are tons of options for all terrain load range E tires that fit 20" rims that have similar or identical outer diameters as stock tires. the 2019s come factory with XL tires i believe which are enough to match the trucks capacity. It matters 0 if the spare is an 18" rim as long as the rubber's outer diameter is the same as what is on the 20" rims.

Ford or GM's higher end trims are no different, offering 20 or 22" rims for years.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Went to buy a 2019 Limited or Longhorn and they only come with 20” wheels. Very limited options to upgrade to a higher load tire in the stock tire size. Further, the “full size” spare option provides you with an 18” tire as that is all that will fit underneath, not a 20”. So it doesn’t match. The higher end 1500s are now city boy/girl trucks. Time to look at a Ford...

LOL, I literally just traded in my 2016 F150 Platinum with ****check notes**** 20 inch stock rims!

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I've got inch load range E all terrains on my truck with 20 inch rims so I must be missing the point here.

Also it's not like you'll be getting anything smaller than a 20 inch rim on any other brands high end trucks and this wasn't just new for 2019 Rams either.

Last edited:

jk15

Reaction score
I've got inch load range E all terrains on my truck with 20 inch rims so I must be missing the point here.

Also it's not like you'll be getting anything smaller than a 20 inch rim on any other brands high end trucks and this wasn't just new for 2019 Rams either.
What size E rated tire did you put on the stock rims? I hunt in northern Maine 100 miles from the nearest paved road. The logging roads are treacherous and a 10ply equivalent is pretty much mandatory. I don’t like the thought of an 18 inch spare mis-matched with the 20s when I’m two weeks in the woods. That’s assuming I can get an 18” E the same diameter as the 20s?

Agitated

Reaction score
Almost every tire size 275/65-20 is an E load range and very common.

Also most higher end trim options on all trucks have come with 20” wheels for at least a decade.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
What size E rated tire did you put on the stock rims? I hunt in northern Maine 100 miles from the nearest paved road. The logging roads are treacherous and a 10ply equivalent is pretty much mandatory. I don’t like the thought of an 18 inch spare mis-matched with the 20s when I’m two weeks in the woods. That’s assuming I can get an 18” E the same diameter as the 20s?

285/65/20 which works out to 34.6 inches tall and 11.2 inches wide. I just happened to be standing next to my truck as I saw this here's a pic. They are BFGoodrich K02s.

20180814_191602.jpg

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Get a limited with offroad group, buy tires like @Jared B. If you get stuck there isn't any other 1500 that wouldn't have.

I would buy Laramie with sport package and ORP ...a top of the line Rebel

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I actually just got to Kamloops right now, washed the truck yesterday but left my place 3 hours ago and am heading to at least Winnipeg if not all the way to Ontario.

mikemcfarland

Reaction score
I actually just got to Kamloops right now, washed the truck yesterday but left my place 3 hours ago and am heading to at least Winnipeg if not all the way to Ontario.

hopefully you get away from the smoke. im dying here in the okanagan. i wish you safe travels. kamloops must be smokey as well. keep us posted as you head east.:oops:

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure any place is not smoky, at least in the west.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you get the off road package you get an identical size spare tire. I have a 2oin spare under my truck so your statement about it nots fitting is not correct.

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
well if you're heading to Ford for a truck, let's take this journey with you! We're not just here for ourselves, we're here for you! We took a backstage vote and decided you are going to need a Raptor....and then periodically meet us up at events to let Ram engineers steal every dang piece of intel they can off that truck. We appreciate your sacrifice!

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
well if you're heading to Ford for a truck, let's take this journey with you! We're not just here for ourselves, we're here for you! We took a backstage vote and decided you are going to need a Raptor....and then periodically meet us up at events to let Ram engineers steal every dang piece of intel they can off that truck. We appreciate your sacrifice!
Or when @alacombe upgrades his ORP for the TRX, he can be the first Raptor do be defeated in a torture test on 5th Gen Rams youtube page. And that brings up a good question, cause I could care less about a Raptor...what is the size difference on its spare. We seen the TRX can carry 2 in the bed....lol

Ram has been building offroad capable trucks for a long time, and this Offroad Package really stepped it up.

Users who are viewing this thread