5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who here is NOT happy with their e-Torque system?

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 22 crew cab with 6-4 bed. Very rare configuration. It is powered by the v6 eTorque. It’s fine. I consistently average 20 to 21 mpg nearly all city. I average about 23 combined. I pull a 20’ fish and ski with single axle trailer from time to time never had a problem.
What is so rare?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
What is so rare?
Agreed. Nothing rare about that configuration.

I have a 22 crew cab with 6-4 bed. Very rare configuration. It is powered by the v6 eTorque. It’s fine. I consistently average 20 to 21 mpg nearly all city. I average about 23 combined. I pull a 20’ fish and ski with single axle trailer from time to time never had a problem.
I was wondering where he caught a 20' fish and where he's dragging it off to. 🤷‍♂️

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Well, I’ve only seen one other v6 crew with the 6-4 bed. Also that configuration was no longer available at an after 2023.
There were plenty of them produced prior to the 2024 model year. Like I said, not a popular configuration, especially with the V6. But I've seen plenty of them on dealer lots over the years, especially in 2019 and 2020 when I was actively shopping for trucks. Most likely it varied greatly from region to region though.

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
I consider etorque to be a gimmick, along with a few other economy minded things on this truck.
What is that crazy active air dam thing doing anyway ?
Amazing the lengths they went to as attempts at improving economy, only to have it be worse than my gen 4 by several mpg.
The only thing i like about etorque is the regenerative braking. These brake pads are going to last forever if the pedal effort is an accurate indication.
I also like that i can easily defeat auto stop/start, because I do it a lot around town. Also, inching forward into my tight garage is hair raising if i forgot to defeat it.
Im not going to like paying for that crazy battery pack when/if i have to !

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I consider etorque to be a gimmick, along with a few other economy minded things on this truck.
Amazing the lengths they went to as attempts at improving economy, only to have it be worse than my gen 4 by several mpg.
The only thing i like about etorque is the regenerative braking. These brake pads are going to last forever if the pedal effort is an accurate indication.
I also like that i can easily defeat auto stop/start, because I do it a lot around town. Also, inching forward into my tight garage is hair raising if i forgot to defeat it.
The AAD drops down, is supposed to make the truck more aerodynamic at higher speeds to save fuel. It's all appease the climate gods

bullitt_60

Reaction score
They aren't gimmick per se, just designed specifically for EPA testing. Manufacturers have to acheive 36.75 mpg across their fleets by 2026 so raising their best selling vehicle by just one mpg in EPA testing makes a huge impact, whether it works in the real world or not.

I've only had my truck for a couple of weeks and not qualified to add to the thread, but I've been impressed with how well the system is calibrated. Coming from a 2011, my mind is blown by the fuel mileage! I suspect the transmission is due most of the credit, however.

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My '23 5.7 etorque is 16 months old now, low mileage, only 4,200 and live in the country. Etorque is pretty useless to me seeing how there are 4 stoplights in my whole county.
I will occasionally just sit at a stop sign for two minutes just to use/exercise the system. I have had no problems so far.
Because this Etorque is so seldom driven I do have an under hood battery maintainer installed and plug it in when not driven to keep everything happy.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My '23 5.7 etorque is 16 months old now, low mileage, only 4,200 and live in the country. Etorque is pretty useless to me seeing how there are 4 stoplights in my whole county.
I will occasionally just sit at a stop sign for two minutes just to use/exercise the system. I have had no problems so far.
Because this Etorque is so seldom driven I do have an under hood battery maintainer installed and plug it in when not driven to keep everything happy.

No need to "exercise the system" at stop signs since it should get plenty of exercise while you are moving.

Etorque does a lot more than just restart your truck at a stop sign. It also adds torque to smooth shifts and MDS transition. It also provides engine braking.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
No need to "exercise the system" at stop signs since it should get plenty of exercise while you are moving.

Etorque does a lot more than just restart your truck at a stop sign. It also adds torque to smooth shifts and MDS transition. It also provides engine braking.
You are not engaging the etorque battery while moving...
Anyone who says their eTorque truck shifts smoother then a non-eTorque is full of it. It also has 0 to do with MDS.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You are not engaging the etorque battery while moving...
Anyone who says their eTorque truck shifts smoother then a non-eTorque is full of it. It also has 0 to do with MDS.

Yep, total horse:poop:. We drove two 2021 Laramie's, 1 with and 1 without eTorque, back-to-back and we could not tell any difference.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yep, total horse:poop:. We drove two 2021 Laramie's, 1 with and 1 without eTorque, back-to-back and we could not tell any difference.
Maybe just the regen braking only at oddball lower speeds. I drove my father's 07 Yukon and it was coasting like crazy, I forgot how smooth and long large trucks can coast without etorque.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Etrq is a joke.. the mpg is worse than a standard Hemi (65K in the mid 15's mpg - mostly hwy - hand calculated) and I'm hoping it dies before the 8yr 80k warranty expires. From what I've read it's pretty expensive to replace and the dealer has to be involved..

Though I must say the shifting is smooth as butter and the A.S.S. is the smoothest I've driven.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The difference between the two? You could buy 10 alternators for the price of 1 MGU.

That's why I say 2022 was where the Ram 1500 peaked. It was the last chance to get a non-eTorque Hemi.

Users who are viewing this thread