5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who here is NOT happy with their e-Torque system?

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Shouldn't be much of an issue since it won't shut off if the cabin temperature has not reached close proximity to your set temperature and it will automatically restart if it gets too warm.
The issue lies in the fact that it's annoying as hell to sit in a drive thru or red light and have the truck turn off, feel the cabin get warm, and then have the truck crank back up to cool back down. I'm in a black truck in 90-100* heat. It doesn't take long for it to warm up.

I also dunno if they've done some tuning to help with that on the newer trucks since I noticed you have a 23. I know many of the older trucks had AC issues. Mine gets cold enough for me but I may actually qualify for the TSB.

cerbo

Reaction score
Must be a year thing because my 24 doesn t shut as long as the fan is ON and same with AC.
System is 1000% better than our 24 Mazda CX90 (it s awful). but that one doesn t shut down either if the AC is ON.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The issue lies in the fact that it's annoying as hell to sit in a drive thru or red light and have the truck turn off, feel the cabin get warm, and then have the truck crank back up to cool back down. I'm in a black truck in 90-100* heat. It doesn't take long for it to warm up.

I also dunno if they've done some tuning to help with that on the newer trucks since I noticed you have a 23. I know many of the older trucks had AC issues. Mine gets cold enough for me but I may actually qualify for the TSB.

I've had the AC TSB done, it no longer does that and the AC gets cold AF

Rambilt

Reaction score
Im not a fan of eTorque. I always disable the AS/S but I forget sometimes. It doesn't really saves fuel especially when I hooked up my trailer.

Houstontiger

Reaction score
You do realize this doesn't do anything to the etorque system right? Yes, it will turn MDS off but the etorque generator isn't gonna magically decouple itself mechanically from the truck.

For me I don't mind MDS and the push button for the auto start/stop system is right near where my fingers rest on my leg. I press the start button on the truck and immediately hit the as/s button. It's second nature. I hate that it's on the majority of vehicles now.

Alternatively - our CR-V that's a hybrid and turns the engine off all the time is literally seamless. There's no option to disable it naturally but it's so smooth.
While I agree that it probably doesn't shut off the etorque but there is absolutely no regenerative braking or the delayed acceleration from a stoplight while driving in the ERS mode. Honestly my wife's BMW X5 has a similar setup but it's so much better.

sblack33741

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mine is off 99% of the time. That 1% that the Tazer randomly activates it again severely annoys me.

My biggest regret is not ordering a non-eTorque Hemi while it was still an option.
Sorry to bother Dewey, but I see people posting what is in their truck, and I wondered where on the profile is that located for me to add my specs?

dajogejr

Reaction score
Im not a fan of eTorque. I always disable the AS/S but I forget sometimes. It doesn't really saves fuel especially when I hooked up my trailer.
I’m assuming hooked up to your trailer you don’t press tow/haul mode. When I’ve towed a 5,000lb smoker with mine, tow/haul enabled, AS/S never kicked in, it always stayed running.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’m assuming hooked up to your trailer you don’t press tow/haul mode. When I’ve towed a 5,000lb smoker with mine, tow/haul enabled, AS/S never kicked in, it always stayed running.
Even when you're not towing, T/H can boost the "fun factor" by disabling MDS, disabling automatic Aero mode on air suspensions, and significantly modifying transmission shift points! I even use it for engine braking on long downgrades in traffic, just so I don't have to ride the brakes.

dajogejr

Reaction score
Even when you're not towing, T/H can boost the "fun factor" by disabling MDS, disabling automatic Aero mode on air suspensions, and significantly modifying transmission shift points! I even use it for engine braking on long downgrades in traffic, just so I don't have to ride the brakes.
Yep… it does make fore easier downgrades for sure. Aero doesn’t bother me…. And frankly, I’ve never mashed the pedal at speeds wishing it went from 4 to 8 cylinders.

Houstontiger

Reaction score
I did find that I think a lot of the lag I am feeling from coasting/braking to moving again is probably more transmission related and ETorque. For example, if I am slowing to take a left across traffic and need to accelerate quickly to get across the road there would be a huge lag between when I hit the gas and when the truck moves causing it to be very jerky. I thought it was the ETorque, but shutting it off does not change anything, so I think it is more transmission/throttle setting rather than the engine shutting down and restarting.
My truck was behaving same way until the dealer reflashed TCM (transmission module) last week. The truck is driving much smoother and it's very responsive/predictable. I hope that this info helps.

Jmac509

Reaction score
I figured I would add my experience since this thread is back at the top of the discussion. I've got a 2023 with approximately 18k miles and I'm starting to feel harsh transitions at low speed. I was reading from other posts that the E Torque trucks are programmed to put the transmission in neutral at low speeds or when coming to a stop. I suspect I'm either feeling the harshness of the transmission shifting into first gear from neutral or the transition from E Torque assist when the vehicle first starts to move. I'm only experiencing this at low speeds and low throttle movements which is something I've never felt in a non E torque truck.

Houstontiger

Reaction score
I figured I would add my experience since this thread is back at the top of the discussion. I've got a 2023 with approximately 18k miles and I'm starting to feel harsh transitions at low speed. I was reading from other posts that the E Torque trucks are programmed to put the transmission in neutral at low speeds or when coming to a stop. I suspect I'm either feeling the harshness of the transmission shifting into first gear from neutral or the transition from E Torque assist when the vehicle first starts to move. I'm only experiencing this at low speeds and low throttle movements which is something I've never felt in a non E torque truck.
I suggest that you get your dealer to reflash the transmission and hopefully it'll get a lot better

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck was behaving same way until the dealer reflashed TCM (transmission module) last week. The truck is driving much smoother and it's very responsive/predictable. I hope that this info helps.
Thank you. I will get mine in for the reflash and see if that helps. Not the first time they have done that but it has been about a year. I got tired of bringing it in but it does seem to have gotten worse over time.

holi66

Reaction score
I liked the eTorque...until I didn't. At 89k miles, it quit working on my '19 Ram 1500 (with the 5.7 Hemi) and has now been in the shop nearly a month. The local CJDRJ service department has been going back and forth with the Ram "super techs" and still can't decide what's wrong. They are to the point where they are going to start throwing very expensive parts at it....to the tune of $5,300 or more. Ram Care has been absolutely no help. What really sucks is that I told the service department about the first time the start-stop acted up (while still under warranty) but they didn't put anything into the system as there were no codes for them to check. Totally disgusted at this point.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I liked the eTorque...until I didn't. At 89k miles, it quit working on my '19 Ram 1500 (with the 5.7 Hemi) and has now been in the shop nearly a month. The local CJDRJ service department has been going back and forth with the Ram "super techs" and still can't decide what's wrong. They are to the point where they are going to start throwing very expensive parts at it....to the tune of $5,300 or more. Ram Care has been absolutely no help. What really sucks is that I told the service department about the first time the start-stop acted up (while still under warranty) but they didn't put anything into the system as there were no codes for them to check. Totally disgusted at this point.
What symptoms are you having specifically?

bullitt_60

Reaction score

Mine is really annoying in traffic or when coming to a stop. The regenerative braking is not predictable when it releases. Sometimes it stops where I intended and other times I have left a football field between me and the car in front. Maybe one day the aftermarket will develop a solution to eliminate it. I'm sure it would be expensive but probably worth it post warranty.

bullitt_60

Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear about your troubles but thank you for posting. A reminder to make sure my complaints are documented on every service ticket before I leave.

Users who are viewing this thread