5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where more money should've went

Kramersp

Reaction score
As some know, I ordered a limited. I was thinking today, I've spent almost 2 weeks in San Diego and live in Maryland and I still have not seen a 2019 Ram on the road. Not a single one. That made me think, what should Ram have done to make these sell more. I have a list of "new" features for the 2019 and how it compares to current truck technology as well as what I think they shouldve done.

POWERTRAIN
5.7L port injected iron block/aluminum head OHV V8.
This is about 8 years behind modern engines. I think they shouldve put more money in here instead of strapping a electric motor to it. Maybe go aluminum block and direct plus port injection for more power and efficiency and weight savings.

8 speed ZF.
Good. Currently trucks offer 6, 8, and 10 speed transmissions.

Heated/cooled diff.
This was a great idea and is class exclusive.

E-locker
Welcome to the party. Everyone else has been offering it for a while

SUSPENSION
Coil/Air suspension.
Class exclusive and class leading for ride.

BODY
Shouldve went with aluminum for the door panels as well. More weight savings. Aluminum hood and tailgate is just playing catch up with the industry. Still didnt quite make the mark as far as weight.

Adaptive headlights
Cool, class exclusive.

Tailgate/ steps
It's like FCA forgot about the rear end of the truck.

Rambox
Awesome and class exclusive.

TECHNOLOGY/ INTERIOR
12" uconnect. Awesome. Class leading. Uconnect is the gold standard in user friendliness and looks. Maybe shouldve put in a heads up display.

360 camera.
FAIL. Not available with tow mirrors. Really? Plus it is old technology. A catch up move.

Adaptive cruise control
Catch up but stop/go is awesome.

Dash/ layout.
Class leading IMHO on all trim levels. Flat out leaves GM and Toyota in the dust with ford struggling. Just awesome storage and utility. Second to none.

Back seat.
Reclining!?!? Heated and cooled?!?! Epic. Nobody comes close.

That's my assessment. Anything else just comment!

ryelinek

Reaction score
Only thing I am really going to miss which I WISH they offered was a HUD. Having the speedometer and current speed limits showing on the windshield as you drive is just something I’ve gotten so used to.

The new RAM just kills the competition for where it currently stands especially in the interior. I was in my buddies fully loaded 2018 Sierra Denali last night and kept saying to myself how lackluster this is compared to what I am about to get in my Limited.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Definitely would welcome engine updates. I'm also shocked that with all the improvements (weight, drag coefficient, etc.) the same Hemi gets the same mileage. It's almost like Ram sandbagged the EPA estimate on the normal Hemi so they can post a bigger delta with the eTorque (assuming that comes in with decent numbers.)

Would love a seat massage option because I have it now and those all day drives can't be shaken off like they used to.

I do think they should have made a bigger deal out of the bed step. I got to jump up and down on one at the Houston Auto show and heartily believe it's far better than Ford or Chevy's approach. Ram just hasn't made a big enough deal about it.

Kramersp

Reaction score
I really think FCA simply ran out of development money for the new Ram. They also (admittedly) tried to be first to market with the 2019's in an attempt to knock Silverado out of 2nd place for sales. You know how to knock them out of 2nd? Be REVOLUTIONARY not evolutionary. But yea, the powertrain isnt even evolutionary. Its 8 years old. Everyone is now talking about the hellcat powered TRX. Problem is, the engine in the Raptor only needs a simple tune and maybe slightly different turbos to put out over 600hp (look at the ford GT) and ford is making a 7.0L V8 right now. Ram really shouldve dumped more money into that powertrain.

cjgerson

Reaction score
I really think FCA simply ran out of development money for the new Ram. They also (admittedly) tried to be first to market with the 2019's in an attempt to knock Silverado out of 2nd place for sales. You know how to knock them out of 2nd? Be REVOLUTIONARY not evolutionary. But yea, the powertrain isnt even evolutionary. Its 8 years old. Everyone is now talking about the hellcat powered TRX. Problem is, the engine in the Raptor only needs a simple tune and maybe slightly different turbos to put out over 600hp (look at the ford GT) and ford is making a 7.0L V8 right now. Ram really shouldve dumped more money into that powertrain.

Yeah I think timing played a huge role. I spoke to a power train engineer back in January and they are definitely working on a twin turbo V6 that will be over 400 HP. He couldn't give any details on any of the current V8 programs.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree wholeheartedly with most posts in this thread. HUD is something I was really hoping for but something I think we will see in a few years along with some new powertrain options, on the flip side at least we know the Hemi/8 speed combo is reliable so it takes some of that uncertainty away and pressure off the engineers launching a whole new truck. Remember the 2019s are just the start.

Last edited:

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah true he just said 6 cyl. I typed V6 out of habit :)

I struggle with that because a Twin Turbo inline 6 has a whole ton of potential, but I really like the V8 sound.

A friend of mine has a 2.7 EcoBoost F150 and the thing is a rocket, it's a very impressive engine but I always tell him no matter what he does it will always sound like a vacuum cleaner. I know I'm in the minority though and most people would go with the turbo 6 just based on its merits.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Insiders have said there will be plenty of new stuff coming...as Ram plans back to back awards for the truck.

Ram has stated they stayed with the Hemi to alleviate some of the new model worries.

There will surely be more engine options soon. The Hemi is a cash cow and FCA is trying to get to Debt Zero, and I am sure that is helping.

The TRX will have the Hellcat in all its glorious 707 Hp (possibly even get the 725 bump)

No fears here about a Raptor, and if they make a 7.0l, there is no doubt in my mind if the TR does come about the "lesser" 7.0l will also handle the Raptor.

@Kramersp really like your thoughts here.

I don't know why it took Ram so long to offer an Elocker as they have had offroad packages for decades, but I am so glad it is there.

And although it seems like they forgot about the rear of the truck...they are the only one to offer dual outlet exhaust, and good things are coming to the tailgate (probably when the Wagoneer hits)

Last edited:

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
so, I guess I dont totally understand the fails. Like they weren't the first to include 360 camera so...they shouldn't have added it? I absolutely agree that the tow mirror losing power folding and cameras was a major snafu, it was hard to find a limited on the lot without that package but I knew (mostly from this forum) to avoid the mirrors. But I wouldn't take off points for them adding adaptive cruise or 360 now. I get that people want "better" powertrains, but I specifically got this truck ASAP before they could make any adjustments to it. Like auto start/stop which the 2018 F150 5.0 is now standard with. I just hate being at a stoplight and feeling the power shut off. I know it's not a big deal to many, but the ZF 8speed and tried and true 5.7 were actually major selling points to me. I am probably not the majority tho, as im sure FCA is aware. I guess what my assessment would be is, they played catch up on a few items, which is why I am a first time buyer of ram now. I mean, there isn't a truck on the market better equipped, and that includes the all new chevy, which will immediately be behind ram when it is released, in my opinion. The one thing I have noticed after having this truck for a week....is that it's a brand new, top of the line truck anddddd not a single person has asked me about it. I guess the Denali and Platinum really have a shock and awe front end or presence. I mean, I've parked out in grocery store parking lots next to super nice 4th gens, away from he shopping carts figuring we would be able to talk trucks anddd!!! guy doesn't even notice....so maybe your passing them but not noticing them lol.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
....so maybe your passing them but not noticing them lol.
I can't believe how rare it is to see them right now. I've now seen two on the road in Texas—one here in Fort Worth on the highway (silver Limited) a couple of weeks ago, and one two days ago in San Antonio (black Laramie). And this is Texas, where 15% of trucks are sold (twice that of California, the second-largest market). It really feels like pre-production stage at the moment.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
I guess i'm in the minority, but i'm happy they continued with the same ol' hemi:
1. it makes enough power
2. pretty proven/reliable
3. For its power output, fuel economy is ok thanks to 8 speed, good aero, and MDS. (no more than 1 MPG real world average behind 5.3, 5.0, and 3.5 EB). It doesn't need premium. its performance is just as good or better (with exceptions of premium 6.2 or 3.5 EB) and does so with great sound and without sluggish programming. Considering the Ram is a little heavier truck, that's not bad.
4. Think how much $ FCA saved not continually revising or updating this engine. That $ was able to go elsewhere = the reason they are class leading or have so many class exclusive features
5. One less thing to manage during launch and one less thing to go wrong
6. Allows a meaningful mid-cycle refresh
7. Why dump money into a powertrain that's still competitive if you've got others coming in the pipeline. Focus on the new stuff, and if its not broke don't fix it
8. I've heard 20% of 1500s are the 3.6. Don't know but maybe 5-10% were the ecodiesel? That means 70% easy of 4th gens were 5.7 Hemi. If the vast majority of your customers have this engine and like it as is, and your research shows a great C/D ratio versus competition, difficult to justify a change.

Cluck

Reaction score
I have had new GM trucks every 2-3 years for many years. Currently have a 2016 Sierra SLT...and will be trading for the 2019 RAM. The new 2019 GM truck coming is still way behind the 2019 RAM in many ways. So I'm bailing on GM after all these years...

Kramersp

Reaction score
The only other company that sat on their powertrains is Toyota. Ford has a proven 2.7/3.5EB but they continue to improve it. Dual injection, more boost, stop/start, 10 speed. Same motor, improved. Not much money. GM had port injected small blocks. Now they are DFI with a crazy MDS system. Same small block, improved. Ram is lucky to have great interior and suspension engineers because the motor is meh. 5.7L should have a solid 400-410HP and around 430tq with a bit wider powerband. But hey, it is still a competitive engine, not going to argue that. So is the Toyota 5.7L and that engine is bulletproof. Still cant wait for my truck!

Agitated

Reaction score
As some know, I ordered a limited. I was thinking today, I've spent almost 2 weeks in San Diego and live in Maryland and I still have not seen a 2019 Ram on the road. Not a single one. That made me think, what should Ram have done to make these sell more. I have a list of "new" features for the 2019 and how it compares to current truck technology as well as what I think they shouldve done.

POWERTRAIN
5.7L port injected iron block/aluminum head OHV V8.
This is about 8 years behind modern engines. I think they shouldve put more money in here instead of strapping a electric motor to it. Maybe go aluminum block and direct plus port injection for more power and efficiency and weight savings.

Funny, this was the swing vote that made me choose the Ram over the Ford. After owning direct injection engines I don't want another one. The complicated hp pump and carbon build up is aggravating as hell. The iron block is going to be stronger pound for pound....and in a truck I want it to stand the test of time against the hard use I intend to put this thing through. It's not a grocery getter. The other things you mention will add $ to the sticker price.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
I can't believe how rare it is to see them right now. I've now seen two on the road in Texas—one here in Fort Worth on the highway (silver Limited) a couple of weeks ago, and one two days ago in San Antonio (black Laramie). And this is Texas, where 15% of trucks are sold (twice that of California, the second-largest market). It really feels like pre-production stage at the moment.

I've also seen two on the road in the DC area, a red Limited (pretty sure it was a limited, it was the other side of the highway) and a silver Limited that was pulling what looked like a short horse trailer.

That being said, two folks in my subdivision rolled up with brand new '18s this month, one a blue Limited, the other a red Laramie. Maybe the hefty incentives are driving more people to the '18s who don't think the '19 improvements are worth *that much* over the heavily discounted '18.

Lakewake

Site Supporter and Tracking
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Reaction score
I have had new GM trucks every 2-3 years for many years. Currently have a 2016 Sierra SLT...and will be trading for the 2019 RAM. The new 2019 GM truck coming is still way behind the 2019 RAM in many ways. So I'm bailing on GM after all these years...

Same here, I am trading my 16 LTZ/Z71 for a Limited. Had several other Z71's before this one.
I was shocked when I recently looked at the options on the 19 Silverado. Other than space, I thought the changes on the interior was a let down.
I may miss the 6.2, but use to have one with the 5.7 vortec and it was a good engine for that time.

Kramersp

Reaction score
Funny, this was the swing vote that made me choose the Ram over the Ford. After owning direct injection engines I don't want another one. The complicated hp pump and carbon build up is aggravating as hell. The iron block is going to be stronger pound for pound....and in a truck I want it to stand the test of time against the hard use I intend to put this thing through. It's not a grocery getter. The other things you mention will add $ to the sticker price.

Ummm, they put over 700hp out of aluminum blocks. Cast iron blocks are obsolete so that isnt even an argument. I mean, aluminum or CGI. Heck, there is a company that made a block from carbon fiber. Now that's next level but I'm sure not cost effective for a mass produced truck. As far as DI is concerned, diesel uses it with no issue. And the carbon build up has been virtually eliminated by dual injection systems.

Users who are viewing this thread