5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where more money should've went

Kramersp

Reaction score
I drove the 5.7L. I like it. Not my favorite truck engine out there (6.2L GM or the 3.5L Ford EB would be my two) but it sounded nice and was pretty smooth. The only reason I ordered the e torque is because I want more grunt down low and a little better mileage. My point is it isnt leading the pack in anything and it's old. I like my dad's 5.7L DOHC iForce Tundra motor too. Smooth, good power, sounds good, bulletproof. It's just 11 years old. I wouldn't buy a new Tundra because almost the entire truck hasn't changed since 2007.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I drove the 5.7L. I like it. Not my favorite truck engine out there (6.2L GM or the 3.5L Ford EB would be my two) but it sounded nice and was pretty smooth. The only reason I ordered the e torque is because I want more grunt down low and a little better mileage. My point is it isnt leading the pack in anything and it's old. I like my dad's 5.7L DOHC iForce Tundra motor too. Smooth, good power, sounds good, bulletproof. It's just 11 years old. I wouldn't buy a new Tundra because almost the entire truck hasn't changed since 2007.

I could never picture myself buying a Toyota or Honda pick up truck.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
The only other company that sat on their powertrains is Toyota. Ford has a proven 2.7/3.5EB but they continue to improve it. Dual injection, more boost, stop/start, 10 speed. Same motor, improved. Not much money. GM had port injected small blocks. Now they are DFI with a crazy MDS system. Same small block, improved. Ram is lucky to have great interior and suspension engineers because the motor is meh. 5.7L should have a solid 400-410HP and around 430tq with a bit wider powerband. But hey, it is still a competitive engine, not going to argue that. So is the Toyota 5.7L and that engine is bulletproof. Still cant wait for my truck!

So you'd be completely happy if it just made 5-15 more hp and 20 more lbft? Ram hasn't sat on it. They bumped power/torque, added MDS, added 8 sp, and have now revised the 8 speed (not to mention etorque). Not to mention other changes to power steering and cooling and parasitic losses that a 2019 hemi is probably getting 10-20 more hp/torque to the ground than a 2018 despite the same SAE motor rating.. Its like they've done with the cummins - have a good motor, continue to build a better truck around it. The torque curve isn't bad i think it makes something like 90% of torque at 2k rpm. Sure the 6.2 on premium fuel and 3.5 EB on premium fuel make more torque (+50-60 lf ft) but at what cost?

You could argue Ford and Chevy had to bring new engines and 10 speed to the table b/c of the hemi and the 8 speed. The 5.0 is just now putting out nearly the same power after its 3rd bump. The 5.3 is less but is more efficient, but also drives like it. I look forward to the new engines FCA will add but will be sad when we lose the 5.7 hemi.

Mopar21222

Reaction score
The dealers up here in Upstate NY are only just starting to get any significant inventory of '19s and with the 18's saturating the market and having large incentives, really only the die-hard "first to own" customers are buying '19s yet. Also, the incentives are pretty low, I'd imagine we won't see any significant incentives and discounts until Labor Day at least.

I'm one of the diehards, having owned Hemi 1/2 tons since 2005 and am ready for more torque, although the '19 feels much more drivable than my '14. Hoping the E-torque is not just a gimmick and I hope that a Turbo-6 will be launched for '20.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
@Rustydodge has a good point, the 2019s feel more powerful than the 4th gen Hemi trucks and that was even proven by Motor Trends testing where their 5th gen ran a 14.7 quarter mile.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
so, I guess I dont totally understand the fails. Like they weren't the first to include 360 camera so...they shouldn't have added it? I absolutely agree that the tow mirror losing power folding and cameras was a major snafu, it was hard to find a limited on the lot without that package but I knew (mostly from this forum) to avoid the mirrors. But I wouldn't take off points for them adding adaptive cruise or 360 now. I get that people want "better" powertrains, but I specifically got this truck ASAP before they could make any adjustments to it. Like auto start/stop which the 2018 F150 5.0 is now standard with. I just hate being at a stoplight and feeling the power shut off. I know it's not a big deal to many, but the ZF 8speed and tried and true 5.7 were actually major selling points to me. I am probably not the majority tho, as im sure FCA is aware. I guess what my assessment would be is, they played catch up on a few items, which is why I am a first time buyer of ram now. I mean, there isn't a truck on the market better equipped, and that includes the all new chevy, which will immediately be behind ram when it is released, in my opinion. The one thing I have noticed after having this truck for a week....is that it's a brand new, top of the line truck anddddd not a single person has asked me about it. I guess the Denali and Platinum really have a shock and awe front end or presence. I mean, I've parked out in grocery store parking lots next to super nice 4th gens, away from he shopping carts figuring we would be able to talk trucks anddd!!! guy doesn't even notice....so maybe your passing them but not noticing them lol.
Agreed! I chose the 19 Ram over the f150 due to the sensational new interior and exterior designs. Another plus for me was the fact the standard Hemi and 8 speed hasn’t changed for the 19. IMO, I feel better about a reliable older drivetrain even though it may be a ‘dinosaur’. I am generally more conservative and would rather see things proven before I buy. That’s why I am a little skeptical of the e-torque yet, but hey, that’s just me.

ichime

Reaction score
Agree about the engine and tow mirrors, but disagree with the transmission. Matter of fact anything over a 6 speed ruins the driving experience. I've driven two vehicles with 8 speeds and drove in one with a 10 speed. A common theme I noticed is how they hunt for gears off the line and the first gear is so short that it just shoots off the line with light throttle. I can see a lot of accidents happening because of this. Not sure if it's programming but it's really annoying when driving in the city or in traffic.

With the flux of turbocharged vehicles there is really no need for these short first gears anyways because of the high torque at lower RPMs. 6 gears is fine, 8 gears is pushing it, 10 gears is just silly (unless you're hauling freight).

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Manufacturers don't usually do everything at once. I have scene nothing but positive reviews on the new truck, sure the Hemi is getting a little long in the tooth but it's still competative and I'm sure an update will be coming in the next couple years.

Lakewake

Site Supporter and Tracking
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Reaction score
Coming from Chevy, as far as the engine goes, be careful what you wish for. When we heard the 5.7 vortex was headed for update, many of us were not enthusiastic when it showed up as the 5.3.
The 1st gen struggled pulling loads up hills, forced many of us into the 6.2 and the world of premium gas. After 7 years, so looking forward to 87 octane, a 5.7 Hemi and world class interior.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The 1st gen struggled pulling loads up hills, forced many of us into the 6.2 and the world of premium gas. After 7 years, so looking forward to 87 octane, a 5.7 Hemi and world class interior.
The 6.0L in my old GMC 1500HD has been rock-solid. It's not a sexy motor, with far less power than the 6.2L, but it has a higher duty cycle rating. It runs on regular gas, but it doesn't do a lot better on mileage than my old 8.1L/Allison could achieve. Now THAT is a powertrain I'd like to have back in my garage...

Much like you, I'm looking forward to giving the Hemi (with eTorque) a try, and the 2019 Ram really won me over as a complete package.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Coming from Chevy, as far as the engine goes, be careful what you wish for. When we heard the 5.7 vortex was headed for update, many of us were not enthusiastic when it showed up as the 5.3.

I hear ya there. I find the powerband on the 5.3 to be horrible for towing.

borant

Reaction score
Regarding HUD: I actually like that it is not available in 2019 and I can put LLumar Air 80 tint film on windshield like I have in my older truck. It makes big difference under summer sun. I have HUD in my sedans and it prevents tinting since film makes HUD blurry. Another HUD disadvantage is that you cant wear polarized sunglasses )

Kramersp

Reaction score
I hear ya there. I find the powerband on the 5.3 to be horrible for towing.
The 5.3 in my 09 Tahoe was nowhere near as good a tow engine as the 5.6L in the 05 Titan. The 5.3 doesnt put out much torque. It got great mileage though.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
The 5.3 in my 09 Tahoe was nowhere near as good a tow engine as the 5.6L in the 05 Titan. The 5.3 doesnt put out much torque. It got great mileage though.

I think I'm going to have to drive a 5.6 Titan, I've heard quite a bit about how good of an engine it is.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After test driving a few ‘19 hemi’s when I ordered mine in late April they are no doubt a little ‘slower’ than the 3.5 ecoboost in my ‘17 Expedition, but man, that American V-8 sound! It’s been awhile for me! Lol

Quite a bit slower than my 2.7 but that rumble when it starts up!

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think I'm going to have to drive a 5.6 Titan, I've heard quite a bit about how good of an engine it is.

I had a 2005 Titan for 9 years. I really like the engine in that truck, tons of low end torque just sucked gas like a pig. For some reason the newer years had slower times as I think they added some restrictions.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I had a 2005 Titan for 9 years. I really like the engine in that truck, tons of low end torque just sucked gas like a pig. For some reason the later years had slower times as I think they added some restrictions.

Yeah, the rest of the truck doesn't interest me in the slightest to be honest and I've heard that about the gas mileage many times. I'd like to drive one though to experience the 5.6, as of right now I haven't had any seat time in one so I can't form an honest opinion.

D

Deleted member 85

I dont know what to tell you man....it appears that some of us like the 5.7....
A tried true and tested V8 engine, proven, that runs on regular gas, regular oil, has a low cost of maintenance, has 4 cylinder deactivation as part of its engineered design (not a mickey mouse add-on to a previously existing engine), dyno's higher than FCA's stated HP/Torque ratings, that uses SAE tow ratings with fluids, tail-gate, and all production components installed (do your research, some strip out their trucks prior to testing, and not all use SAE), and only has one recurring issue in exhaust manifolds** (edited).

I think it's a no brainer we have the best V8.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread