5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where is the trailer backup guide?

my1sttruck

Reaction score
All,
I have a Ram 1500 Limited with 12inch UConnect system. I have seen photos and videos of the backup camera where it shows the trailer hook backup guideline. However, I can't seem to find that on my truck. Mine shows just the left and right guidelines but not the trailer hook guideline. Does anyone else have a similar setup as mine that can verify this? Or if someone has a better explanation as to why it's not available on mine? Below is a screenshot highlighting the guideline. I got this from the video below (2min 53secs).

1545340570403.png

-AT

grinch72

Reaction score
It appears to only work on the 8.4. Doesn't work on the 12.1? The zoom helps though on the 12.1

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
pg 568 in the Manual

Safety/Assistance.
Parkview Active Guidelines "ON"

grinch72

Reaction score
Went to the dealer last week and test drove a Longhorn with the 12.1. It had the centerline! Did not have the tow mirrors.

Hmmmm. Interesting. Everything I've read says the 12.1 with the surround cameras do not have the center line. Did the truck have the surround view? Maybe that's the catch? I'm guessing it had the surround view given it was a Longhorn! If you search the forums you will see lots of talk about it.

grinch72

Reaction score
Here’s something from another thread. Search ‘centerline’.

Ok ok. We have established that the 12" screen with tow group has the line. The 8.4" screen with and without tow group has the line. So if you have those then there is no need to inform everyone that you have the line because we already know you do. We have also established that the 12" screen without tow group (with 360 camera) does NOT have the line. So if you have a 12" screen without the tow group and WITH 360 camera and you DO have the line, please comment because then we will see that there is a discrepancy.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmmmm. Interesting. Everything I've read says the 12.1 with the surround cameras do not have the center line. Did the truck have the surround view? Maybe that's the catch? I'm guessing it had the surround view given it was a Longhorn! If you search the forums you will see lots of talk about it.
Yes is read those too. Here’s the VIN 1c6-srfkt3kn-681745

It has the Protection group but not the tow package. Also has Level 1 and Advanced Safety Group. The salesman showed us the 360 cam and I commented to him about the centerline when backing up. I was happy to see it.

grinch72

Reaction score
Yes is read those too. Here’s the VIN 1c6-srfkt3kn-681745

It has the Protection group but not the tow package. Also has Level 1 and Advanced Safety Group. The salesman showed us the 360 cam and I commented to him about the centerline when backing up. I was happy to see it.
I wonder if it’s the advanced safety group? There is something that a lot of us have that for some reason eliminates the centerline.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wonder if it’s the advanced safety group? There is something that a lot of us have that for some reason eliminates the centerline.
Advanced Safety gets you the 360 cam. Level 1 gets you the 12” display. At least on the Longhorn.

Maybe FCA is listening and this is a newer build? I didn’t look for the build date. It’s the only vehicle we rode in that day so I am not confusing two different vehicles.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You have tow mirrors, theyve had the centerline.

Someone else made the blanket statement that the 12.1 did not have the center line, that is to whom I was responding.

The OP posted no vehicle information other than the center line was not working so I pointed him to the manual... if people want 'better' responses, they should put their vehicle information in their signature... or post it when they as the question. ;)

grinch72

Reaction score
Advanced Safety gets you the 360 cam. Level 1 gets you the 12” display. At least on the Longhorn.

Maybe FCA is listening and this is a newer build? I didn’t look for the build date. It’s the only vehicle we rode in that day so I am not confusing two different vehicles.

Just looked it up. It has a build date of 11/10/18 so it is def a newer build. Time to go back to the dealer and complain!

grinch72

Reaction score
Someone else made the blanket statement that the 12.1 did not have the center line, that is to whom I was responding.

The OP posted no vehicle information other than the center line was not working so I pointed him to the manual... if people want 'better' responses, they should put their vehicle information in their signature... or post it when they as the question. ;)
I made the blanket statement but then tried to clarify. Obviously poorly!

my1sttruck

Reaction score
Went to the dealer last week and test drove a Longhorn with the 12.1. It had the centerline! Did not have the tow mirrors.
Yes, this is what I saw as well on another video that had the 12in screen. However, I am trying to find a link to that video. It seems inconsistent.

1stTimeRAM

Reaction score
I have the 8.4 with Nav and have the trailer brake controller, but do not have the center line. Can't find anywhere in the software to turn it on either.

grinch72

Reaction score
So I searched around the internet last night looking for picture and videos of the 12 in reverse. Not one of them I found had the centerline. I went to my dealer today and asked so we hopped in the only 4 trucks they had with the 12.1 in it. Not a single one of them had the centerline. I would love for the people who say they have to send a pic or video of the screen showing the 360 surround camera AND the backup cam with a centerline in it. Until I see actual proof of a 12.1 screen with a centerline, I'm not buying it.

Last edited:

Bhbdvm

Reaction score
It appears to only work on the 8.4. Doesn't work on the 12.1? The zoom helps though on the 12.1
I have seen it on two Longhorns with the 12.1 that I test drove. It had to be enabled but I can't remember the sequence because my truck hasn't arrived yet. But I definitely got it working but enabling something.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So I searched around the internet last night looking for picture and videos of the 12.1 in reverse. Not one of them I found had the centerline. I went to my dealer today and asked so we hopped in the only 4 trucks they had with the 12.1 in it. Not a single one of them had the centerline. I would love for the people who say they have to send a pic or video of the screen showing the 360 surround camera AND the backup cam with a centerline in it. Until I see actual proof of a 12.1 screen with a centerline, I'm not buying it.
You'll have a hard time finding that, as a 12.1" screen only exists in a Charger Pursuit Edition (law enforcement vehicle).

(The Ram has a 12.0" screen. See your build sheet.)

Users who are viewing this thread